Confusion concerning quote of Yuji Naka's...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Iapetus, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iapetus

Iapetus

Spinball Elitist Member
    From Aquatic Ruin Sonic Jam Strategy Guide.

"The top and bottom of this stage are built completely differently. The loops along the top are a bit different from normal. The water, also, had to have the transparency set exactly right. And then, there are so many places where the routes intersect! From Sonic 2 on, we took a patent in America. "

Different from normal? And what patent did they establish...?

2. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    I'm pretty sure the loops in ARZ aren't round like normal; they're a bit taller, with a flat portion in the middle.

3. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Only thing weird I can remember about the loops is that a path goes right through one of them...

[​IMG]

4. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yes, I always thought he was speaking about that. It's the only thing truly different about them that I can spot.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But what about the patent? Did they also make one for that kind of loops with a path in the middle, just like they did with the corkscrew paths?

6. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    The loops in ARZ are definitely twice as tall as the loops in any other zone. I'm almost certain that was what he was referring to.

7. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=359384:date=Oct 9 2009, 11:14 PM:name=Iapetus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iapetus @ Oct 9 2009, 11:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359384">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From Aquatic Ruin Sonic Jam Strategy Guide.

"The top and bottom of this stage are built completely differently. The loops along the top are a bit different from normal. The water, also, had to have the transparency set exactly right. And then, there are so many places where the routes intersect! From Sonic 2 on, we took a patent in America. "

Different from normal? And what patent did they establish...?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not confusing at all.

Everything is just true. The English translation is a little wierd though.

The patent can be found on the internet. Just search for his name and you'll find it.

So Aquatic Ruin is the first real Sonic level to use the cross path system. That's what the patent is all about. Two other levels that use the same systems are Desert Palace and Endless Mine. I love that system, as long as you can actually see where you are going.

Water color is interesting. Just shows they did the colors by hand, and not by math. Only 9 bit color components are such a limit to make mixed color transparency.

8. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It's amazing to think you even could be allowed to get a patent on a concept like that. I'm pretty sure similar stuff was done in Commander Keen long before Sonic 2 came out. Talking about intersecting paths I mean, not the whole loop-de-loop implementation of it.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=361355:date=Oct 14 2009, 04:29 AM:name=DimensionWarped)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DimensionWarped @ Oct 14 2009, 04:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361355">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's amazing to think you even could be allowed to get a patent on a concept like that. I'm pretty sure similar stuff was done in Commander Keen long before Sonic 2 came out. Talking about intersecting paths I mean, not the whole loop-de-loop implementation of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, you can get patent on anything software related in the U.S.

Basically, Microsoft owns most techniques used in the PC today, by patents. They are giving ownerships of the patents to their employees, but basically it is owned by the company.

Some stuff aren't even considered "inventions" if you ask me. It is silly, but devastating for us programmers that want some kind of a future.

EDIT: I actually had to shut down one of my open source projects because I found a silly patent claiming to own the technology I used, even when it wasn't completely covering up the actual technique, only an abstract explaination of it >.<

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Except this one isn't even a software patent - it's a gameplay patent. Those have existed pretty much since board games existed. Good luck dealing with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.