don't click here

BlueScreen Errors

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Naean, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=580349:date=Apr 21 2011, 03:08 PM:name=angryzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (angryzor @ Apr 21 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580349">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=580334:date=Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM:name=Naean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Naean @ Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580334">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I ran the Memtest86+ thing for over 13 hours! It passed 10 tests with no errors whatsoever detected. I decided 13 hours was more than enough time, so I pressed Esc to restart my computer, and I'm back now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good, then it's probably just a broken driver.

<!--quoteo(post=580334:date=Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM:name=Naean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Naean @ Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580334">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, where can I find the crash minidumps on my computer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    C:\Windows\Memory.dmp by default... Otherwise look in C:\Windows\Minidump\<date>.dmp

<!--quoteo(post=580334:date=Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM:name=Naean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Naean @ Apr 21 2011, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580334">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, angryzor, did you find anything interesting or of use in my <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?031lrp9156blqwo" target="_blank">System Information File</a> you wanted?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really, I was looking for obvious problems but there's nothing that really catches the eye. Can still come in handy though. It's just an easy way to know what hardware you are using.
    A minidump would probably indeed be the best way to find out exactly what's going wrong...
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay.

Well, I have one MEMORY.DMP file in C:\Windows, and 102 .dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump.

I've uploaded the MEMORY.DMP in a .zip file, and all of the 102 .dmp files in another .zip file.
    Download them here: <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?kxdg5od0w3ib4mn" target="_blank">MEMORY DMP file.zip</a>, <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?hcd51cvdy6lrytf" target="_blank">Minidump dmp files.zip</a>.

Cheers once again for everyone's input. I really appreciate your help. :)

2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Some driver in your machine is fucked up and causes several of your apps to point to wrong memory locations that result in a lockup. Sony Vegas, Sim City 4, Avast, most often Episodes of Liberty City.

I only checked a bunch of the minidumps, but the nvidia drivers came up most often. Try either updating them (the videocard one), or removing them entirely and replacing them with the Microsoft built-in one (the network card one). I've had issues with vendor-updated drivers for my NIC caused massive problems, while the builtin MS driver worked flawless.

3. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=580471:date=Apr 21 2011, 09:32 PM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 21 2011, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580471">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some driver in your machine is fucked up and causes several of your apps to point to wrong memory locations that result in a lockup. Sony Vegas, Sim City 4, Avast, most often Episodes of Liberty City.

I only checked a bunch of the minidumps, but the nvidia drivers came up most often. Try either updating them (the videocard one), or removing them entirely and replacing them with the Microsoft built-in one (the network card one). I've had issues with vendor-updated drivers for my NIC caused massive problems, while the builtin MS driver worked flawless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks.

I'm going to try installing <a href="http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-32bit-270.61-whql-driver-uk.html" target="_blank">this NVIDIA GeForce ION Driver v270.61 update</a> I found, released 18th April 2011. Hopefully it fixes the BlueScreen errors and any pointers to incorrect memory locations.

Edit: How neat, the NVIDIA update wizard has a "Perform a clean installation" option - I'm certainly using that!

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I'd be more concerned with finding stable nforce drivers, but I know that those things don't exist.

5. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=580507:date=Apr 21 2011, 10:54 PM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 21 2011, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580507">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be more concerned with finding stable nforce drivers, but I know that those things don't exist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stable Nforce drivers? I guess NVIDIA GeForce drivers were not what I was supposed to be finding updates for. Okay, so where can I check for stable Nforce drivers?

Also, you said I could replace my drivers with a built-in Microsoft one. How would I go about doing that?

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Device manager, select a hardware and hit delete, then click the "delete driver too" checkbox. But first check the manufacturer/date of the driver.

Thing is, you are running on an nforce based motherboard. I'm not sure if stable drivers for those even exist. There was a gigantic shitstorm about it, when Vista came out and nvidia refuse to do proper drivers, and ever since that, nforce has been a gigantic laughingstock. I met at least 2 guys who couldn't get nforce + vista working right (edit: one of those used win7, not vista, but its NT6 all the same)), and I personally switched out an otherwise decent motherboard to a less equipped one based on a Via chipset, because of nvidia dicking around. But, even before Vista, they had "minor" issues like the IDE driver breaking disk reads in many apps, and there's even a warning in utorrent about the nforce LAN devices.

