"Classic" 2D Sonic (1,CD,2,3&K) and "Modern" 2D Sonic (Adv 1, 2, 3, and Rush, RA)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic5993, May 15, 2022.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    For the sake of preservation, I have no qualms about them getting re-released at all. I guess the Advance games have some publishing/distributions issues to clear and bringing the Rush titles to a non-handheld/dual-screen platform may be a bit difficult; but I imagine the main culprit to their lack of modern availability is the current corporate aversion of re-releasing anything from the 2000s era of Sonic (post-SA2/pre-Colors).

Regarding the games themselves, I'm kinda of the thought that the Advance series is a steady decline across each game (kinda good --> average --> kinda bad), and Rush is...fine as a a standalone game/series. (Its gameplay being used as the new "default" for 2D Sonic gameplay over MD gameplay, not so much.) Never played Rush Adventure so I can't speak for that. Advance 2 confuses me though in that I think its better than Advance 3, but I got further to completion in 3 than 2 (I stopped around the game's most maligned zone, Sky Canyon, so that probably plays a role).

In terms of continuations, I would very much like to see a new installment of the Rush/Boost gameplay--provided that the developer's goal is to actually reassess what's been done with it and refine the playstyle, instead of using it as more gameplay filler to avoid developing fully 3D levels for the 3D games. The handheld cousins of ST's console games and the later Boost games have arguably run it into the ground; but (much like how I've felt with the 3D Boost titles) I think you could streamline it into a format that cuts down on its weaknesses and better plays to its strengths.

Advance however, I feel that's enough of a collective mess of priorities and ideas (with 1 being neo-MD, 2 being proto-Rush, and 3...being 3) you're better off with a spiritual sequel; or a reboot if you had to continue the Advance name. In particular, I feel the hypothetical successor/reboot should develop Advance's special qualities into a new style of 2D gameplay that has neither platforming or speed as the main focus. Based on the Advance series' secondary moves and the adjacent Battle spinoff, I'd say action/combat and/or exploration would be a more ideal goal.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  2. Hydra Spectre

Hydra Spectre

Tails Fan Member
    Oh, yeah.

Here are the "eras" of each Sonic mainline game:
    Classic 16-bit 2D Era:
    Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
    Sonic CD
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
    Sonic Mania (despite coming out post-DIMPS,

Classic 8-bit 2D Era:
    Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System)
    Sonic Chaos/Sonic & Tails
    Sonic Triple Trouble/Sonic & Tails 2
    Sonic Blast

Modern 2D/DIMPS Era:
    Sonic Pocket Adventure (despite being made by a pre-DIMPS staff and taking levels from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, it is the prototype for the future DIMPS games)
    Sonic Advance
    Sonic Advance 2
    Sonic Advance 3
    Sonic Rush
    Sonic Rush Adventure
    Sonic Colours (DS)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
    Sonic Generations (3DS)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 5 (if it is real)

Dreamcast/Adventure 3D Era:
    Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Heroes (despite coming out on GameCube, it is the last mainline game in the 6th gen and it is closer to the Adventure games in DNA)

Modern 3D Era:
    Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (despite being closer to the Adventure era in gameplay and being the last pre-overhaul mainline Sonic game, Sega considers it the first modern game due to coming out in the 7th gen. Sonic Generations, has one level per three games in an era, with '06 being considered a Modern 3D game)
    Sonic Unleashed/Sonic World Adventure (both HD and SD versions)
    Sonic Colours (Wii)
    Sonic Generations (HD)
    Sonic Lost World (both HD and 3DS versions)
    Sonic Forces
    Sonic Frontiers

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Previously 'Hanging Waters' Member
    US
    I don't think there are any issues with publishing / distribution, given that it's been so long and SEGA never had an exclusivity deal - the GameBoy was just pretty much the only major handheld at the time that didn't suck.

It is worth noting that SEGA seems to have an aversion to re-releasing handheld Sonic games on a home console. To my knowledge, they have never re-released a handheld Sonic game unless it was ported to a different handheld. Although they seem to avoid re-releasing anything from the 2000's at all.

4. BlueSkiesAM2

BlueSkiesAM2

Denmark
    THQ publishing rights probably have something to do with that. Sonic Advance saw a release on Wii U VC in Japan where the game was published by Sega. I imagine they'd be more willing to put that out in a market more receptive to Sonic if the choice was there.

5. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

UK
    I had no idea Sonic Advance was on the Wii U in Japan, that’s really disappointing that we didn’t get it over here.

I’ve had a look and can’t find much gameplay footage on YouTube. Anyone know if they omitted the Dreams Come True tracks?

6. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

That era was around when I stopped being a Sonic superfan so you'll have to forgive me for any inaccuracies, but I remember Advance 3 having one thing in particular that interested me and that was the multiple movesets and strange tech each character would get with each partner. The most memorable one I can think of is Knuckles getting a neat wall spin move, where you could charge your dash while climbing and rocket upward really quickly. Can't remember who you had to pair him with to give him that, though.

I wish they'd be more inventive with moves like that in future games (if they ever make anymore 2D ones, that is). The Drop Dash from Mania felt like that, a little.

I think I played the Rush games to completion but I couldn't tell you a thing about them. I think Rush 2 had a jet ski in it? And at one point you fight a very not-Metal Sonic robot guy.

7. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Knuckles being able to spin up walls was awesome. It was the one time I really enjoyed using him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Here's a full playthrough of the Wii U Virtual Console release of Sonic Advance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    The Advance games accomplished what the Adventure games could only hope to: they featured an ensemble cast that worked as such. You'd go through the same challenges with characters that worked in different ways, and every character had something neat to show -- and that gave the characters a lot of personality. I think Amy in Sonic Advance is the single best thing that happened to 2D Sonic after the classics, and I find her spinless game mechanics even more exciting than any isolated addition Sonic Mania brought us. What's more, the Advance games provided the framework for what I believe to be the most prolific era of fangames, exactly because of that ensemble-based approach.

Granted, I never really bothered to use all the pairings in Sonic Advance 3, let alone use their unique moves. It was also a bit of a letdown that only like three pairs had names, and the rest only showed "Ok" when you picked them. It's, all in all, a potential that was never fully realized, but the GBA games were the best we ever had in the characterization-through-gameplay department.

Sonic Advance 2 sucks ass though.