don't click here

Best format for a 3D Sonic game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aerosol, Mar 4, 2011.

Which 3D Sonic game came closest to what is ideal for you in a Sonic game?

1. Sonic Jam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sonic R

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sonic Adventure/Adventure 2/Heroes etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sonic Unleashed/Colors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    First off, forgive me if this has been done. I can't search "3D" at all, so finding a similar topic is really difficult. I'm getting some data for some reason or the other, and I wanted to know what the community at large thought the best 3D Sonic game was.

Now when I say best, I don't mean all inclusive. What I mean is which 3D Sonic game's core mechanics were the closest to what you think the ultimate 3D Sonic game would be like. If you liked how Heroes played, for instance, and only had a beef with enemies having HP and crappy level design, then you'd say Heroes.

Hopefully I can gather some good info.

EDIT: I'd just like to emphasis that I'm not asking for an opinion on which game is your favorite. Just which game's gameplay mechanics feel the most like what Sonic should be in 3D to you.

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    This poll kind of sucks seeing as SA1/2/Heroes are all very different. My vote goes towards SA1 and Heroes out of those, but SA2 is nothing like them and is what started off the shit we complain about now.

3. There are some levels in Sonic Adventure 1 that made me feel, "Wow, this is Sonic in 3D and everything is right" with branching paths, etc. For instance, I always love playing through Speed Highway as Tails.

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I agree that SA2 was just full of bullshit level design that still infects the games of today like a lingering cancer. Sonic R was a racer and it had multiple routes and no pits of death. It also looked like a Sonic game with bright level art and no generic humans. It was by no means perfect but it was probably as close as we ever got to a real 3D game with classic Sonic.

5. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Sonic Colors was pretty perfect as-is, really, just some occasional level design flaws

6. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Misfit
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    SA1 and SA2 are poles apart for me. SA1 I love, SA2 I despise the most out of the whole series.

I'm in the middle of playing Colors, I'll have to wait till I finish it before I reach I final verdict. But in terms of feel I think I like this the best out of the 3D games. The faggoty anime styling that completely alienated me from the series has gone, replaced by a more classic, cartoony look which I dig. I MUCH prefer the CD style surrealism of the Colors environments as opposed to realistic shit with human beings walking around. However I think I slightly prefer the Sonic gameplay in Adventure 1.

So, for my perfect 3D Sonic. I say combine Sonic's SA1 gameplay with Colors look, feel, music and atmosphere and everything else. Oh, and the rock music with silly faggots singing has to go because it really is wank! So far that's Colors biggest downfall for me, that fuck-awful theme song!

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I believe Sonic Adventure had the perfect blend of exploration and freedom in its levels and I feel that if they incorporate some of Unleashed/ Colors gameplay into that formula, we'd have something fantastic.

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Misfit
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    <!--quoteo(post=565405:date=Mar 5 2011, 12:17 AM:name=TheKazeblade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheKazeblade @ Mar 5 2011, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=565405">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe Sonic Adventure had the perfect blend of exploration and freedom in its levels and I feel that if they incorporate some of Unleashed/ Colors gameplay into that formula, we'd have something fantastic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Red Mountain and Speed Highway immediately come to mind. Fantastic levels!

9. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Other games have gotten the atmosphere and level design better, but I'll have the unpopular opinion and say I felt like the control of the character was best in Sonic Adventure 2. I still wouldn't call it perfect, but...

-Sonic World isn't a full game, so the character isn't full-featured and relatively slow.
    -Sonic R has characters control like cars, which is understandable for the kind of game it is.
    -Sonic Adventure does certain things better than SA2, but the engine seems to have a few more hiccups (honestly it's kindof a toss-up here)
    -Sonic Heroes has them accelerate too quickly (and automatically) and turn like they're on ice.
    -Sonic Unleashed and Colors aren't as bad as Heroes, but it's hard to evaluate since Unleashed's later level design irritates me and the spots where you're actually running in 3D in Colors are so few, far-between, and limited I feel like it barely qualifies as 3D gameplay.

Of course, since it's up there, I'll say that Sonic Jam's Sonic world was a neat little diversion and I'd have loved to see it evolve into a full game.

10. Knucklesdood

Knucklesdood

Redmond, WA
    Solipsys Redux
    Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 do it for me because they are closest to open, explorable design we've had. I'd love to have a similar open 3D experience with very tight level design, akin to the spirit of Sonic Colors with many ways to play a level.

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Definitely something that feels like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but with a balanced kind of exhilaration and sheer visual grandeur from Unleashed and Colors. Mind you, this is barring the crap like playing as Big or being forced to alternate between characters throughout a given story arc. Cut that crap out, give me the choice between about three great character arcs, give me a lovely world to explore and the kind of control and freedom that makes speed more satisfying in reserved, user-initiated bursts.

That being said, playing something new that combines the good 2D platforming elements of Colors with the few decent platforming pieces of Unleashed and a smoothed out SA1-style control should be cool.

