Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemulii

zemulii

Ah okay, thanks for letting me know.

2. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy: WW, Freedom Planet 2
    Something to share & remember:
    ~Sonic's HD journey~
    [​IMG]
    To be admired. For Vincent to be praised.

3. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Okay, I have a stupid question.

I'm still trying to draw Tails' art, I just recently found a copy of Illustrator I can use (Illustrator 10) and I have to say I like this much better than InkScape, but I barely know how to do anything and I was hoping the tutorials would be a help but I've run into 2 problems with them.

1: Is there a place these are published online such as YouTube?

2: Are these tutorials relevant to my version of Illustrator? I could probably try to find a newer version if that's favored more but I usually try to download older versions of Adobe products because they're usually less complicated. Plus, I don't know if a newer version will work on my machine.

By the way, how do you delete these anchor points that tell the pen tool where to bend the next line? Deleting them like the anchor points that connect the strokes doesn't appear to work...

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

Also a question about Tails' design, should I be going off the last design made? I was originally using that very old design because it looked better to me but since I'll just be making everything from scratch again, I'd like to know what's favored. (I read through the archived character art thread and I know the newer design is hated but I just wanted to ask the staff directly if they mind.)

4. Volpino

Volpino

Sorry to double-post but I thought I'd include this in a separate post since it has nothing to do with the above.

Regarding the small animal art. While looking through the old archived thread, I noticed everyone suggested that the pig only have four fingers because of his concept art, but the problem is:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure he has five. Same goes for Ricky:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure which versions of these animals the team is using but if you want to stay true to the classics, I just wanted to point this detail out.

Pocky is the same way.

[​IMG]

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Every illustration of Japanese origin will have five fingers. It's a cultural thing not to have four fingers. I'd go into detail, but I'm sure google would tell you about it better than I can.

6. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    <!--quoteo(post=549764:date=Jan 21 2011, 05:25 PM:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit @ Jan 21 2011, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=549764">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every illustration of Japanese origin will have five fingers. It's a cultural thing not to have four fingers. I'd go into detail, but I'm sure google would tell you about it better than I can.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't fear, we've covered that in a separate topic. Something about Yakuza or Slaves typically missing a finger.

7. Volpino

Volpino

<!--quoteo(post=549766:date=Jan 21 2011, 05:33 PM:name=Namo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namo @ Jan 21 2011, 05:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=549766">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=549764:date=Jan 21 2011, 05:25 PM:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit @ Jan 21 2011, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=549764">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every illustration of Japanese origin will have five fingers. It's a cultural thing not to have four fingers. I'd go into detail, but I'm sure google would tell you about it better than I can.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't fear, we've covered that in a separate topic. Something about Yakuza or Slaves typically missing a finger.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I know about it. I actually came across those pictures by accident when looking for something different and I remembered something about it on the archive thread when doing the concept art. Anyway, that's good to know.

Does anyone have anything to say about my last question? I'd just like to know if I could find the tutorials on the web as opposed to downloading them.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It sounds like you're referring to the control points, the things that bend the path. You cannot really delete those without deleting both, unless there's a way I haven't found out about. If you use the little "carrot" tool under the pen tool and click the anchor point once it'll remove both control points, then you can click the anchor again with said tool and pull out two new ones that will be symmetrical. From there you should just manipulate them as necessary. When I started learning about the pen tool, like three years ago, I just hit up deviantart and read some tutorials about it and that really helped me out. Once you get the hang of the basic control of it it's pretty simple.

9. Volpino

Volpino

<!--quoteo(post=549827:date=Jan 21 2011, 08:38 PM:name=Gambit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gambit @ Jan 21 2011, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=549827">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounds like you're referring to the control points, the things that bend the path. You cannot really delete those without deleting both, unless there's a way I haven't found out about. If you use the little "carrot" tool under the pen tool and click the anchor point once it'll remove both control points, then you can click the anchor again with said tool and pull out two new ones that will be symmetrical. From there you should just manipulate them as necessary. When I started learning about the pen tool, like three years ago, I just hit up deviantart and read some tutorials about it and that really helped me out. Once you get the hang of the basic control of it it's pretty simple.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually tried the carrot tool and it didn't delete them, and I don't really want them there at all for what I'm trying to do (bend a sharp turn) but I did figure out a way to get rid of one: grab it with the select tool and drag it to the anchor point.

I never thought to look on dA. I've never looked thre for tutorials before, but I'll go look for some, thank you.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=549610:date=Jan 21 2011, 02:12 PM:name=Volpino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volpino @ Jan 21 2011, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=549610">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry to double-post but I thought I'd include this in a separate post since it has nothing to do with the above.
    -pic-
    I'm pretty sure he has five. Same goes for Ricky:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do realise they're only about eight pixels tall on the screen in-game, right? Even at 4x, you won't be able to make out individual fingers.

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    [​IMG]

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is it just me or does it look like Sonic's face is just a little bit too far forward.

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Now THAT'S an UPDATE! Thanks CK, and if you so feel inclined, keep 'em coming! I can't wait to see this new art in (real) action!

14. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    <!--quoteo(post=551287:date=Jan 26 2011, 01:11 AM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Jan 26 2011, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=551287">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it just me or does it look like Sonic's face is just a little bit too far forward.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably because of the lack of shadow on 4th-Sonic's belly, and both legs leaning parallel forward, rather than in the 3rd-Sonic pose. The shadowless belly seems to throw off the perspective bit. Overall, it's a nice bluer color than before, and a nice outlining of the above eyelids.

Will the 4th-Sonic be like that as his standing pose, or are there other standing pose frames? It would seem rather awkward for Sonic to lean forward while standing. But then again, the player would probably be concerned with running than standing to view the scenery anyway.

15. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Wowee, that looks brilliant! Using the original artwork's style is definitely the thing to do.

Now, we want to see all 16 frames of Sonic walking, with a side order of run. :thumbsup:

16. The changes made to Sonic were indeed very good! Using the artwork as reference was the best decision ever made for this project!

17. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    It feels like he is leaning forward and I think it has to do with the way his legs are positioned. And maybe its his ear that was changed that is making his face seem like its protruding more. Just seems more firmly planted and confident in his prior pose. And this has nothing to do with the art style change, its his posture. Like his head is properly sitting on his body almost like he has a slight hunch.

[​IMG]

18. zemulii

zemulii

After looking at it for awhile I just think he looks more eager/confident. Love all the little touches, like the legs being parallel - very welcome :). Very polished, good eye for detail. I really like it. I just want to know how that shading was done. When you say "sketch", does that mean it was based on a sketch, or that it's like... a raster sketch or something? It's the lack of the word vector that's confusing me. If it's still vector, I really want to know how to shade like that... Is it a gradient mesh or something?

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Wow, I must say, I didn't really appreciate quite how different the latest Sonic is to the previous iteration until I messed around in Photoshop putting all the Sonics on different layers in the same spot. As well as what's mentioned on the image itself, the entire body's been reproportioned and shifted about, the legs and arms reproportioned to match the official art, the spike shapes adjusted, eyebrow ridges added as on the official art... even the mouth shape has been adjusted and tweaked. It's almost like a completely different Sonic, and looks awesome for it. = )

Two things, though - one related to the art, and one related to the comparison itself. On the art side, if there's one thing I'd change, it's that I wouldn't make Sonic's legs quite so perfectly parallel. I'd shift the angle of the furthest leg inwards very subtley. Nowhere near as ridiculously as on the original sprite, but just a very subtle amount - a pixel or two's difference - to help make the legs look a little less rigid and more natural. Havign said that, it's hard to judge if it needs changing without having seen the new sprite in context; for all I know it might look fine as-is when put into the in-game surroundings.

Secondly; that font you're using for the main body text in this comparison is horrible to read due to the crazy anti-aliasing issues it seems to be having. Use something with a little more weight, or find a way to fix the bizarre anti-aliasing issues to make it more easily readable.

Anyways, looking very promising so far. Hopefully we'll be seeing some more art comparisons of this sort in future, showcasing other previously-established characters/objects - I'd love to see one for Robotnik, comparing a new full-body Robotnik to various iterations of Vincent's old Robotnik standing sprites! = )

20. Lapper

Lapper

England
    <!--quoteo(post=551363:date=Jan 26 2011, 02:00 PM:name=zemulii)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zemulii @ Jan 26 2011, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=551363">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After looking at it for awhile I just think he looks more eager/confident.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. I just think they've chosen an extreme cartoon way to represent it, which I myself rather like.

<!--quoteo(post=551363:date=Jan 26 2011, 02:00 PM:name=zemulii)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zemulii @ Jan 26 2011, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=551363">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it's still vector, I really want to know how to shade like that... Is it a gradient mesh or something<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dunno, it doesn't mention vector under the 4th one, and it looks kinda Photoshop-y.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.