don't click here

Chaotix 1207 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Snake

Snake

Tech Member
    That is indeed an awesome find.

It was pretty clear that 'Crackers' was real - and not even a 'proof of concept' as some people still call it - far too much work had gone into it for that. For whatever reason it got canned - maybe to move it to 32X, or maybe it was ressurected later, we don't know. We don't even know if Chaotix was done by the same team, or they just picked up where a previous team left off. Maybe we'll find out some day.

I'm still not convinced that that title screen wasn't slapped on by somebody else, though. The fact it doesn't run on a real console without crashing (and yet the game part does) points towards that, too.

This does, though, seem to confirm that the name is correct, where previously I thought the same as a few people here.

Unless, of course, the person responsible for slapping that screen on there also worked on chaotix, and thought he'd hide that message in there for us all to find later ;-) Unlikely but still :D

I believe you've hit the nail squarely on the head there, my friend :thumbsup:

2. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Is there ever going to be a way to play this version fully without it crashing constantly? Being the earliest it'd be interesting to actually play the whole thing through.

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Has anyone figured out exactly where, in the code, it crashes? I've not played it enough to tell, all I know is that you have to abort the SEGA screen to get it to run. IIRC the title screen still appears so maybe it's something in the code for the SEGA screen? Something that didn't break on their dev systems (with their ICEs and everything)?

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
  5. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    While I can't confirm why does it exactly crash, keep in mind that it was clearly a "pre-alpha" or whatever you want to call it, that's it, it could have been designed only with the dev hardware in mind at that point. What I CAN confirm is that the title screen is NOT a hack nor something or that sort. There's a dissasembly out there if you want to look by yourself, but that fact is clear for me.

6. Rafalapso

Rafalapso

To me the "Sonic Crackers" story goes like this:

In a Sega/Sonic Team meeting, somebody (probably Hiroshi Fukutsu) describes this idea of a new gameplay system, where the player is connected by a string to another character and has to cooperate to get to the goal.
    The big guys consider the idea and ask for a demonstration. A small group of programmers/artists creates the Sonic Crackers proof-of-concept/prototype/alpha/demo/whatever to show the concept.
    The big guys at Sega accept the idea, but the big one in Sonic team says: "that's not much like sonic" and disagrees with the idea. The group ends up having to pick up the not-so-known characters of the sonic story and develop the game that ends up as "Knuckles' Chaotix".

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That would make sense... You'd have to jump/fly/leap/whatever over this object or else you'd die, which would draw credibility towards the invisible "kill" object.

That's a pretty odd graphic to use for it, though.

EDIT: Oh, wait! What if it's one of those signs of an upcoming death pit or something?

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    No version of Chaotix from what I have seen has either a MCZ-style spike pit or a routine to kill off the characters when they fall off the level. They just fall off, like in Crackers, if you do that -- even though the bottom of the level is completely covered in solid tiles.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... Every character is supposed to have a "dazed" animation since Sonic Crackers. That's possibly how they were supposed to die, since there are no actual "dying" frames as in the other games.

There's some small stars before the bubble sprite that could have gone along with these animations, by the way.

11. MarcoZ

MarcoZ

Pending Member
    Holy crap at the "SONIC CRACKERS S32X", we have an epic finding here.
    (Oh and hi, I'm MarcoZ.)

12. Indeed!! Has anyone notified The Associated Press about this earth-shattering discovery??? ;)

It's been well known for a while that Chaotix started out as "Sonic Crackers", and that "Sonic Crackers" was one of the changes in gameplay they were thinking of making (another was isometric view) for a Sonic game a time before Chaotix game out. You'd think you nerds and geeks would already know this.

13. MarcoZ

MarcoZ

Pending Member
    but still, it's not a rumor anymore. we have a writing that is telling us that thing is sonic crackers, and it's from sega itself. So yeah, it's confirmed. Now to the "why the hell didn't they put sonic on it" talk, especially considered it could have raised 32X sales a lot.

14. Has anyone thought of trying this with the final version of Chaotix yet? Maybe it's there too.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    Thing is, there is no Time Attack in Final.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Think about this, though: why did the Chaotix team try to reinvent the Sonic engine from scratch?

You'd expect them to use the engine from a previous Sonic game, just like the main series did by subsequentially building on top of their previous work, wouldn't you? It's like "Sonic Team" (I use this term loosely to name the team that was behind the original Sonic trilogy, not specifically the Sonic Team from 1991 or 1996-onwards) denied the team access to the game's engine, or something. Which is pretty plausible, considering how conservative they were towards their mascot back then.

Similarily, couldn't they have denied use of Sonic and Tails, explicitely? For reasons unknown, to be sure, I mean, they did outsource the blue hedgehog to such marvelous titles as Sonic Spinball and Tails and the Music Maker, but it's still possible that it happened.

What I'm thinking here is that the Chaotix studio presented the Sonic Team a proof-of-concept, to which Sonic Team refused to give the green light for whatever reason. Perhaps they thought the title would give the Sonic brand a bad name (if so, the point was moot, since Sonic ended up jumping the shark with S3&K), so they were forced to use resources from elsewhere. They essentially reinvented the wheel by making a shoddy remake of the Sonic engine, deleted Tails, cleverly rewrote Sonic into long forgotten Mighty and made a entire cast of characters to make it worth playing.

This theory doesn't explain how the hell they got the rights to Knuckles, or more importantly, Eggman, though.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I guess Naka just didn't want his code in other people's hands... just like happened with the NiGHTS engine and Sonic X-Treme.

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Exactly, that was the point I was attempting to convey. If he denied access to the games' source code, couldn't he plausibly also deny them the Sonic character?

Come to think of it, if Sonic HAD to be removed for some reason or other, keeping Tails in there just wouldn't fit, now would it. Maybe one thing led to another.