12. Sonic World was a great "game", I'd like to see that idea taken to the next level and made into a full fledged game. I enjoyed the little missions and exploring the level, you can't truly adapt Sonic gameplay for 3D without it seeming linear, Sonic World was a step in the right direction.

13. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think I have the reverse opinion to most of you guys here when I confess that I think Sonic Adventure 2 rocked. It might be a case of the Dreamcast going out with a sonic boom and the end of its life (I don't think I have ever anticipated a game more) but as one of the posters above stated the way in which Sonic controlled was unparalleled. If we're looking at it from the point of view of what Sonic game made you feel like you were Sonic hurtling through the levels controlling his movements with ultimate precision then City Escape, Radical Highway and Green Forest all running on Sonic Adventure's 2 amazing (for the time) engine say hello.

I was extremely tempted to choose Sonic Jam there just because I loved Sonic World or whatever when I played it. Hands-down Sonic Adventure 2 for me. I played Unleashed and though I was wowed by the visuals I did not really feel in control of Sonic. At all. In terms of Sonic Heroes well that was quite possibly the greatest letdown I have ever had with a game. I clocked 120 hours in SA2 (loved that Chao Garden) and a grand total of 1.5 in hours with Heroes in a single playthrough. It had some creative concepts like Hang Castle and Bingo Highway but I did not enjoy the gameplay with that one. God that game seemed so much more promising when it was announced as opposed to what was released.

I think this is why Sonic (2006) sucked so hard and was such a letdown. It used an evolution of the SA2 engine (a promising indicator) but was made in about 2 months from an exhausted and we-don't-care-anymore Sonic Team.

Sonic Adventure 2 for me. Still holding out for a HD release of Colours. Opinions may change then.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    <!--quoteo(post=565423:date=Mar 4 2011, 05:15 PM:name=360)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (360 @ Mar 4 2011, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=565423">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I have the reverse opinion to most of you guys here when I confess that I think Sonic Adventure 2 rocked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I honestly really like SA2 as well, if only because the controls were the sharpest and most responsive out of any 3D Sonic sonic game thus far. The rest of my love of Adventure 2 is rooted purely in nostalgia and really isn't relevant to its quality.

15. If there was an HD release of Colors, you better believe I'd get it for 360

*waiting for 360 to make that great joke again*

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    The Adventure series felt pretty close to what I expected a 3D Sonic game should be, you take away some of the flaws of these games and they're what I expected a 3D Sonic game to be like for it's time. The story was pretty intersting for it's time, though that did have it's flaws.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    <!--quoteo(post=565386:date=Mar 4 2011, 06:30 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Mar 4 2011, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=565386">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This poll kind of sucks seeing as SA1/2/Heroes are all very different. My vote goes towards SA1 and Heroes out of those, but SA2 is nothing like them and is what started off the shit we complain about now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For my purposes, SA1/2/Heroes are all the same.

18. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    It's hard to pick.

For control I have to go with the unpopular opinion of SA2/B, but because I played it before the original SA/DX, I can't say for sure if I'd feel the same way had I played them in chronological order. Heroes' controls were ass on ice, and the controls in general since then have never really recovered 100%. Colors was acceptable enough to me, so I'd take it. Still a bit of a buttery "glide" to it, but far better than the past few years' attempts.

I guess combine the tight, responsive controls of the Adventure games with the look of Colors. Music: Also something in between. I love the upbeat feel of Colors' soundtrack, though I feel there could still be a smidge more variety in, say, the melodies of individual acts within the same zones. Copy/pasting the lead instrument solos from one act to another feels a little lazy to me, but it's still really great in general.

19. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    I guess that none of those are the "best format" for a 3D Sonic game.
    The best format itself wasn't even discovered yet. I guess the "less worst" infact is the Sonic Unleashed/Colors... I'm not suggesting that those are better than the masterpieces of Sonic Adventure, or whatsoever... All I'm saying is that SEGA/ST has 'masked' they camera flaws at Sonic games, on those two. With a lot of different cameras instead of just one at the behind of Sonic.

But that was about the camera.

About the gameplay itself I gotta say Sonic Adventure 1... I simply love that "exploring" feeling that the game gaves you. No invisible walls, nothing... It's just you and your curiosity to know what the hell lay on the back of the lighthouse...

Sonic the Hedgehog '06 tried to recreate the same feeling, and... In some way... It was able to, the only problems were the glitches that the game gave to you because of that.

About the story, I kinda like simple stories, like Colors one... Or maybe something even more simple...

So well, I think I'm with Sonic Colors/Unleashed... But I just wanna remeber that, in my opinion, it's not the best format, it's just the "less-worst" format.

20. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    SA2 really has a lot in comon with Colors and Unleashed at least the Sonic/Shadow portions. Sonic Adventure was hands down the best 3D Sonic game release. But really I found a lot of the ideas presented in Sonic Xtreme quite promising. It looked quite promising at through out its different iterations, very ahead of hits time. Super Mario Galaxy after all was really the first game to take advantage of changing up gravity in a significant way, something that was in the planing for Xtreme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.