don't click here

Confessions and admissions of a Sonic fan

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, May 18, 2017.

1. isisdazs

isisdazs

OH NO Member
    middle america
    working on an album, currently
    Oh, this is the topic for me. Here we go:

I absolutely, unironically, love the entire Sonic R OST. It's my happy music and, dammit, it's so goddamn good.

2. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY

You're not alone. You are not alone...

3. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Oh geez, I only remembered this after looking through my old stuff while packing for school.

I took a summer camp on making video games when I was younger, and my project was... Sonic in Mario's World. Made a side scroller with Super Mario World tiles, goombas and koopas, and physics that make Sonic 4 look like Mania. I used Door Into Summer (God bless you Shadow of a Hedgehog, probably would have gotten a virus going anywhere else)as the Overworld theme and the usual Mario underground theme for the underground. Was only two levels.

Still, looking back at it, it could have turned out a hell of a lot worse for a 12 year olds first Game Maker project. I think I even got Koopa shells working. Then again, I think I had a LOT of help from the instructor...

4. Montblanc

Montblanc

My first hack ever was a mod of... Somari. Well, technically the Sonic variant. It began as a palette swap to see how it would look, then I had to learn to use Fceux debugger to change wich one used enemies, and ended up moving objects, redrawing sprites, changing level layout and even adding code of my own to partially fix the physics and unfinished stuff. I still look at it when I'm bored. :v:

5. Definitely not alone.

---

For a new confession. While I am first and foremost a believer in fan of Sonic, I do cheat with Mario. So much so at times that I conceptualized, as others probably have, a power-up in Mario that would grant him abilities like that of Sonic. It's a Blue Leaf. It acts sort of like a cross between a buff and a debuff (mushroom or poison mushroom/any monitor or eggman monitor). It grants Mario the ability to go way past fast but without the invincibility. It also has the added benefit/detriment of progressively slowing down the enemies on-screen the longer you run without stopping. I also gave it the extra twist of having the enemies becoming roboticised as they get slower.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    No harm in that. When I was little, we had a Genesis, an NES and a Game Boy. I never had to choose sides.

7. Indeed, I can relate to that. I had a Gameboy alongside my Genesis and Gamegear. It was at my neighbour's house that I would get to play with both an NES and an SNES. With my household being predominantly Sega in that period it really did feel like I was cheating on SegaSonic with MarioNintendo.

So another confession; while it is hardly necessary to pick a side these days, I really love keeping the feud alive. Especially since Sonic always wins.

8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I have a Chevrolet Sonic and just traded my Ford Focus for a green Kia Soul after some thought, I named it....... Green Hill :v:/>/>

Here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I used to own an old Saturn car a few years back. To be funny I had a Sega logo printed out and tapped above the Saturn logo on the trunk. Only reason I don't have it now was it died and was not worth the cost of fixing.

10. Retroman

Retroman

Sonic Adventure gave me a nostalgic rush even though I have never played it before which is weird. Ignored the cheezy dialogue, but looking at now, it was pretty cringy too.

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    [​IMG]

I only just realized after all these years that the yellow thing to his right is supposed to be his right hand in the background. All these years I thought that was a beak. It always looked like some sort of weird bird pinching enemy to me. Am I alone?

12. Nope, definitely not alone but my view was slightly different! I always thought it was some kind of snail with a beak. Its beak at the front, main body with eyes in the middle and a weird shell/bumper that it could move when attacked. I think it was its walking animation that made it look snail/bug slowly moving across the ground. It wasn't until the main series got ported to Xbox Live Arcade (2009/10 time?) that I realised it was actually a little dude with a bumper shield and a claw.

The Sonic R OST is fantastic and probably one of my favourites from the entire franchise, I still listen to it on Spotify on a fairly regular basis. I remember me and my cousin discovering that if you put the Saturn Sonic R disc into a CD player then you could listen to the music. We used to load up Sonic Jam on the Saturn and co-op through Sonic 3 and Knuckles whilst having Sonic R playing on a CD player. Good times!

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup I'm part of the thought it was a beak crowd. I still kinda see it that way, it's deeply ingrained in my mind, so I have to force myself to see it correctly

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A beak? Clearly some of you need eye tests =P

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea, it's a beak snail that occasionally has some seizures.

Obviously

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Omg, I thought it was a beak too! It took me a solid 5 minutes to stare at the GIF, but I do see what it's intended to be.

17. NyaNyaLily

NyaNyaLily

Previously CHRnyan Member
    [​IMG]
    Didn't Sonic 4: Episode 1 make it kind of obvious that it wasn't beak, though?
    Or maybe I'm just the only one who actually played that game. :specialed:

18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I swear the Sonic 2 instruction manual had a drawing of the Badnik to show it was a claw. I remember burning that manual into my brain when I wasn't playing the game so I guess I never had the chance to 'unsee' the claw

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It does: http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:Sonic2_MD_EU_manual.pdf&page=36

20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    On a semi-related note, I miss physical manuals. When I was little, I read them cover to cover. Even when I got older, I read the whole thing for new series (familiar games like Sonic I would just check the control pages, and maybe read the whole thing later).