don't click here

Concensus on Prototype naming scheme

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Nov 8, 2006.

What should the Prototypes be referred to as?

1. Drx Prototype and Wai Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alpha and Beta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fan-created version numbers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nick Arcade Prototype and Simon Wai Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2006 Prototype and 1998 Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If I remember correctly, both are technically alpha versions...

2. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Yes, but it is harder to quote. "Hey, I found something in the Sonic 2 Beta 2C8F!" You'd have to look in the site to find out which version 2C8F was :)

I'm leaning more towards the DRX proto and Wai proto, as they were the people who first discovered these versions. Also, what's wrong with simple version numbers? Something like this, perhaps:
    0.2 - Drx proto
    0.3 - Nick Arcade proto (almost identical to 0.2)
    0.5 - Wai proto
    0.7 - Wai proto with 2P VS mode (not found yet)
    1.0 - Sonic 2 Final
    1.5 - Sonic 2 Sonic Compilation version.

3. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    How about rocketman's thing back in the day? Where Sonic 2 beta was Sonic 2 1.54 and such? Basically Tom's idea... and the problem with "drx proto" is if he finds another Sonic 2 proto. MASSIVE confusion will happen.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well this is what I intended by "Fan-created version numbers" but noone has voted for it =P

5. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    oh. I was thinking along the lines of fake MD numbers.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's why I wanted to call it the Nick Arcade proto - there's an extremely low chance we'll ever get another build even remotely similar to this one, so it would be the best name we could give it without causing mass confusion, should another proto arise that drx finds.

As for the "version number" thing... I always thought that was retarded. It's not an accurate system of measurement by any means, and there's no way without official confirmation that we can rightfully assume the Wai proto is "54% complete." How do you even have the right to make that kind of assumption?

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Simon Wai thought he had the right... http://www.s2beta.com/timeline

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So? Just because Simon put it down, doesn't make it any less of a stupid idea... Plus, now we can identify it as the Wai proto, so the version number is irrelevant (and inaccurate).

9. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    looking at that is funny now. His first picture on the timeline is actually from our current proto.

I'm completely down with Tweaker's idea now.

10. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Couldn't've put it better.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    He just put that at the time Saxman made that up, that doesn't mean he liked that numbering system.

12. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    When did this stop being the actual Nick Arcade beta?

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Got an email from Simon regarding the naming of the Prototype. Hopefully he won't have any qualms with me posting it here.

14. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Simon Wai, as always the eye of calm in a raging debate.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hmm... I know Tom suggested numeric beta labels, but I never thought of alphanumeric...

I suppose it -COULD- work, but I still want some sort of "accurate" label for our prototypes that WE can refer to them as. Perhaps we could refer to both labels when addressing each prototype? I just don't feel comfortable going around saying "in beta A, the cocks were fully drawn, while only a portion of the cock was visible in beta B." You know what I mean?

I still feel comfortable calling them the Wai and Nick Arcade betas, respectively... but Beta A/B is so non-specific and vague that we may as well call them by some retarded version number that someone assumes based how much they "think" the game was completed.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've seen protos from the same game named as "prototype" and "prototype 2", just in the order they were found even if the second one was earlier... I guess this is the way it will end up in GoodGen, or perhaps just as "early prototype" like in the filename.

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Noone said that we have to refer to them as "beta A", etc. There's no reason we can't call them something more accurate than what ends up in GoodGen. What does the Wai proto have in it's GoodGen name, (prototype) or (beta)?

For our purposes, I still favor either "drx" and "Wai" or "Nick Arcade" and "Pirate" (since our proto came from a pirated copy instead of a known clean dump). However, I don't feel comfortable with "Nick Arcade" and "Wai" because we should use both names if we're going to use names at all, IMO.

18. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    Simon's right about this... ROM sites aren't going to care about the politics and labeling schemes we come up with.

19. Gurluas2000

Gurluas2000

Iposatu the Demon Lord Member
    Drx Prototype and Wai Prototype seems to have won yet the site names it nick arcade and simon wai prototype?

personally I vote for drx prototype,
    doestn seems fair that wai can keep his name on it when drx cant

20. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Final Results

[ 49 ] Drx Prototype and Wai Prototype
    [ 37 ] Alpha and Beta
    [ 32 ] Nick Arcade Prototype and Simon Wai Prototype
    [ 05 ] 2006 Prototype and 1998 Prototype
    [ 00 ] Fan-created version numbers

Comments from me

So, our winner is drx prototype and wai prototype! I was expecting Nick Arcade to win after the revelations but it seems that's not what people want, so I'll have to take this into consideration. I would really love to just take this result and have it completely member-decided, however there are some good arguements against such a scheme.

We shall see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.