Best Musical Score in Sonic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheKazeblade, Jul 18, 2012.

What Games Have the Best Music?

1. Classics (1/2/3/3K/CD EU-JP-US)

50.6%
  2. Game Gear (1/2/Triple Trouble, etc.)

2.6%
  3. Post-Classic Era (Spinball/3D Blast MD-Saturn/Sonic R/ Fighters, etc.)

3.8%
  4. Dreamcast Era (Sonic Adventure/SA2/Shuffle)

7.7%
  5. Post-Dreamcast Era (Heroes/Shadow/'06)

3.8%
  6. Dimps Era (Advanced 1,2,3/Rush Series/Colors DS, Generations 3DS)

0.6%
  7. "Modern" Era (Unleashed/Colors/Generations)

28.2%
  8. Sonic 4 ep. 1-2 (Lol)

1.9%
  9. Other (Riders, All-Stars, or other spin-offs)

0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strife

Strife

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I didn't mind either version of Sonic CD"s soundtrack; The only music track I felt was out-of-place was the boss music in both versions. the JAP's boss tune is just weird and the fact it has lyrics makes it feel totally out-of-place with a Robotnik fight, and the US boss theme is honestly the most terrifying song I've ever heard in a video game. Neither of them really fit well to me, even though they were good song in their own right. xD;

Anyway, Crassic or Modern? Hard to turn a blind eye to Michael Jackson's work in the originals, but I really don't think the classics as whole can lift a candlelight to the stuff Sega's music team has been dishing out more recently.If there's one thing they put good money towards, it's the music (Sonic 4 being the exception here).

2. Dakt

Dakt

Classic era, specifically Sonic 3&K, was the best Sonic era imo, and of course it came with the best music. I almost voted for the SMS/GG area, but then I remembered that the soundtracks to Chaos and Triple Trouble were very underwhelming. Can't argue with the 8 Bit Sonic 1 and 2 music though, virtually flawless.

3. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    ^^^Subhuman reporting for duty^^^

There's only one correct answer to this poll if we're shooting for consistency, but I'm surprised and saddened to see the Dreamcast era getting so little support (even if Colors is rightfully skewing the vote)- Sonic Adventure had all the arrangement complexity of the modern soundtracks applied to genres that are so much more fitting for Sonic. Red Barrage Area spurred me to download something like 46GB of funk and disco hoping to find something similar. I can think of a few numbers that come close in part, and one live performance of a song that totally nails the style, but there otherwise isn't much out there that can match its wild tone and instrumentation. Which is to say Red Barrage Area is funkier than funk. Never mind what they did for salsa. SA1's sound was novel by any standards, Unleashed just sounds sterile in comparison. Wow! Rock with a string section!

Shuffle was a gem too, by the way

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Oh Jesus, I had Sonic CD for PC when I was a kid, and I was so terrified of the boss music that I physically couldn't play the boss levels without turning the volume off.

5. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    SMS/GG has some freaking amazing tunes. Some are among the best in the entire series.

*We all know Sunset Park Act 3 is top-tier, but the zone theme is great, too.

*Sonic Drift 2 has this gem

*Even Sonic Blast has its fair share of good music, too.

6. Dakt

Dakt

So, one or two good songs make a good soundtrack, do they?

There's no denying that compared to 8 Bit Sonic 1/2, Chaos and TT were just not as memorable or catchy. Even in the case of Chaos, the music didn't seem to fit the levels particularly well, specifically Gigopolis and EE Zone. Aqua Planet, to me, is the one great song on the Chaos soundtrack and the only one that really stands out.

7. Abso-friggin'-lutely. Out of all the Sonic games, Sonic 2 had the most consistently catchy soundtrack if you ask me. I could have the Sky Chase Zone music playing in my head on infinite loop and would be totally okay with it. All of the Genesis games had their really good tracks, some that weren't as good but weren't bad either, but nothing that was total crap.

