don't click here

Bean & Bark Fighers Megamix profiles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pengi, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    VEDJF is a she ;)

I didn't see where she said those informations are wrong, though.

2. Pengi

Pengi

This could be helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKKBQdHsRJ8

They even added some basic dialogue over the intro story.

Does anyone here have strong enough Japanese skills to translate Bean, Bark and Fang's character introductions? They mention the Chaos Emeralds a couple of times in Fang's intro, so it sounds like they're talking about each character's motivation. Interestingly, it sounds like Amy's hammer was called the "Piko Piko Hammer", so its name does predate Sonic Adventure.

As for Bin and Pin's species, our best lead still seems to be the Japanese flyer.

3. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    So... I did a search out of curiosity and while the guide says he's a woodpecker, every Japanese profile I could find online says he's a woodpecker, he has moves with the word woodpecker in their names, and the Dynamite Dux characters are clearly influenced by Woody Woodpecker... The official Virtua Striker 2 page says he's a soccer-loving duck. Huh.

http://www.amusementvision.com/products/vs2/

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Perhaps the writer of the VS2 page mistook him for a duck due to his connection to Dynamite Düx? Or maybe he's a half-breed like Fang, explaining why they didn't name him Bean the Woodpecker or Bean the Duck :v:
    The half-breed suggestion makes sense if you assume that his father Bin is a duck. It would also explain why Bin (a duck) has a rounded bill, while Bean (a duck/woodpecker hybrid) looks similar but has a more pointy bill.

5. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

Used to do things. No one quite recalls what. Member
    UK
    You could just ask. I hear if you ask him questions about his time there he generally answers.

I didn't go 'these guys are villains', though it is something of a nod to their antagonist status in the Archie comics where the characters received the most development. They were indeed "armed" (Bean) and "dangerous" (Bark) as the text describes although no crime is specifically mentioned - unlike Fang/Nack. Who even put up those posters anyway? Hmmmmmm... The 'Wanted' was though a specific double-meaning all three were wanted by the fans. They were all wanted back.

Likewise the Missing status of Ray and Mighty, beyond being obviously more appropriate for the two, was something of an in joke/reference by me from my old Sonic City days. Whilst we'd not seen hide nor hair of them (bar Archie) I did once ask Sonic Team in my site feedback what the status of the two were. The response was they "didn't know". Even Mania has not the power to resurrect poor Mighty and Ray. (Now there's a challange for Mania 2....)

It's a pity so much from that list of mine bar the posters and billboards never made it into Generations. You'd've loved it.

Ah well. Thanks for remembering me 'n all that...

6. Titan

Titan

UK
    Anybody able to help with the translaton of those character intros? They could potentially answer a lot about their characters...

7. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    @ArchangelUK Thank you so much for clearing that up.

Out of interest could you share what you had on your list, it sounds interesting.

I always thought the "Missing since 1993" was very clever. I know some fans complained that it excluded Mighty's apperance in Chaotix, but I don't think that was the intention and it was worth it for the "joke".
    It's nice to know that there were similar in-joke meanings with the wanted posters.

They were some of my favourite moments in the game, so thanks for including them.

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    My listening skills suck but Bark's says he's a polar bear from a northern country and Fang's says he's a thief after the chaos emeralds. I honestly can't make out what's being said about Bean outside of him using bombs as an attack, but it doesn't sound like any kind of character backstory or anything.

9. Titan

Titan

UK
    Ah okay, probably not any more than what we already knew, then; guessing the northern country is referring to North Island, which is where the FM guidebook says Bark is from. Cheers anyway :)

10. Pengi

Pengi

An issue of Gamest magazine has a story summary that goes into a bit more detail than we see in-game (bottom right).

http://i.imgur.com/82GgwD4.jpg

Not sure how official the information is.

I have a couple of questions. Did Sega/Sonic Team give you any information about Fang whilst you were working on Sonic City? There's been some discussion about his species lately.

Also, some parts of the fandom have been putting a lot of stock in the Generations Wanted poster, saying that "Nack" is his real name because it is listed first. Are they reading too much into it?