don't click here

CDDA Sound from Sega CD Roms in Gens

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Tralis, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Tralis

Tralis

Toaster Extraordinaire Oldbie
    I have Gens all set up with bios and all. I downloaded a few ROMs from a website for Sega CD. The files are all zips with the first file called "Game XYZ - Track 1.iso" and all other "Game XYZ - Track N.mp3", replacing "Game XYX" with, for example, Sonic CD and Track N with some number. All the .mp3 tracks are obivously the game's CD-DA sound. The games play fine, the problem is all of the CD sound is not recognized nor played (Probably since they are in files other than the iso). How do I get Gens to receive and play them when apropriate?

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    For gens to play the audio, the CD tracks need to have the same name as the iso, so it would be

Sonic CD.iso
    Sonic CD 1.mp3
    Sonic CD 2.mp3

it's been a while since I've used Gens, so it might be Sonic CD 01.mp3 and so forth.

3. Tralis

Tralis

Awesome, thank you.

4. Get a BIN/CUE from SonAR.

5. Tralis

Tralis

^
    Renaming the files worked well enough.

I'm disapointed at how syth-y most of the game soundtracks are.

6. Phos

Phos

which version do you have? EU/JP soundtrack and US soundtrack are completely different. Man, kind of a noobish error on the part of whoever ripped that game. I reccomend you go to http://romhustler.net/ for Sega CD, because they use bin/cue's as far as I've seen, though they do list some games, only to tell you that they are ESA protected when you try to download them :colbert:

7. Tralis

Tralis

The syth-y soundtrack complaint is refering to other Sega CD games. The Sonic CD soundtracks' are pretty cool.

8. Phos

Phos

Oh yeah, so few developers took advantage of the Sega CD's audio quality, there are regular Genesis games that sound less chip tune-y. It was the biggest benefit the system afforded, but for the most part, the developers didn't take advantage of it at all.

I've always imagined that the Sega CD would have turned out a lot better if instead of having it's own library of games (or perhaps in addition to), it should have been used to play CD audio tracks for Genesis games released after the Sega CD (The cartridges would come packed with a CD). Did Sega actually promise a higher color pallet? That would've been a perfect way to show of the system, and perhaps actually extend it's life, although it seemed to be doing fine on it's own until the 32X made it seem like Sega was cutting off the Genesis.

Holy crap, how did Sega last this long when it was being run like that?

9. Tralis

Tralis

See, I think the 32x was just dumb, but the Sega CD was an awesome idea that just didn't quite catch on becuase so few developers used it well. The 32x's biggest advantage as I recall was way more colors. That came in handy for the much-hated FMV games, the best of which required Sega CD anyway. Ack.
    Sega CD does have pretty terrible load times, though. It also would be nice if the Sega CD had more RAM so it could hold in-game sound effects in CD-quality PCM instead of the terrible 8-bit PCM (or worse) we get for voice in most games. Alas, it was not to be.

10. ISOs :colbert:

11. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    There's MCD BINs too... usually coming with a CUE file aswell.

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    >gens
    >iso/mp3
    >sega cd roms

There is so much fail in this thread.

13. Tralis

Tralis

Real helpful, posting in an already solved problem topic making vague complaints.
    Don't like Gens? Whatever, that's what I use. I'm sure your choice of emulator is far superior for whatever reason, but I don't care.
    Don't like the format I downloaded from Rom Hustler? Well, that's not my fault.
    Don't like the Sega CD, or its software? See above, not my problem.