don't click here

Brazillian boxes

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I've been saving Hivebrain some trouble by organising box scans, and something keeps catching my eye. Well two things actually, but I'll get to the second in a bit.

For a short period while Tectoy were publishing Sega Mega Drive/Sega Master System games for Brazil, they seemed to put letters within circles on their boxes. I thought this was a primitive ratings board system of sorts, but it doesn't seem to make much sense as one.

Examples

Heavyweight Champ has an A
    G-LOC has a B
    George Foreman's Knock-Out Boxing (which is a rebranded Heavyweight champ) has a C
    Global Gladiators has a D
    Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition has an F
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 has a G

they're not present on all Tectoy boxes but they're very common... does anyone know what they mean?

and the second question

as you can see from a few of those scans, there's an actual ratings system in place, giving George Forman a "T.I.", Jurassic Park a "13" and UMK3 "18". Anyone know what it's called or whether Tectoy made it up?

2. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I know the ratings were made up by Tec Toy prior to DCTJQ or whatever the acronym is. No idea on those letters.

EDIT: Is it possible that the letters correspond to years? I noticed the chronological order of those titles.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    "T.I" is "Todas as Idades", it means, "All Ages" :P

So it's the "Everyone" equivalent.

I think it's the "Departamento de Justiça, Classificação, Títulos e Qualificação" DJCTQ.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki