Chaotix weirdness...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mystical Ninja, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Just a few minutes ago, I was playing Knuckles' Chaotix with the level select and debug codes. Then, I played through the third Introduction stage, and at the end, something strange happened. Rather than Knuckles and Mighty having their normal "waiting" animations, they ended up like this. Knuckles was using Wechnia's waiting animation (which is basically the "Tag-hold" sprites), and Mighty was using what would've been Sonic's "spring" pose in Sonic Crackers.

[​IMG]

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Explanation: Debug.

3. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Yes, that's completely understandable. The only thing I'm wondering is why that doesn't happen anywhere besides the third Intro stage.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    On second thought, it might have to do with the reverse monitor wearing out while the screen was fading. Knuckles might be trying to use Mighty's animation frames and vice-versa (which would make sense, since "wechnia" uses the default frames, which are Mighty's if I remember correctly).

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Hah! I get it! I feel so cool about it.

See how the switch monitor is activated?
    Obviously there is a bug with the switching.
    What has been swapped were Knuckles' and Mighty's animated pattern definitions.

With Knuckles' graphics using Mighty's definitions, he appears to be walking, or doing the same as *****'s.
    With Mighty using Knuckles' definitions, he does just that.
    If you'd like I can give you ROM addresses of the pointers you can swap/change to duplicate this.

6. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Yeah, sure, go ahead. Also, I was playing around with the Debug Mode again today, and this time, I used Knuckles and Vector. I did the same thing as above, and I happened to come across two unused sprites. I looked on this page many times, and I was pretty sure these were never seen before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They appear to be some sort of hanging animation, very much like Sonic and Tails' in Sonic Crackers.

7. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Hm.. this kinda reminds me of once when I was playing Sonic 2 Final version on my old Genesis, I was using Debug Mode and the Game Genie code for Hidden Palace, and I let Sonic stand and wait for a while, and instead of just tapping his foot, he laid down in the unused sprite form.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, that's not unused then.

9. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

The vector one is unused. First time I've seen it, nice find there.

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

The second sprite is used, as I thought.
    [​IMG]

Theory time:
    They cut out a frame of Vector's ledge climbing animation.
    Sonic (in crackers) was going to, at some point, get the air-dash move that vector has, which is what the sprites of him "dashing" or "sprinning" in air would be. Makes sense, all the right frames are there. Then he could climb up edges like Vector. Why does Mighty have the same air dashing sprites then? Because all his sprites are cheap edits of a full Sonic sheet. =P

11. Evil Cheese

Evil Cheese

..... Member
    Is this what you're talking about?

Please excuse the filtering in the screenshot, I took this quickly and I'm to lazy to disable them and take it again. :)

[​IMG]

12. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    No, I believe she meant the sitting sprites on this page, and strangely enough, that first animation was actually used in Sonic 2 Final, before Sonic sat sown doing that "Waiting" pose where he moves his feet around.

Now, anyway, I did the same thing as above, only this time, I used Charmy (along with Mighty and Espio), and I found some other strange sprites, which I don't really recall being used in the game.

[​IMG]
    This frame appeared right after the sprite where Charmy holds the ring in the air (when he's about to do his "Waiting" pose). Perhaps this was part of a drunken animation, like Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles'?

[​IMG]
    This appears to "bee" a sprite of Charmy sitting down. The palette is a bit off, because Charmy was trying to imitate Espio's waiting pose, and he was changing color.

[​IMG]
    This one, I'm not too sure about. Maybe this was part of his "drunken" animation? If not, then I have no explanation for this one.

13. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Looks like the animation going down a slide to me. Could be wrong.

14. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Yes, yes, that's the one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.