don't click here

Campaign to get SEGA to port SegaSonic Arcade to the DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Aug 27, 2011.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, to be quite honest... the game's really not that good. It's honestly an odd relic from Sonic's arcade forays. But since it's not easily playable to most people, there's interest in trying it out. I don't blame Sega, assuming they've actually spoken about this, for scoffing at the project. Project Rainfall and Project Moonfall are far more probable targets of their campaigns actually working. This one? It's about as effective as Mega Man Legends 3's.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    From what I've heard, trackballs on touchscreens are a bad idea. And that's a capacitive touchscreen. Lord knows how gimped it would be on the DS's resistive one.

You seriously want this controlled via an analogue stick, and I know there was some stupid comment about how it was "impossible" to do when discussing SegaSonic Arcade's exclusion from Sonic Gems Collection, but that's nothing more than garbage.
    [​IMG]
    Our good friend SDI saw a PS2 port

it was built to use a trackball

of course, you'd be much better off with a "System 32 Collection" than trying to market SegaSonic Arcade on its own - there were only 21 games released for System 32 hardware, and with the exception of Rad Mobile and the gimped Mega Drive port of OutRunners, I don't think any of them have ever seen home conversions.

if you assume Sega won't get the license for things such as Jurassic Park, Spider-Man or Dragon Ball Z, you end up with a compilation that fits right in with Sega's "release the bear minimum" policy.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I know what you're trying to say, but still, I'm pretending I didn't read that.

Also, what Jack said. Great sprites, good gameplay/level design for the isometric perspective, voice cast, but okay music. It's certainly not a great or famous cult arcade game the likes of classic brawlers and shooters and whatnot, but then it's not a brawler or a shooter. It's a Sonic game. And in that respect, it's actually pretty good! It deserves to be rereleased in some capacity. Especially if SEGA deigns games like Sonic Spinball, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Drift, Tails' Sky Patrol, and Tails' Adventure worth mentioning, let alone rereleasing.

4. Columind

Columind

Geistbox Member
    Music and Comics
    Trackball coupled with the fact that SegaSonic was completely unlocalized and appeared in Japanese even in its limited EU release makes me believe that Sega really wouldn't go through the trouble of porting this, especially when it's one of the most obscure Sonic games ever released. The fact that it's ridiculously short isn't exactly a point in it's favor, so I don't see this getting a release unless Sega decides to make another compilation and throw it in as a bonus, and even that is some wishful thinking.

For a lot of other devs it probably wouldn't be such a big issue to port a game like SegaSonic, but this is Sega we're talking about, who've only started showing how to properly port a game with Sonic CD this year, and even then over half of that port isn't even made by them.

That's not to say that I'd object to a port. SegaSonic isn't a game I don't like, it's just a game I don't care about.

5. Which inturn leads me to ask: if you don't care about it, then why are you posting?

It's about as beneficial to this topic as me going into the Sonic 4 topic and swearing my allegiance against Iizuka, it means nothing.

6. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I actually played this on real hardware, in Sega World in London. I was quite young though and have very limited memories of it.

I fully support the campaign to get it rereleased in some form. I think it would be better as part as some sort of ultimate Sonic collection than a stand alone title.

7. That is exactly how I played it, when SEGA World opened in that section of the Trocadero I played Sonic The Fighters then Sega Sonic Arcade. People talking smack about both of those games seem to not know what they are talking about at all, see the previous posts for that. This game really is a case of: play it before calling it crap.

8. Columind

Columind

Geistbox Member
    Music and Comics
    Last I checked this was a topic about a campaign, not necessarily about the game itself.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Do you guys think that perhaps, just perhaps, this game could be remade using the Retro Engine?

Still wouldn't count on any DS versions if this was possible, but...

10. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

it's a DREAM PARADOX Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Uh, isn't the Retro Engine made for 2D side-scrolling platformers, with the Retro-Sonic Nexus and Sonic CD's remake just being examples of the engine in use with a Sonic game's parameters and such?

11. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Remaking SegaSonic Arcade would no problem from a technical standpoint, as the Retro Engine is basically a software version of a "32-bit" era console.

I have no idea how successful the actual game would be though, it's pretty niche.

12. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    And more likely than not, they'd replace Mighty and Ray with two other friends who would draw more audiences... so expect anyone like Tails, Knuckles, Shadow or Silver.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    And I can safely tell you Sega isn't going to bother with it. They were going to do it once, and decided to scrap it because they were unable to emulate the trackball properly because the controls weren't easily mappeable (huh, MAME, anyone?). If they can't get emulation right then they simply aren't going to bother with it.

