don't click here

Help Can anyone tell me why the Sonic 1 and 2 box were different in the US and Canada?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blugenesi(Jarty), Aug 3, 2020.

1. Blugenesi(Jarty)

Blugenesi(Jarty)

Wannabe Youtuber Member
    Hi everyone, sorry if this could have been in the Supreme Topic of other knowledge, But this topic has confused me for a long time now and I was wondering if anyone can give me a answer and I could make a video about it.

For some reason, Sonic 1, and at the very least Sonic 2, in canada were different in terms of box art then the US versions. Generally, we canadians get games that are the exact same as the United states, but for at least Sonic 1 and 2, what we got were basically the PAL art with a genesis logo slapped on. It’s remarkably lazy especially with Sonic one, because with the bottom of the box, it still says “Sega Mega Drive” I do not have pictures of this of my own, as unfortunately I don’t have access to my canadian versions and I actually have gone on Ebay to get full sets of the japanese and american versions with manuals, but weirdly enough, it seems to be impossible to find canadian copies of Sonic 1 and 2 with everything included with a decent price on ebay or even marketplace.

Now i’m just looking for a why this is, because to me it’s a big mystery. If anyone could help me it would mean a lot to me, since I can’t find much in this subject online. I think it would make a sweet video though, so I thought i’d ask here since I basically lurk here mostly.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because a good part of your country speaks French. It was easier to recycle the European designs than to make brand new covers.

3. Blugenesi(Jarty)

Blugenesi(Jarty)

Wannabe Youtuber Member
    Is there a source on that? Because it does seem plausible, but I still think it’s a odd move and am curious

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I was hoping to see the pictures.

5. Don't know if this is relevant, but here in Brazil we too got the European design for Sonic 1, while we normally got the US design.

sonic1br.jpg

BTW, the PAL-M video standard used in Brazil actually had the same timing as NTSC, so it's not like we got the PAL versions of the games game or anything. Our ROMs have always been NTSC.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Frozen

Frozen

Italy, Rome
    https://sonicworldcollectors.wordpress.com/ cover database
    i have upload them too XD And i can confirm, because Canada have both american and france language(see modern canadian titles), was more cheaper and faster recycle cover and manual, since have already both english and france language inside. So putting Genesis logo over a Megadrve one, is the faster way for "cheating" the system.

8. Blugenesi(Jarty)

Blugenesi(Jarty)

Wannabe Youtuber Member
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the responses. I was hoping it would be a little bit more interesting of a reason why, but it makes sense that they just reused the Pal design because it had more languages.

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I bought the Canadian version of Sonic 1 a few years ago. At first I thought it was odd seeing the PAL box art, but once I read the manual I realized that it was just cheaper for Sega to reuse the Pal manual since French is the secondary language to Canada of course.

10. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Also worth noting that this just seems to be the general trend for early Canadian boxes: https://segaretro.org/Category:Mega_Drive_CA_box_scans

Easier to swap a Mega Drive logo for Genesis than do more work, I suppose. It does raise the question of what was done after the PAL black design, though, since theoretically, the boxes would need to be in French to sell still, but we have no later specific Canadian designs that I know of.