don't click here

Can't get my GameCube controller to work properly with Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Willie, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    So I love the GameCube controller and the PS3 controller, but they have some massive flaws. The greatest strengths of the GCN controller are its awesome triggers and very comfortable handles. Unfortunately for the PS3 controller, its handles and triggers are the worst part of the controller. The handles were pretty good for the PS2 controller, but the changes made to handles to make way for the badly designed triggers made the PS3 controller less comfortable and more flawed. Well, after putting over 19 hours into ASRT, I'm rather sick of holding the PS3 controller in an uncomfortable way just so my fingers don't slip off the damn triggers. Some people might recommend the popular trigger add-ons for the PS3 controller, but I've always hated those add-ons and the flawed handles just don't work well with racing games that rely on triggers for driving. So I thought, hey, how about I try getting my GCN controller to work with this game? I own Mayflash's 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box so I figured it was worth a try. Well, the triggers weren't detectable in a game that relies a lot on trigger movement so I did some research, came across this video and installed x360ce. Early on, this program seemed pretty awesome. I was able to get every button on the GCN controller to work with ASRT and the GCN triggers functioned awesomely. However, I discovered a huge problem. Since the GCN's analog sticks aren't as sensitive as the PS3 controller's analog sticks, they won't detect as far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This makes it where I cannot turn as quickly in ASRT and probably would make me move slower in a platformer than I normally would be able to. That's a huge problem. To make matters worse, the analog sticks aren't equally sensitive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have absolutely no idea how I can resolve this issue. I really would like to be able to use my GCN controller with certain PC games, but not if my analog controls are this gimped. :/ I understand it won't be as sensitive as my PS3 analog sticks, but that shouldn't affect the overall speed. It is worth noting that I did open up my GCN controller tonight and noticed they are capable of faster speeds when the controller is not put together. I'd give a visual example of that, but I really don't feel like opening up that controller again tonight. It's also worth mentioning I tried getting my GCN controller to work with SA2B and it would not recognize my controller at all. This is also a problem for other people that tried to use Mayflash's products with that game. [LINK] What do you guys suggest I do? Does it all seem hopeless that I'll be able to get my GCN controller to run awesomely on my PC? Please do not recommend JoyToKey or XPadder. XPadder is a lovely program, but it's not capable of replicating full analog controls so it's not a good solution to this problem.

2. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    Can you set the deadzone to 0% to give you a little extra registered movement on the sticks? Or adjust in-game sensitivity to compensate? Not a legit solution I'll admit, but might help.

3. Willie

Willie

Well, I have good news and bad news. Good news is that I spent all fucking day trying to get my GameCube's analog sticks to work properly in Windows 7 and I finally have them functioning well. Bad news is that it was a complicated and ridiculous process just to get to this point. I'd write up an explanation, but I'm thinking about making a video tutorial instead which could be a good short-term project in getting me to learn how to use Adobe Premiere.

I had the deadzone set to 0%. The problem was that analog sticks weren't allowing me to go as fast in games when I had the analog sticks pushed as far as they can be pushed. The deadzone doesn't affect that.

4. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    If you could do that, it would be great. I just ordered myself one of them 3-in-1 adapters like you have to use a GC controller on my PC.

5. All you have to do is the manual windows control panel calibration that's been around since forever.
    When it asks you to move the stick up and down all the way and the other sliders up and down all the way what the calibration is doing is getting the max/min range for the analog sensitivity.
    I had to do that to get the the analog triggers on my Wii Classic Controller recognized as being fully pressed.

6. Willie

Willie

Yeah, I'm going to start working on the script today. Unfortunately, my best way of recording video that isn't just gaming and PC related stuff is through my crappy camera phone so the video quality for that type of stuff will probably won't look very good. :/ You can see a good example of my phone's lousy recording abilities in this video.

With a normal controller, that would work fine but the octagon shaped covering that makes things a lot more complicated if you want sensitive but accurate controls.

7. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    OK, so I got my orange gamecube controller and my 3in1 Magic Joy Box, seems to be all working great with X360ce after calibration. Except when trying to play Portal through Steam, it's detecting input in the R-trigger slider making the camera spin.

No matter what changes I make in X360ce, this problem persists.

Any suggestions to eliminate it?

8. Willie

Willie

When you calibrate the controller, you're also supposed to press the L and R buttons so they're calibrated too. Then with x360ce, I set the L button to Slider 1 and the R button to Slider 2. If they're selected to ISlider 1 and 2, it's make it where both triggers need to be held down just so they don't detect. When you swirl the analog sticks in x360ce, how do the inputs read? For example, when I swirl the left and right analog sticks to these corners, it reads like this when calibrated well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the positive inputs are less than 32,767 and the negative inputs are greater than -32,767, then your analog movement won't be as fast when moving in that direction. Not to mention the speed of your movement would most likely would be inconsistent depending on how you move in a game. The only way I was able to calibrate the controller correctly was by twirling the analog sticks in a perfect circle so I created a module just to be able to do that. To make my module, I took a film container and modified it using scissors and power tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I put it over the controller while calibrating it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the controller I used for calibration have two C sticks to make the calibration process easier, but I use my wired GameCube controller with a Classic Controller analog stick for gaming on my PC.

[​IMG]

If you want to open up your controllers, you'll need a tri-wing screwdriver which you can find cheap on Amazon. [LINK] As for my video tutorial, I wrote a script but it might be awhile before I finally have it made because I need to invest in a video camera, but feel free to ask me any questions you have about setting up a GameCube controller. Unfortunately, I still have had no success in getting my GameCube controller to be readable in the PC version of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. -_-

9. Willie

Willie

So one aspect of x360ce is driving me fucking nuts. Does anyone have any idea how I could lower the sensitivity of the left trigger without reducing the right trigger's sensitivity levels? For some reason, Left Trigger Dead Zone in x360ce adjusts both trigger's sensitivity levels for me while Right Trigger Dead Zone does jackshit. It's incredibly annoying to have the left trigger so damn sensitive in ASRT when using a GameCube controller but I enjoy having the right trigger so sensitive. :/