Computer Part Buyers: Give me some opinions.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Metal Man88, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    All right, well here's the scoop. I have an eternally old desktop, and I have some upgrades in mind. However since I only upgrade about once every 3-5 years, I am rarely 'in tune' with good products and often miss out on things that more regular replacement people know all about.

So first up, a monitor.

I know you guys, or at least some of you, love the CRTs, but those are too bulky. I have a huge 19 incher and that thing's just too much to haul in and out of the dorm.

What I want is a 22 inch LCD with at least one HDMI slot and a minimum resolution of 'true' 1080i or 720whatever as opposed to fake 1366/768, as I've found 1366 to be undersupported and result in a lot of bad scaling. The price should be between $100 and $200. And it shouldn't be some 'crud' monitor, I'm asking you guys as you've probably bought more LCD monitors than I have.

Next up, something to do with sound. I have preserved my hearing by listening to music only on low volume and using shotgun ear protectors against loud noises. However, running a cheap $30 2.1 Altec Lansing sound system off a built-in motherboard thing is... pretty wimpy, even my old Audigy 2 ZS on my laptop is better sound-quality wise. However I am not an audiophile so I do not know whether an amplifier, bookshelf speakers, a 5.1 system, or whatever else is best. I'm not willing to spend more than $100 on the whole though so I want to see potentially a cost effective solution, since unlike my monitor I have junk right now anyway.

2. Flygon

Flygon

3. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Hm, indeed it does. I'll keep that in mind for my next monitor purchase.

Much better than this ancient 19 inch early-generation Samsung HDTV. I was under the false impression I was going to need a battery of inputs—then I hooked my Genesis up to the RCA inputs and discovered they were worthless. Hideously scaled stuff that looked bad. Kept myself an old monitor/TV around for that instead.

Then of course HDMI became universal and well I looked pretty silly with my thousands of obsolete things (Component cables, S-Video, what have you) on a monitor which couldn't even display sprite-based pre-N64 generation consoles without looking like garbage and which only had one HDMI port.

Now to just wait until a convenient time before I get a new monitor...

4. No HDMI, not in your price range, not the size you wanted but still awesome: U2312HM

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Might be an interesting choice for a computer monitor, since I can use DVI.

But yeah, if I got a job something like that would be great.