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You want me to link the other nine? I'll grant you that exactly half of Triple Trouble's soundtrack is worth listening to, and that's the only concession you're getting. Sonic 1/2's good, consistent music, but Chaos is when they finally realized they were creating Sonic games and started scoring appropriately. S1GG could just as well be Alex Kidd.

9. Dakt

Dakt

Composition wise, the Chaos soundtrack just isn't on the same level as 1/2, and there's just not as many catchy melodies and at times there seems to be a late 80s cram-as-many-notes-as-possible approach taken. Honestly, I've played Chaos countless times and I can maybe conjure up at most three melodies, whereas I could recite the entire Sonic 1 soundtrack. I can't deny that there is a hand full of decent Sonic-esque songs on the Chaos and TT soundtracks, but as a whole it's just not as good.

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    I think Chaos / Triple Trouble have great compositions (I'm partial to Robotnik Winter, myself), but they suffer more under the 8-bit limitations than do the tunes of 1 / 2, which seem to be designed around those limitations.

(And Alex Kidd in Miracle World has an awesome soundtrack. Bo is a legend.)

11. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Oldbie
    This is the best musical score music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5alwU0yXhc

HAHA, GET IT?

Oh man, I need to sit down.

12. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I don't know about all of you, but I thought Chaos had a fantastic soundtrack. Then again I was never as much of a fan of a lot of popular video game music as most people.

Triple Trouble's soundtrack sounded like it wandered into the wrong game. :v:

13. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    This and the fact that Yuzo Koshiro was (is) a magician.

14. I dunno about Triple Trouble. It soundtrack sounds... sloppy. I'm pretty sure the composer who worked on Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos did NOT do the soundtrack for that and it really, really shows.
    The one song from Triple Trouble that people really love, the Sunset Park Act 3 music, is an unused leftover from Sonic Chaos.

I really don't think you understand the meaning of the word "objectively".

15. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Sonic Blast's music sounded like a shitstained version of Triple Trouble's music, so it's even worse.

16. Hukos

Hukos

you haven't been around enough music nerds I see :v:

17. Steelrush

Steelrush

Every good deed has its reward. Member
    A humid place
    Blaze the Cat in Sonic 2
    In my opinion, I would say it's a tie between the dreamcast era and the modern sound tracks. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 both feature music of my favorite genres, and Sonic Generations was given great remixes of those particular songs. I especially like the remade version of "Open your heart", it had a rather dark tone to it, and was even more fitting for the boss battle it was used in (the setting of Perfect Chaos's fight was a scene of destruction after all).

Overall, I'd say that Sonic Team is very intuitive when it comes to music.

18. SA and SA2 both had some really good tunes, but the lyrics on a lot of those songs just come across as cheesy to me, especially Knuckles's music. Obviously they weren't shooting for a Grammy nomination with the music, but I just don't think it's as consistently easy to listen to as the music from the classics was.

19. Hukos

Hukos

You need to listen to more of SA1's non-vocal songs more.

Matched up, toe to toe, honestly I think SA1's soundtrack just beats the shit out of even the soundtracks in the classic game (Sonic CDj is the only one that comes close to me, honestly). It just covers such a wide breadth of styles and still maintains a sense of focus that you can tell it all came from the same game. I know most people only know SA1's soundtrack for Open Your Heart, but there's so much more to it than just that one song (I will go on record to say that At Dawn is better than any track from the Genesis games, and it's not even my favorite track from SA1. Take off the nostalgia goggles, SA1's is clearly the best. ;)

Also I was born and raised on the classics as a child, like most of us here.

SA2's soundtrack was markedly weaker to me, though I wouldn't fault someone for voting the classic era over dreamcast due to consistency.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Though Sonic Adventure is one of my favorite video game OST's, At Dawn is very much weaker than many of the Genesis Tracks. I like At Dawn a lot, but I don't see how you can say it beats out every classic track with a straight face. Many other songs from SA rival most of the classics' music, but At Dawn is surely not one of them for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.