don't click here

Best operating system for my laptop

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by SoullessSentinel, Jun 30, 2013.

1. My main laptop is pretty poor. It's not overly old (2007) but it's basic hardware specifications are as follows:

Celeron M 530 at 1.73Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Sis Mirage 3 graphics.
    Internal 20 GB hard drive (But that's not an issue, it's OS only, all data is on a 1TB external USB hard drive)
    It's original hard drive failed so I pulled a 20 GB from an old laptop with a fried motherboard.

It's got a 'designed for Windows Vista Basic' sticker, but I am currently running Windows XP.
    I'd prefer either Windows 7 (Hard drive space issue, so that's out) or Linux... However, it's graphics chipset seems to have support so poor that I can only run in VGA/VESA resolutions with no hardware acceleration.

I guess I'm just asking for suggestions to make it more usable, really. I have a more powerful desktop, but I like to use this laptop for web browsing and some programming on the move, so anything to make it better to work with would be amazing.

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    XP is more than fine for it. You just need a proper install and some customizations and it'll fly.

3. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Windows or Linux. I don't know why anyone bothers with anything else unless it's for specialized reasons.
    Seconding TmEE, Win XP is probably your best choice. I have a netbook (1 gb ram, single core 1.something ghz, 140 gb hard drive) that still runs on XP and it does well.

4. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Get a 64gb SSD and throw windows 7 on there. It'll be a snappy little fucker and you'll completely forget that it has such a poor CPU in it.

5. I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. An ssd would be put to waste with normal operations if it had a slow cpu along with it.

I have tried just that same scenario before and can assure you, you won't notice the difference the ssd makes except maybe in power consumption and noise (which is why I still left the ssd in). Just like everyone else said on here, stick with Win XP and tweak the hell outta it.

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Yes, SSD on a slow machine does not make as big difference as it does on already fast machine. My GF has a similarly specced machine and there's very little difference in operation between SSD and normal HDD.

7. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Good luck finding decent drivers.

8. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    That's weird, I have an intel atom 1ghz netbook (512mb RAM) that jets along now it has an SSD in it.

9. winterhell

winterhell

It really depends on the usage. If all you are going to do is spend your time in one program/browser/game you are less likely to notice the difference.
    Even a Pentium 4 can be bottlenecked by the fastest 15,000rpm HDD

10. So the general opinion is to stick with XP? I thought as much.
    A solid state is out of the questions, simply because of price, if I had the money to upgrade, I'd not waste it on a laptop with such a poor GPU.

Any specific optimisation tips aside from disabling services I never use?

11. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Linux DOES support the SiS Mirage 3 - you need to install/setup the SiS M671 driver. There's LOTS of info on that with a simple google search on something like "ubuntu sis m671 driver".

Here's a good site for using that chipset with an Ubuntu derivative: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sis