Clock Ork Zone after all?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I decided to post this topic after seeing a mention of "Clock Ork" in the trash and doing some research to see if the word "Ork" had any meaning at all. It is likely that this topic may also be trashed, but I wanted to get this out. After serious thought and nothing better to do, I did some research on the word "Ork" and I came up with something that you all may find interesting.

To start, here's a magazine screenshot of what is to become Scrap Brain Zone, being named "Clock Ork" if you need to know what I'm refering to:

[​IMG]

According to Wikipedia: :v:

That is ironic since this game, Ork, was made around the same time Sonic 1 was developed. My thoughts.. It is possible that the zone was going to be called Clock Ork, but with an intentional space left in front of the word for incase they decided to replace it with "Work". Instead, the level name was changed completely. There might have been an argument over the level name at some point during development.

That is so interesting though!

2. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    That is an interesting find. Good show, eh wot?

3. corneliab

corneliab

Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES? Member
    Zero Mortals
    Hrm. Personally, this sounds rather farfetched.

4. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    On the believability scale, this is ranked somewhere around the range of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It's clearly supposed to be "Clock Work Zone", as not only does it fit the theme (mechanical, gears) but there was never a use for a W in the font in the first place.

5. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Misfit
    I dunno.... seems like a stretch to me. It seems too strange of an idea that the zone was planned as Clock Ork Zone all along. I mean, it just messes with the flow of the entire structure of the game. Maybe the photo was released as such to poke fun at the Ork development team? An inside joke for developers to chuckle over while it flies over everyone else's heads? It would seem much more reasonable to me if that was the case.

6. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Plus, the spacing between 'Clock' and 'Ork' is too wide, you can tell they meant to put a 'W' in there.

EDIT: Shoot, I didn't read your post thoroughly. =[ It's late.

In any case, I still think it was meant to be 'Clock Work', they just couldn't bring themselves to make a 'W' for the font.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    I subscribe to the idea that the Zone's name was "Clock Work Zone," but I've always wondered—why would they try and use a W when they knew it wasn't in the mappings set? I can understand if they just left a space in case the alphabet was expanded to allow a W, but outside of that I don't know why they'd even try to make a level name with an invalid character in it.

8. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Probably for the same reasons that SM64's debug menus have some garbage letters. They were either going to be drawn later, or the zone name simply wasn't finalized and they were throwing out ideas.

Pretty much the same reason you'll see pages that have links that go to 404s; it isn't there yet, but it very well might be soon.

9. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Another possibility is that they just did it without thinking. It is a beta after all :P

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    If we knew when in development Scrap Brain Zone was created, we'd be able to figure out a lot more about it. For example, if it was one of the first levels created, then maybe the W was in the character set originally and that screenshot was taken as they were taking it out (for space reasons or something)... after all, they said they had to remove stuff to make room for the SEGA intro.

11. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Did Japan even know anything about Amiga and Atari ST games? They had their own home computers around that time, so it seems unlikely they'd be that quick to notice new western releases.
    Then again I read that all the music for Sonic 1 was done on an Amiga, so I'm probably wrong.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Japan might not, but I'm sure sega did. Europe has always been Sega's absolute strongest market, and this was coming out of the SMS days where they were putting 100% of their effort into Europe. The Amiga was a huge competitor for Sega in Europe.

13. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Another thought is the level name was placed by programmers unaware there weren't mappings for the W, and the press carts were never reticified?

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    That's something new to me, so there really wasn't a W mappings set then? That changes my theory. :) At least we know "Ork" meant something back then. I do agree that the name Clock Work makes more sense though.

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Monochrome Cat Game Guy™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  16. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Misfit
    No offense but there's no reason to believe that at all. Like Dust Hill this is a case where if you use a bit of logic it can't really be any other way.

17. Doesn't really make much sense. Why would they have an extra space if they were gonna keep the name?

They obviously weren't finished making the "W" for a better named Clock Work Zone at the time.

18. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Im with Tweaker on this one. I've always thought Clock Work Zone and they somehow did this without the W being available. I think for the level to be called Clock Ork makes no sense at all where as Clock Work plus the mechanical nature of the level would make sense. I actually prefer the zone name Clock Work to Scrap Brain in honesty.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    ..but this doesn't explain the second space in the title there -- certainly that's a placeholder for a W, no?

As far as I can understand the main reason they didn't use that was because there wasn't space for the whole set of letters the way they were allocating space.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

maybe the real thing™ Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    terrible Christmas avatars
    and they must have changed sparkling zone due to the amount of sparkling things in games released around that time too

But yeah, it's pretty obvious it was supposed to be a W. It was likely just a placeholder name anyway since there isn't anything in those "clock ork screenshots" other than Sonic and diagonal conveyor belts. Green Hill has hills with green on them, Marble has Marble, Sparkling had objects that sparkle, Labyrinth is a labyrinth and Clock Work had... clockwork stuff in it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.