don't click here

Behind the scenes on Night of the Werehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OSM, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
  2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    This is quite something. A very interesting read, to say the least. Nice to know the development into something like this.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yeah I saw this elsewhere. Didn't think anyone here would care.

I was actually surprised to find out that they use Maya, of all things. I never really liked that program too much.

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I thought it was neat they had live actors for visual reference to put motion into the characters, in my opinion that idea worked out rather well.

5. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    Indeed. I prefer Cinema 4D...which has something called CineMan. I saw the Pixar plug-in cited as RenderMan...I wonder if the two are related.

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Oh wow, an interesting read. Although I do enjoy the other behind the scenes interview (I can't remember where of the top of my head) which had maquettes and a screenshot from an unfinished scene of Chip and Sonic playing Dreamcast.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    :psyduck:

So anyway, this thing got a featured article on CGSociety a whole year after the fact? That's really something, but it totally deserved it. This new animation studio of Sega's is really the only thing Sonic has left to look forward to.

And Maya was the only 3D modeler I could ever use effectively. Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, it's really the cream of the crop right now.

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Oh yes. Sounds like we may be seeing more of this in the future for sure! :specialed:

9. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I'm not really impressed with the development. All you're going to hear are compliments. I want to hear where people struggled with certain issues the short film may have brought up (besides not being able to do motion capture due to time constraints).

As far as a major goal being animated films, that's a laugh. I know SEGA would do more than just Sonic stuff for their CGI films if that was to be realized, but...yeah. I reall doubt anything good will come out of their studio.

10. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    What they've done so far is a step in the right direction, at the very least; It's up to SEGA now to try and get something useful out of it, even if the games haven't been particularly inspiring.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I'll repeat what I was thinking when I played Sonic Riders for the first time last night: Sonic Team kind of sucks at making games but is an excellent animation studio! I'd love to see some feature length movies from these folks with totally new characters.

12. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Cool to hear they didn't use any motion capture for the short and had to learn how to move the characters without that shortcut, I.e real animating. The quality of the animation the short had shows that over time they could make excellent things so long as the scripts are good. More short films like this with barely any dialog would be fantastic, they're off to a very good start. Maybe if they can find a way to get the shorts added to the start of feature films in cinemas they could get some more attention and money heading towards their work, too.

Looking forward to seeing what they do next. If there is one thing Sega does very well nowadays, it's their CGI cut scenes (See Superstars tennis, Unleashed, the Sonic & Mario Olympics games etc), so I hope they give them plenty more work and build them up into a major asset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.