Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
  2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=312153:date=May 25 2009, 10:14 PM:name=Hivebrain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hivebrain @ May 25 2009, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312153">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd also like to resubmit this:
    [​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Indeed it was a very excellent concept.

The CRT display feeling is completely there.
    If it wasn't for the inner images to be too much softened and those black bars scanning so fast it would have been the perfect candidate.
    Any further refinement or concept is more than welcome boys! ^^

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    The blurred glowy appearance is deliberate. I didn't think it would look right if the image on a TV is as sharp as everything else. The black bar would be a separate sprite, so its speed could be adjusted at the programming stage.

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Definitely,
    getting it too sharp would lose the entire feeling, but I wonder how well shoes or characters faces will look with this amount of glowyness.
    The original artist / animator is welcome to make tests with <a href="http://sanik.hacking-cult.org/inker/data/1236714999Monitor_HD_Uber.png" target="_blank">the PNG ver.</a>

5. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    In regards to Chemical Plant Zone's runways...

No, Robotnik wouldn't need sensors for every few feet. It's more like decoration, since the light changes to different colours without triggering anything in particular.

Maybe it wasn't a metal tube or lighting effect at all, but instead, it's a larger piece that holds the flooring together along with the oil/chemical pipe (I'm guessing that's your interpretation, Blue Streak?). Here's a new example of my interpretation ("T.Q., 2nd Interpretation"). This also addresses an issue with how the floor can flip to the other side (since the Genesis version has nothing attached to the floor tile.):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[EDIT: Here's my last interpretation of explaining how Sonic can fall through the floor without moving away from the middle of the runway, and without hitting a pipe before falling. The example extends the black bars across the floor tile at the front view, whether as a triangular form or rectangular form, or any other form than can cross the floor tile:
    [​IMG]
    ]

Here's examples of the curves. It does seem more like metal coating around the oil/chemical pipes (with our side exposing the pipe?). And here's an example of the metal flooring for reference to others.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was thinking that maybe in HD, there can be a couple of thin bars attached to the floor. That way, some how with the mechanical works on the opposite side (that we'll never see), it would be possible for the floor to flip around without having mechanical devices on the player's side seen.

Also, those "Floor Hinges" I labeled was based on my assumption of the picture with the CPZ boss. I initially assumed the floors were attached all around the factory like that. Those hinges are wrong.

And it appears Sonic falls to the right side, in the player's view (as seen in the 3rd Genesis screenshot), and not behind the pipes. So I made an adjustment to my 2nd Interpretation.

If for example, the floor is supposed to flip symetrically, then there's a problem. Even if the piping is frictionless, Sonic can still stand on the yellow floor tile when it's been flipped down, as seen in the concept image below [EDIT: And since he's capable of jumping, even from teetering on the edge of ground, he could avoid falling off, unless all the stuff below the floor tile is slippery at all times]:
    [​IMG]

So another question is should we use the Genesis' way of floor tiles flipping, or should some change be accomidated so the floor flips with the pipes on the left side (top view)?

[EDIT: I've changed the pictures here to JPEG, as recommended below. Also, if anyone else would like to create their mock interpretation of the pipes and it's functions, <a href="http://gsthemes.oxyhost.com/CPviews.ppt" target="_blank">please download the PowerPoint presentation I used for these examples as an aide reference</a>. Also, yeah I'd mainly agree that there isn't always a logical explanation for things in the game. But in terms of a factory created by a human scientist, it should be somewhat explainable how the machines work.]

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I always thought the floor tiles worked like they did in your second example. It doesn't seem like it would be structurally sound in the first example. Like I were engineering these flipping tiles and I'm assuming they turn for a purpose of having something dumped off it, I would want the weight of the object on top of the tile to be sitting on the pipe directly to evenly distribute the weight. It would just make sense, and I'm sure it would lead to far less maintenance.

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Holy shit, dude. Use png's or jpg's. Those bmp's take forever to load.

Anyways, I've always imagined them to work like your second example. As for some of this stuff. I'd say not to think too much into it, because there likely is not always a logical explanation. Something I still wonder about is how the ground comes up at you in Hilltop Zone without destroying all the walls and platforms as it goes.

Also, as for still being able to stand on the platform after it's flipped. Let's remember that sonic was a shorter guy back then, and that platform is probably too far down for him to be able to stand on it, uh, "comfortably". ;)

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Guys, which of the following concepts you like most?

A) [​IMG]
    B) [​IMG]
    C) [​IMG]

9. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=331498:date=Jul 17 2009, 02:40 PM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Jul 17 2009, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331498">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, which of the following concepts you like most?

A) [​IMG]
    B) [​IMG]
    C) [​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like C, but B is the best in my opinion. I just reckon that the scan-lines on A are too smooth.

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

I prefer B to the others because they look like steps in the breaking of the monitor. First it has blurring, extreme static and distortion, and then it breaks. Could A and C be used in a longer monitor breaking animation? (Except C would have to be a bit more blurred.) B is my choice, but I wish it did not wiggle as much as it does.

11. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    I'd have to go with either C or B, I'm happy with either :)
    (Also, I am loving what you guys are doing)

12. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    I prefer B because that's the least distracting one.

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I'd go for B too - I quite like the colours and the effect on it; although I think the animation could be just a little bit faster, IMO.

14. m1ket

m1ket

INYOFACE! Member
    Kings+
    Definitely B! That is a smart looking box!

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I like C, it keeps the spirit of the original the best, while adding a nice visual flair. Maybe let the item picture stay on screen longer though.

16. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    C or B, definitely. I'd say if we wind up going with C, to soften the item image a bit more.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I'm gonna have to go with B as well.

18. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    <!--quoteo(post=331502:date=Jul 17 2009, 08:46 AM:name=Malpass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Malpass @ Jul 17 2009, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331502">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=331498:date=Jul 17 2009, 02:40 PM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Jul 17 2009, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331498">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, which of the following concepts you like most?

A) [​IMG]
    B) [​IMG]
    C) [​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like C, but B is the best in my opinion. I just reckon that the scan-lines on A are too smooth.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally like C more than B, but for the game, B suits it more. C is a bit too intrusive and eye-catching.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    B is the better one but what's up with not trying how it originally animated?

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=331573:date=Jul 17 2009, 02:24 PM:name=steveswede)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steveswede @ Jul 17 2009, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331573">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->B is the better one but what's up with not trying how it originally animated?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I thought that the point of S2HD was to make something that looked better?

I'd go with either A or B. The effect in C is too extreme.