As far as the chipset and your Network interface goes, I'd probably trust the Vista built-in drivers more than whatever blob of kludges nvidia calls a driver.

7. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=580548:date=Apr 22 2011, 12:11 AM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 22 2011, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580548">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Device manager, select a hardware and hit delete, then click the "delete driver too" checkbox. But first check the manufacturer/date of the driver.

As far as the chipset and your Network interface goes, I'd probably trust the Vista built-in drivers more than whatever blob of kludges nvidia calls a driver.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay, so I'm in Device Manager here, what stuff do I delete and how exactly?:
    [​IMG]
    I'm concerned about those two Microsoft Adapters showing exclamation symbols, do I need to fix them also?

Oh, and how do I set Windows Vista to use Vista built-in drivers, rather than NVIDIA drivers?

Thanks for your help. :) Apologies if I'm a bit "I don't know what to do now, derp." on quite a few things.

8. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=580555:date=Apr 21 2011, 03:26 PM:name=Naean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Naean @ Apr 21 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580555">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, so I'm in Device Manager here, what stuff do I delete and how exactly?:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Highlight something, then do this:
    <a href="http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6563/67396deletekey.jpg" target="_blank">http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6563/67396deletekey.jpg</a>

(optionally if you have a Penticle processor, you may want to first enter "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg" quotes included, and then press Delete.)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm concerned about those two Microsoft Adapters showing exclamation symbols, do I need to fix them also?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's some ip6 to ip4 converter. Delete them. If they come back, see if windows finds a driver for them automatically - if it doesn't, try updating them manually via windows update (in device manager, go into the properties of any one component, and look for the update button on the second tab).
    If they still don't work, disable them, so they don't float there without working.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and how do I set Windows Vista to use Vista built-in drivers, rather than NVIDIA drivers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Delete an object and tick the "delete device driver too" box. Then look for new hardware (right click on "DC1", it'll be there in the context menu). Windows will then try readding whatever you removed, and it'll do so with whatever is the latest driver it can find on your machine. Repeat until it installs a driver that doesn't lock up.

9. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I deleted the NVIDIA driver shown in the screenshot I posted, context clicked "DC1" and selected "Scan for hardware changes", and Device Manager replaced it with "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2".

I'll play some games, try rendering something in Sony Vegas Pro, and report back if I still get BlueScreen errors. Thanks. ;)

10. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    ... if it did not actually delete the device driver, it'll just readd the hardware with the exact same driver. That's why I told you to check the driver manufacturer and date.

11. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=580577:date=Apr 22 2011, 01:29 AM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 22 2011, 01:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580577">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... if it did not actually delete the device driver, it'll just readd the hardware with the exact same driver. That's why I told you to check the driver manufacturer and date.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I told it to delete the NVIDIA nForce, and I also checked the box to delete the device driver, so it should have completely removed the device driver.... right?

Oh, and the NVIDIA nForce driver I now have installed is dated 17/11/2007, version 67.7.2.0.

Edit 1: Wait, is it possible my system doesn't have default, built-in Vista network drivers, and that's why it reverted to an older NVIDIA network driver instead?

Edit 2: Tried rendering something in Sony Vegas Pro. It got to about 30% complete, then I got a BlueScreen again. Only this time, it was a different message (Instead of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.) at the top. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was something like win2k.sys or win32.sys....

So yeah, right now I'm at a loss of how to get my Vista built-in network drivers in use, rather than some NVIDIA network driver, because as of now it seems Vista built-in network drivers are not present on my system....

Edit 3: I just tried to delete the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2, except it doesn't delete. I've tried to get rid of it multiple times but to no avail. It looks like that's the furthest I can go with 're-deleting and re-searching' network adapters, and thus I cannot seem to get to any built-in Vista network adaptors/drivers whatsoever. *Sigh.* :(

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Try just disabling it instead of deleting it (with right click). If it still crashes with that hardware disabled, chances are something else causes the blue screens. Could be chipset driver, video driver, audio driver, etc.

13. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=580087:date=Apr 20 2011, 08:22 PM:name=angryzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (angryzor @ Apr 20 2011, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580087">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, next time you get a BSOD, write down the driver the system crashed in ("seems to be caused by the following file: XXXXX.SYS" and at the bottom "XXXXX.SYS - Address 0xXXXXXXXX bla bla bla").<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Got a BlueScreen yet again while using Sony Vegas Pro. Managed to take a photo of it this time (Usually the computer restarts itself without enough time to look at the BlueScreen text.) so you can see the error details. Unfortunately, it doesn't specify any file.

[​IMG]

<!--quoteo(post=580687:date=Apr 22 2011, 12:55 PM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 22 2011, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=580687">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try just disabling it instead of deleting it (with right click). If it still crashes with that hardware disabled, chances are something else causes the blue screens. Could be chipset driver, video driver, audio driver, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay, I'll try disabling it (When I don't need an Internet connection.), then play a game, and I'll see if my P.C. still BlueScreens.

I'll report back with the results when I've done so.

Edit: Went to play a game (Grand Theft Auto Episodes From Liberty City.) with it disabled, and still got a BlueScreen after a while. This time though, there's not even any specific message at the top....
    [​IMG]
    Also, fun fact - the BlueScreen itself locked up, and failed to finish "Initializing disk for crash dump". Looks like my P.C. fails at failing....

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Not much help but eh:

STOP 8E = Possible causes of this error may include the following:

*Hard disk damage
    *General hardware configuration problems with the BIOS, the memory, the hard disk, or with other devices
    *Incompatible device driver
    *Incompatible software

15. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    You can sort out hard drive damage by running HDTune on a full scan, cpu problems with IntelBurnTest, and RAM with the built-in memory tester in Vista and Win7 (it does the same thing as memtest).

If those all check out, we are back to driver problems.

16. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=581263:date=Apr 24 2011, 04:04 PM:name=SMTP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SMTP @ Apr 24 2011, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=581263">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not much help but eh:

STOP 8E = Possible causes of this error may include the following:

*Hard disk damage
    *General hardware configuration problems with the BIOS, the memory, the hard disk, or with other devices
    *Incompatible device driver
    *Incompatible software<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=581269:date=Apr 24 2011, 04:41 PM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 24 2011, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=581269">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can sort out hard drive damage by running HDTune on a full scan, cpu problems with IntelBurnTest, and RAM with the built-in memory tester in Vista and Win7 (it does the same thing as memtest).

If those all check out, we are back to driver problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks and thanks.

Currently running a HD Tune Pro 4.60 - Hard Disk Utility Error Scan, and will post the results when finished.

Edit 1: Finished. Here's the results:

HD Tune Pro: MAXTOR STM3160215AS Error Scan

Scanned data : 159 gB
    Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
    Elapsed Time : 52:41

Currently running IntelBurnTest v2.50, and will post the results when finished.

Edit 2: Finished. Here's the results:

----------------------------
    IntelBurnTest v2.50
    Created by AgentGOD

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    Clock Speed: 3.12 GHz
    Active Physical Cores: 2
    Total System Memory: 3069 MB

Stress Level: Standard (1024 MB)
    Testing started on 25/04/2011 00:12:48
    Time (s) Speed (GFlops) Result
    [00:15:03] 114.104 7.8339 3.456245e-002
    Testing ended on 25/04/2011 00:15:03
    Test Result: Success.

Edit 3: Finished running a Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in Extended mode, and it didn't find any errors. It was supposed to show scan results information after logging on, but it didn't do so. Huh.

HD Tune Pro 4.60, IntelBurnTest v2.50, and Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool all found no problems or errors. So, what's the next best course of action?

17. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I will reiterate my silly suggestion that the computer might be overheating. It seems that your crashes happen when doing computationally-expensive work. Is the processor overclocked? If the BIOS Setup displays a temperature, what does it read right after a crash? Is/are the fan(s) working?

18. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=581813:date=Apr 25 2011, 06:14 PM:name=FraGag)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FraGag @ Apr 25 2011, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=581813">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will reiterate my silly suggestion that the computer might be overheating. It seems that your crashes happen when doing computationally-expensive work. Is the processor overclocked? If the BIOS Setup displays a temperature, what does it read right after a crash? Is/are the fan(s) working?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If IntelBurnTest did not cause his computer to melt down on the spot, overheating cannot be an issue. That thing is like Furmark for your cpu.

