don't click here

Confessions and admissions of a Sonic fan

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, May 18, 2017.

1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    You're actually not alone here, as I imagined the same thing (except only when I was on outings in the car); although I used to imagine 'my' Sonic cleaning up the place... which before that I had imagined him destroying everything (I was very destructive with my toys, and it came out in my imagination of Sonic too) :p

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic R might just be my favorite game to play drunk. It's short enough to keep my attention but stupid enough where in this state I actually enjoy it, ironically or otherwise. That's what I'm doing right now :specialed:

3. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    The last Sonic game I paid actual real money for was Sonic Rush.

(...and before that: Probably Sonic & Knuckles.)

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've been listening to a loop of end act songs for the past 30 minutes in the excitement of getting confirmation for my first apartment with my boyfriend.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Totally guilty of this.
    FYI, not counting Sonic 4, the last Sonic game I've ever finished was Sonic Heroes. I have completed about 95% of Shadow the Hedgehog, but The Ark kept making me sick and the level where you have to keep those bombs from detonating is impossible. I never got anything past the Wii, so I never owned any of the newer games, but shame on me fir never getting colors. I could probably get it fir really cheap these days. I did play the Green Hill classic demo from generations though. I'm dumping cable when my contact is up next year so maybe I'll catch up!

6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I forgot to mention one other thing I do, I find myself randomly wagging my index finger like Sonic does from time to time. Especially when I'm in a good mood or listening to the title screen music from Sonic 1. :v:

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Growing up, Sonic had a huge influence on my life in the weirdest of ways. I would want anything that contained Sonic in/on it. Books, Magazines, Keychains, Toys, Games, etc. While I have grown out of this mostly, it's still present in my quest to collect a complete PAL (UK) Sonic Game Collection. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have paid £80 for Knuckles Chaotix, and £90 for Sonic Spinball (Master System) in order to push my collection closer to completion. I was also incredibly tempted recently to spend over £200 on a copy of Sonic Blast (Game Gear), as it's the last game I need from that era.

My preferences/opinions regarding various Sonic games are also a topic that has some people scratching their head. For example, I like Sonic Advance 1 and Sonic Advance 3, but not so much Sonic Advance 2. I really enjoyed Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure, to the point of completing them both 100%, but I can't stand Sonic Colours DS. I thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Colours for the Wii, though. I also don't really care too much for Sonic Generations, either. It's OK at best, in my opinion. To be honest, I just don't care too much for 3D Sonic games. I mean, if I really enjoy a game, I usually strive to complete it 100% (or as close to it, anyway), but the only 3D Sonic games I have done that with are Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colours. I guess you can take that as you will.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I owned and played the PC version of Sonic R, with my version lacking the original music. I never really thought of it as strange until years later when I found out the game wasn't a music-less void. In spite of its rubbish controls and short length, I still hold a huge soft spot for this game, for the virtue of it being the closest thing to the Genesis Sonic 3D game we've never gotten.

All of the GameCube games I own are Sonic titles...which for some reason includes two copies of Sonic Heroes.

The announcement and pre-release of Sonic 4 was my first experience with the online Sonic community (the Sega Forums community at that). I'd say at the time, I was one of the more dismissive members when complaints about the game were happening prior to release.

When I got a PS3 and was looking for games to buy for it with my dad and came across copies of Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed, I was actually hesitant over which game to pick up. Mind you, this was after I had heard of the former's notoriety. (Ultimately went with Unleashed.)

I unironically think the originally Sonic Riders is actually better than the majority of Sonic games that have come out since the Adventure rebranding. With that said, Zero Gravity was a disappointment to me on how they changed the game mechanics, and I never played Free Riders (though that was because I never had a 360 or Kinect).

e: Also, despite Sonic being among my favorite videogame series, I never really bothered with the series outside of the games. Never knew (or bothered with) the Western animated series until years later, and even then only AoSTH is the only one I like. Tried to watch Sonic X while it was airing but eventually stopped bothering with it, over time I've really grown to dislike it in retrospect. Actually recall not liking the OVA when I first saw it (now its among my favorite non-game Sonic portrayals). Never cared for the comics at all (with the recent Mega Drive being an exception). Don't own any Sonic merch (outside of a talking Sonic Boom plush my sister gave me years ago).

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    In the summer of 2001, shortly after I beat Sonic Adventure 2, it really hit me hard one night that despite so many awesome, boundary-pushing games, the Dreamcast had failed. I realized that whatever happened from here, the SEGA that had made me a gamer, that I had loved for over half my life, would never be the same. I cried, hard.

I was 13.

10. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    Back when I was in elementary school and bullies would chase me, while running, I jumped up and whispered to myself "Sonic the hedgehog!" to help me run faster. Then I'd start moving my legs faster to be as fast as Sonic.

....I always thought I WHISPERED to myself, until 3 years ago when a guy from way back in elementary, who I had not seen since then, showed up at work and told me: "Hey! You're the guy who kept shouting "Sonic the hedgehog" at school!"

So embarassing.

11. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I still buy Sonic Games, even if i know beforehand that they're not good... and the majority of them on launch day...

I enjoyed some of the animated shows, like Sonic X and know Sonic Boom...

12. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    This thread gives me such nostalgia.

-I love most of the aesthetic changes in Sonic '06. Most notably, Dr. Robotnik's redesign. Fight me.

-I genuinely enjoy playing Sonic Heroes and Sonic R. I still frequently play those games for fun and never tire of them.

-I was a huge loser on Sonic CulT, Sonic Classic, and Sonic Spin Forums. Oops.

-I think the Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing games (and the lone Tennis game) are superior to their Mario counterparts. Especially Transformed. Transformed deserves the crowning achievement of excellence when it comes to party racing games. Mario Kart has felt like shovelware and a complete cash grab since Mario Kart DS. Also, no blue shell in S&SASR:T. Just skill.

-I wrote a 25 page argument for why Sonic Adventure 3 should never get made and how the glorification of the Sonic Adventure series has ruined franchise.

13. Felik

Felik

I'd read that

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Maybe you could do a YouTube version of it for us to listen to?

15. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY

I've been thinking of ways to incorporate it into something someday. I'd really like to get it out there in some form or another. I've also got another document I'm working on that's currently 10 pages and is about breaking down SA1 and SA2 to its core components, comparing and contrasting them, and determining why some vehemently dislike certain aspects of one game while blindly defending the other. It's near it's completion, but I don't feel like it's good enough yet.

16. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Got another one.

I've done solo playthroughs of Tails and Knuckles, but NEVER done a Solo Sonic playthough except when necessary. I always have to have Tails with me. I know he gets in the way more than anything, but the concept of having your sidekick/best buddy with you on an adventure has always been satisfying to me. Even to this day, I still wait for Tails to catch up so he and I can be in synch for all of about 3 seconds. Even in Advance 1 when I learned about the Tails cheat, I never played Sonic Solo ever again.

Which is why Taxman is the best because he worked Tails's carry into 1 and 2. Which is great since I never have anyone dumb enough to play as Tails in 3&K. :specialed:

17. Oh the nostalgia!

• Sonic 1 was my first game. Period.
    • I used to really struggle on Chemical Plant Zone, but nowadays if I hit a snag in Sonic 2 its Oil Ocean Zone.
    • Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favourite game in the series and my favourite game in general.
    • Due to always having loved the music; listening to any classic ost calms me. Less so with recent soundtracks, but I do still frequently listen.
    • I adore Knuckles' Chaotix, and main Espio in it
    • I also main Espio, and occasionally Fang, in Sonic the Fighters. StF being the game I broke in the Nebula Model 2 emulator with.
    • Aside from Sonic, Amy has my have favourite playstyle in both Adventure and Advance 1.
    • I prefer Tails' gameplay in Adventure 2 over any other of his playstyles. I feel like it really suits him when he isn't tailing Sonic.
    • I tap my foot and glare when I get impatient thanks to Sonic's idle animation.
    • I willfully skipped over '06, Shadow, Secret Rings, and Black Knight.
    • I adore SatAm and Boom. I am apathetic towards AoStH, and loathe Sonic Underground.
    • Upon release I wrote a fairly enthusiastic review for Sonic 4...
    • I wish Eggman was portrayed as confident as I took him as in Sonic 1-3k, CD, and Chaotix. SA1 did a nice job as well, but IMO he began slipping after that.

18. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Post that shit.

19. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I hate Sonic CD.

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Another thing that just popped in my head, I find Sonic 2 16-bit to be one of the most overrated games ever. Sonic 3K is so much better in terms of gameplay, music, and even art. I love Sonic's sprites in Sonic 3 but don't really care for his Sonic 1/2/CD sprites.