don't click here

Copy-pasting into GIMP shifts pixels

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Herm the Germ, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    [​IMG]

Like so.

Specifically, the last 3 columns to the right are on the left whenever I paste any graphic data (for example Screenshots) into GIMP. Those same three columns, now situated on the left, are shifted up by one Pixel and on the very bottom left corner, there's three pixels, red, green and blue, for no obvious reason whatsoever.

What's the reason for this? Pasting into MS Paint and then from Paint into GIMP does not give me the same trobule.

For reference, I am currently using Windows XP Home Edition, SP3, 32-bit on an AMD Duron Applebred 1.6 GHz CPU with 1.0 GB DDR RAM and a GeForce 4 MX 440 with 64 MB RAM. :v:

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Doesn't Windows GIMP use gtk/glib for Windows? Maybe it's a bug there. You might check if GIMP came with an old version, or maybe a super-new beta version.

3. Bgvanbur

Bgvanbur

Tech Member
    USA
    a disassembly, some small Sega CD projects
    I don't see this problem with the GIMP 2.6.11 on Linux.

What is going on here is that the Windows cut/copy/paste buffer uses bitmap ordering for image data (start at bottom left, working on one row at a time). So for some reason there are three pixel sized data before the bitmap data that should be ignored but is being used when pasting the image. This is why we get garbage pixels at the bottom left, and the entire bitmap data set is shifted by three pixels. As Chilly Willy stated, this is most likely library issue (since Gimp properly pastes on other platforms).

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Huh. Okay then, thanks for the information. o.o I guess I'll just keep using Paint as a middleman here for the time being sill 2.8 gets released at last and hope they fixed it there. :B