Blaze in Sonic 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Xenowhirl, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    [​IMG]
    (in-game screenshot)

I got the idea to replace Sonic and Tails with Blaze and Cream, the alternate pair of characters in Sonic Rush. Blaze can hover and Cream can fly, and both will get tricks, though I'll skip boost mode and tension gauge. I didn't draw the sprites. The palette works somehow even with 5 shades of purple and Blaze/Cream/enemies/projectiles/explosions sharing it.

So does this sound good to anyone else or am I just crazy? And can anyone recommend any sprite sets over the ones I'm trying to use? Because I think I'm screwed when it comes to finding sprites for all of Blaze's animations. Cream on the other hand has more animation frames than I could ever conceivably use. Paste those links to a new window to see them btw.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    I like the idea. I'm not really sure if there is a set of Blaze with all the required animations out there. Although I could possibly whore myself out for free and make additional ones.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    This is interesting. I was going to do Amy and Cream ages ago, but never got round to it, then I decided not to. Will that happen? Who knows, but this is a good idea.

4. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    The sprites look good and I'm really interested in the idea of Rush-esque abilities in Sonic 2, so I'd be happy to see this idea developed into a full hack. I don't know if you'd be able to, but using ideas like the Fire Boost would add an interesting new twist on gameplay (I know PU70 has added a simular idea in Sonic 1 Remastered). It would also make the trick system more useful than simply adding to your score.

5. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Those are some very nice looking sprites. I don't know if anyone has tried this, but it would probably be nearly impossible to attempt a remake of Rush on the Genesis with all the vibrant colors and 2.5-D levels. Then again I haven't got to play the game yet because my girlfriend never got me a DS for my birthday like I wanted *rant rant rant*. Anywho...I think this is a great idea and I'm looking forward to whatever you decide on doing with this hack as mostly all of your ideas sound interesting.

Well, I believe this is my last post, so I hope to see you all on the other side...

6. Kampfer

Kampfer

If you were to attempt this, make sure the art matches the game you are making. Gernelly advance sprites and old school levels don't mix well.

This sounds pretty ambitious. Take a page from what Sonic Team did in '94 and make sure you add extras with the new abilites that Sonic could normally not reach.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    The Blaze sprites seem to be based on the Sonic 3 style, and Cream pretty much fits anything because of her huge head and small body, being a child and all.

8. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Cream did look kinda weird when I just threw her sprite in, it was too small and had a cartoony black outline around it. But when I resized it and brightened the outline it fit right in.

I didn't mean score stuff, only mobility. Here's my plan for new controls for Blaze:
    Release then hold A/B/C after jumping - hover, falling slowly while retaining left/right control as if walking, for up to 5 seconds
    Hit A/B/C while springing - boost forward at high speed for 1/4 seconds then slow down
    Hit A/B/C while springing and holding up - stop and boost up at high speed
    Hit A/B/C while springing and holding up and forward - keep moving and boost up at high speed

Cream will be like Tails in Sonic 3 except she flies faster, gets tired faster, and can press B to stop flying without having to land. I don't know if Cream should be able to carry Blaze like Tails carries Sonic, and I don't know what should happen if you try doing a trick as Cream.

Both of them will get some physics tweaks from Sonic 3 to improve the playability even if you don't use the extra moves.

See, that'd just make it more ambitious... maybe. I haven't tried editing levels yet so I can't guess how hard it would be.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Texas
    lol
    The only complaint I have is that Cream looks far too flat.

10. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    I guess you're right. Luckily, that's only because her sprites looked that way in Advance 3; the palette I'm using can easily handle making it better, so you can expect the Cream sprites to look smoother.

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

I've never liked Blaze as a character, but if you can add an interesting twist to Sonic 2 using her, then that would be kinda neat. I mean, all that fire attacks and stuff. Maybe you can make an attack that works like a flame shield from S3 or something. The more attacks, the better. We've already played sprite hacks, so give us some character moves' goodness, I'm sure you're the one to do it.

12. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Will this hack maintain Sonic as a playable character, or will it just be Blaze and Cream?

13. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    I wasn't about to. But it sounds like a good challenge to have 4 characters, make all combinations playable, and give them all new moves, so I'll see how it goes. [On second thought, no, only Blaze and Cream will be playable until later if I'm feeling masochistic]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.