don't click here

Chaotix object Research

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tamkis, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    As many of you might know, in February of 2011, Stealth updated his famous Sonic hacking tool, SonED2, to support some new Sonic games, including Knuckles' Chaotix and SCD (PC) via his ROMulan tool. Even though it supports these two new games, many things are lacking, especially the objects list, which have many objects listed as "unknown". So, because no one else is doing so and someone should, I have decided to do some research on the objects in Knuckle's Chaotix! Like Nemesis and other famous Sonic hackers, I am doing extensive research on what each object is, by testing each object in each zone and seeing what params do on the objects. Once my research is done, I will upload my research on the SCHG. I am also annotating the objects list for Knuckle's Chaotix for SonED2

Maybe having a completed object list will promote more Chaotix hacks :) with SonED2, which is my ultimate goal. Help with this research will be quite appreciated! To help researching, grab a copy of the latest SonED2, grab a region 5 (J/US) rom, and start testing each object in levels!

I will regulary post a spreadsheet containing my object list, and a modified object list for SonED2. Stay tuned!

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I did this a year ago. I put my disassembly on the SVN; you will need IDA 5.5 but you might find it useful. Good luck!

3. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Really? Oh, I didn't notice that, nor do I remember seeing a chaotix disasm on the .svn. (*Facepalm*) Thanks for saving me a lot of unnecesary work! Somebody trash/lock this topic, plz. If all of this info was on the .svn, I wonder why stealth didn't decide to label the objects?

Well, since KC objects are defined, just out of curiosity, were there any discoveries found in the object list (other than the unused monitors)? Maybe someday, when I have time, I might research SCD PC objects (unless someone else has done that too).

Thanks again

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    You can use this thread to put up your fixes to the SonED 2 Chaotix stuff unless the mods say otherwise; it doesn't need to be trashed =P

Though I don't understand your question.

5. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Well, it's late, so I'll be brief. Over the past four days, I have tested out all of the objects in KC, and have identified most of them and labeled what zone they are in. I've created a chart in a Wiki page listing my research of the objects. I've also modified the objdef files of SonED2 to reflect the current changes; those files can be downloaded at the wikipage, as well as a excel file of the chart. Hope this helps out future Chaotix hackers!

Things to do in future revisions:

Modify the object's lists so that it will display the objects art (instead of ?s)
    Research and post subparams for objects
    Get mappings of objects, and code?
    et. al?

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Again I've done some of this. I've posted my disassembly on the subversion. Have you seen it?

7. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I've seen it in the disasm, and on the Chaotix hacking thread, but the list in the hacking thread isn't in hex (since when did an object list go past 255/$FF, e.g. 324?). I don't understand that. Not only that, but I found some other objects that weren't defined in the list. More so, the subparms for objects aren't there (at least at first glance), which I will soon research.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    The object numbers are words, not bytes. Take a look at the format of the object table:
    Code (Text):
    1. dc.w x, y, type, subtype
    The only objects I noted were the ones loaded from the object table — all those are confirmed correct. How did you get the other ones?

9. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    I just went through each zone's acts (1-5) in the day at-time, looked at the objects from SonED2, and went to the same place in KC on an emulator to see what each object was. Then, after seeing all of the objects viewable in SonED2, I tested each object in (almost) every zone to see what would appear. Doing both of those processes, I found some other objects that you might not have found. All of the other "unknown" objects were either nothing, or just garbage, which I just labeled as "unknown".

Sorry if I caused any trouble

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    No, that's no problem, as long as you're learning how the game works ;)

Anyway another thing I noticed about your table is that you have the object #s incrementing by 1, while in the game they're actually multiples of 4 — hence the word size. IDK what Stealth is doing, but I can fix all this later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.