What bothers me though is that the game is indeed made on the assumption that it's using a trackball, and by this I don't mean the game is unplayable with anything that isn't a trackball (seriously, just emulate some inertia and you have a perfectly playable game with a stick), but that the level design and maybe even the engine is made around it. It's like the game completely ignores the concept of slopes. The part where a big rock chases you in the volcano level makes this one blatantly obvious, the game behaves like it was a perfectly horizontal surface when it's a really steep slope.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now I can't stop thinking of SEGA releasing a hardware version of it, with backwards compatibility with Mega Drive, Mega-CD and 32X. But that will never happen. :(

15. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    iPhone port would be more likely.

...just sayin

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    A hardware version of a game engine? It's not something you could literally turn into a game console :P

What I mean by a "software version of a console" is that graphically it supports most of the features you'd find in something like the Sega Saturn. E.g. Sprites with Scaling/Rotation/Blending, Tile Layers with scan line scrolling/deformation, Mode 7 style tile layers, polygons etc etc.

So provided one knows how to program a game like SegaSonic Arcade, there's no reason why it couldn't be remade with the Retro Engine.

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    As long as they don't fill the game with bullshit Silver physics puzzles or bubble homing attack chains, I'll be A-OK with it. But that would just be more thankless work on SEGA's part than just porting the game unaltered to the eShop/DSiWare/the next Sonic compilation.

Besides, I thought younger fans love new characters. I don't see why they wouldn't welcome the likes of Ray and Mighty into the limelight, because they've probably never even heard of them.

18. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Personally if they don't use the original trio of characters I absolutely won't get it. For me the only reason to play the game is to play as Ray or Mighty because it's one of the few chances to even if you count hacks.

19. What SEGA could do is this:

Completely REMAKE the game using the Retro Engine. Instead of making it a straight remake, add some things, and focus on what made the original worth playing: MULTIPLAYER. Take Scott Pilgrim vs. The World The Game as an example, there's a retro multiplayer game done right. Follow in the footsteps of that game. Give the game an extra character, very rarely do you ever see a game that's specifically three-player, it's just silly these days. The standard is four-player, so add either one new character or a slew of new characters. I'd suggest Nack/Fang, this way we can introduce all the forgotten characters to today's generation of kids, and even long time fans that haven't heard of them. Then maybe make Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Amy, Cream, Rouge, whoever you want unlockables. This will give the game more appeal, rather than a locked three now you have more of a choice, and if the extra characters are unlockable then you give the game added replay value.

The idea to SegaSonic Arcade is that it's an isometric obstacle course rather than a side scrolling platformer. That, along with the fact that now more than ever you have to watch your speed at every step, gives this game it's unique charm. Focus on this for the gameplay, and add in stuff like being able to work together with your buddies OR throw them under the bus, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has shown that this level of co-op/competitive gameplay is a sure fire seller.

Expand the story a little, but not by much. The use of the cartoony intro where Robotnik captures the characters was great in the original, lets make it better. Robotnik kidnaps Sonic and his friends and puts them to the test on his island obstacle course, he's essentially toying with them the whole game. Let's throw cutscenes in between each level, short, sweet, humorous cutscenes that show in comic book/cartoony/90's arcade style the adventures of Sonic and friends on Robotnik's island. A little story can go a long way.

Lastly, release this as a digital download for every system. Make it $10 to $15, and play up the Arcade style gameplay in all promotional materials. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World The Game was a HUGELY successful downloadable game, there is a market for retro arcade style multiplayer downloadable games, and here is Sonic's chance. Use it exclusively as an excuse to introduce old characters who can be used to make more merch that'll sell.

Why just re-release it when they can take it and improve upon it and make it something they could milk? Sonic Battle was the last multiplayer Sonic game that wasn't a racer, and it got huge amounts of critical praise, SEGA could work that angle. A great Sonic multiplayer game that anyone can pick up and play that reintroduces forgotten characters. It practically sells itself.

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Good thinking. If I had to say anything about the cutscenes, I'd prefer it to be in the style of the cutscenes of the original: sprite-based cartoons with some brief voice samples. Possibly Japanese.

And if it's going to be 4-player co-op as the standard, do you think the level design would have to be altered to account for it? Or does it seem robust enough to handle that many players?

Also, it is a fairly short game. Perhaps they could add a new level or two? Perhaps an underground bunker of sorts a la Scrap Brain or Metropolis Zone?