Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by BlueFrenzy, May 18, 2020.
I think I played a version of this.
Game completed and ready for SAGE 2020
Man, I remember downloading a demo for this back in the day and listening to the music player that came with it featuring music for all the levels that weren't in the demo, which I think I played more than the actual game. It'll be cool to actually get to play the full thing after all these years.
3 more days until SAGE
Sadly, probably some of the levels of the sound test are not available due to the data loss I suffered 10 years ago.
Still, you have more than enough levels in the game. I think the game is longer than sonic 2 with the data recovered. My GF took 4 hours to complete, but she's not a sonic fan. It took me 2 hours with sonic, still, not speedrunning.
post an alternate link, man
sage site is blown up and i want to play this asap!
Try this one
I'm giving the game a playthrough. What a mostly fun nostalgia trip. Few suggestions/bugs though
- Special stage 7 for some reason had me play as Knuckles even though I was playing as Tails at the time. No other special stage had this issue though (I haven't even unlocked Knuckles)
- Moonlight Carnival's 2nd act boss is kind of weird. It disables Super Sonic because you're in a quasi post act state (like the special ring counter that shows up will be there the entire boss fight)
- I encountered a weird glitch with the Darkspine fight (is that his name?). I beat the boss and then nothing happened. Also not sure if you're supposed to unlock that character after that boss fight like with Tails, but if that is the case I didn't unlock him
- I had an issue with the Hydro Electric Plant Act 2 boss. If you fly up as Tails and use that Mighty esq hammer drop move on the boss a few times while he's too high up, the boss will never come back down and you're stuck unless you kill yourself
- I forget what the level is called, it's the lava level that starts with an N. Anyway, Act 2 is unbeatable. Those pipes where I'm assuming you can pick which direction you want to go in won't work and you get stuck. I've yet to find a path around those pipes that allows me to beat the level.
- Controller support for this is a mess. Every time you start the game, restart the game, or get a game over, the game forgets your settings and defaults you back to a keyboard. The would be pause button doesn't pause. Also to change the control type you have to press Ctrl+Y, not Ctrl+P as the readme suggests (That pauses the application). Plus you have things like "fire 1" in there. Seeing those kinds of inputs def brings me back, butt not in a good way. I think the default control layout needs to be modernized a bit.
- Same goes for screen sizes. There's no option for full screen, and expanding the window doesn't maintain the aspect ratio, so in my case everything was stretched vertically. This game could really stand to have a proper options menu where you can customize keys and screen size
- Maybe add end of act poses? Seems weird the characters just stand there
- Special stage 5 is kinda bs with the ice physics, maybe tone those down a bit?
- The character boss fights are a tad bs as well. They're way to fast and you can only recollect rings once
- Maybe because the characters move so fast, but in the Tails boss fight he keeps jerking back and forth (like he'll rapidly change which direction he's facing despite not changing which direction he's going). Just looks kinda weird
- The enemies that home in on you do so wayyyy to fast and they're not lenient enough.
- Not a major thing, but for some reason this game has an orange emerald and not a gray one
- Why does the robot spirit thing hurt you in character boss fights? Especially if you're Tails, if you use that hammer drop move you're destined to take damage
- Score/Live counts should save, currently it only saves which level/act you're on
- It's not really clear which monitors give you shields and which ones give you powers. Plus the water shield bounce power doesn't allow you to bounce. Not really sure how to describe what it does, a slow homing decent?
Those were the major things that stuck out to me anyway, there were some more but I don't remember them off the top of my head. Overall it was a fun trip down memory lane, just needs a few more tweaks to get there.
Thank you for all your feedback. I will try to figure out what happened with those bugs. Some of them has something to do with how MMF2 disables objects out of screen, although I though I fixed them.
-Can you give e more information about the Netherworld Base act 2 problem? Theres a path where you should not find those pipes but it's the first time I hear about it.
About the water power, yes, it makes you fall slowly, allowing to have more air control.
Sure. So as far as the Netherworld Base thing, at any pipe that allows you to pick which way you want to go, I get stuck at the intersection of the pipes. Maybe there's a certain input I'm missing, I tried pressing jump and the various directions and nothing happened, I was just soft locked in place.
I was just trying it and it worked always. Any specific character? Did you make something else like try to fly inside or something? Does it happen with sonic?
I both spun into the pipes and jumped in. I think I tried as both Sonic and Tails. Should I just walk in?
It should work in both cases, but try walking. You are literally the only person who has this problem. Sorry for being insistent but I have no other way of fixing this :P
Netherworld Base Act 2 seems glitched. There are two paths that lock themselves with barriers with me on the wrong side! One of them is a double jump puzzle and the other is a pipe maze.
Second act of the pinball level was clever.
Then I messed around the menus and ended up unlocking every other stage.
I think I figured it out what happens. Try using the keyboard instead of the joystick to move through the pipes.
The double jump puzzle can be solved by finding the double jump skill monitor just a bit before.
The pipe maze seems to have a problem with the joystick. Use the keyboard if stuck while I release a patch.
You can Download Version 1.1 with several bugfixes including the problem of the controls.
Very glad to see this finally out, and enjoying the variety of stages, but Netherworld has a lot of problems. This was early on and got me stuck inside the loop after the ceiling spring sent me downwards:
I got to this area from the left using the double jump, because an arrow sign said I should go here, but then the ceiling sealed itself above me:
Got stuck in this pipe, I think by pressing jump around the time I entered?
This looks like it should be the exit of the pipe maze, but like most of these other screenshots, it sealed itself before I reached it instead of afterwards.
I'm using a keyboard in case that matters somehow.
That is Weird. I am taking a look at this problem. It seems it only happens to a few people, so there's something weird behind.
how do i go fullscreen
Can I just say that I actually really like how Sonic stays curled up whenever he bounces off a spring, and I'd like to see that incorporated into the official games?
I am glad you like it. I actually loved the interactions of springs and enemies, so I kept it this way.
just beat the game 100% great gme well done. i like the idea of the wizard villian from a strange dimension. also this set up is ferile grounds to set up a potental sequil which i pray to the gods you decide to make. you could easly say that this guy was mearly a servant a scout of the true villian all along, who? Ixius Negaus!! ohh yes bring in that sat am/archie canno n heck the final level was almost pure nagius lair meteral it truly had me going for a moment the bad guy was gunna be nagues there for a moment, heck there were even crab/lobster claws in it. so very very much the negaus style.
Separate names with a comma.