I'd say your hardware is fine. Do a "chkdsk c: /f" to rule out any possible filesystem errors (doubt your machine could run this long if it had any, tough).
    Also, how many runs did you do in intelburntest? A single run? If so, do something like 4-5 runs, on maximum allowed stress mode, just to make sure.
    And speaking of Furmark, try leaving that on for 5-10 minutes too.

If neither of those turn up anything, I'm 99% sure it's a driver issue.

and since you still got bluescreens with network device turned off, that leaves the chipset, audio, and video drivers. Most apps I've seen on those minidumps seems to be all stuff that use your videocard though. Do you only get crashes while running Vegas and games, or during normal computer usage too?

19. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    <!--quoteo(post=581813:date=Apr 26 2011, 03:14 AM:name=FraGag)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FraGag @ Apr 26 2011, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=581813">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will reiterate my silly suggestion that the computer might be overheating. It seems that your crashes happen when doing computationally-expensive work. Is the processor overclocked? If the BIOS Setup displays a temperature, what does it read right after a crash? Is/are the fan(s) working?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=581825:date=Apr 26 2011, 04:08 AM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Apr 26 2011, 04:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=581825">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=581813:date=Apr 25 2011, 06:14 PM:name=FraGag)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FraGag @ Apr 25 2011, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=581813">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will reiterate my silly suggestion that the computer might be overheating. It seems that your crashes happen when doing computationally-expensive work. Is the processor overclocked? If the BIOS Setup displays a temperature, what does it read right after a crash? Is/are the fan(s) working?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If IntelBurnTest did not cause his computer to melt down on the spot, overheating cannot be an issue. That thing is like Furmark for your cpu.

I'd say your hardware is fine. Do a "chkdsk c: /f" to rule out any possible filesystem errors (doubt your machine could run this long if it had any, tough).
    Also, how many runs did you do in intelburntest? A single run? If so, do something like 4-5 runs, on maximum allowed stress mode, just to make sure.
    And speaking of Furmark, try leaving that on for 5-10 minutes too.

If neither of those turn up anything, I'm 99% sure it's a driver issue.

and since you still got bluescreens with network device turned off, that leaves the chipset, audio, and video drivers. Most apps I've seen on those minidumps seems to be all stuff that use your videocard though. Do you only get crashes while running Vegas and games, or during normal computer usage too?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay, to answer some questions.

No, my processor is not overclocked, and none of my other hardware is.

My fans are working fine, but until a few days ago, had a lot of dust in them. I took the casing off my computer and hoovered the inside of it, after angryzor suggested that my computer fans may be clogged with dust, and overheating may be a BlueScreen cause. We tested this by running NVIDIA System Monitor while rendering something in Sony Vegas Pro, and sure enough, my computer was reaching temperatures of up to 92 degrees Celsius. Just so you know, I have three fans in my computer. Two small ones, and one big one.

As for IntelBurnTest, I ran that at least 3 times, and each time it passed successfully. I couldn't run the test at any higher than "Standard" stress level though. Each time I tried, it came up with a message which basically said "You need a 64 bit O.S. to run this test." or something similar.

I'll run that IntelBurnTest one more time, and let you know how I get on.

What options shall I set in FurMark before I start its tests? It has multiple tick boxes and options and stuff.

Also, how do I run "chkdsk c: /f"? Through Command Prompt?

Oh and yes, I only get BlueScreens while running games, running Sony Vegas Pro, or running Skype. I once got a BlueScreen while using Firefox, and it seems like that was a one-off error that fixed itself.

20. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    chkdsk <- yes, through command port. It'll ask you to run it on the next bootup. Answer yes, and reboot. It shouldn't take too long. Afterwards you can check stats by just running it without the /f switch from windows.

For furmark, just run it in stability test mode for 10 minutes or so, probably with everything enabled that makes it run slower (post fx, aa, etc).

92c is normal for your gpu, but very high for cpu.

If all your hardware tests out fine, it's a driver issue.