don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I suppose you want the mappings for artnem/titlefor.bin. If this is the case, you won't find sprite mappings for that, because it's not displayed as sprites. The mappings are in mapeni/titlescr.bin, but SonMapEd can not use this.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Right...the Tile Screen foreground mappings are in enigma format, so SonMaPED can't load them

Note that Enigma is a compression, I forget what it decompresses into.

Also, if you have the revision...something or other BG effects ported, using LZ's deformation will cause your screen to ripple like the water.

You may have to copy and edit an existing deformation to suit your needs

3. In all the instances I've seen, it decompresses to a normal plane map (either plane A or plane B). I'm surprised no one's made a plane viewer and editor yet, it seems to be a pretty easy task to program.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So could I just like copy over all the code for, say, Marble Zone, and just replace GHZ's deformation entirely? Or should I add a subroutine for the title screen so it uses that instead of the GHZ deformation, kind of like how you seperate the title screen graphics from GHZ

EDIT: Well, I guess replacing GHZ deformation code wouldn't make sense because then the GHZ background wouldn't work very well. I suppose creating a new subroutine would make the most sense, however after making that subroutine how could I make the Title screen actually use that code?

5. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Ok, so I'm trying to do something with the "S" monitor. The desired effect after hit would be to have the invincibility and speed shoes stacked. (Think Sonic CD "S" monitor.) I know this isn't as simple as copying the code from the invincibility and speed shoes monitors. (I've tried lol) Can anyone point me in the right direction?

6. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Here, this should do it:
    Code (ASM):
    1. Obj2E_ChkS:
    2.         cmpi.b  #7,d0                    ; does monitor contain &quot;S&quot;
    3.         bne.s   Obj2E_ChkEnd                 ; if not, branch
    4.         move.w  #$4B0,($FFFFD034).w             ; time limit for the power-up
    5.         move.b  #1,($FFFFFE2D).w                   ; make Sonic invincible
    6.         move.w  #$C00,($FFFFF760).w              ; change Sonic&quot;s top speed
    7.         move.w  #$18,($FFFFF762).w
    8.         move.w  #$80,($FFFFF764).w
    9.         move.b  #$38,($FFFFD200).w                ; load stars  object ($3801)
    10.         move.b  #1,($FFFFD21C).w
    11.         move.b  #$38,($FFFFD240).w                ; load stars  object ($3802)
    12.         move.b  #2,($FFFFD25C).w
    13.         move.b  #$38,($FFFFD280).w                ; load stars  object ($3803)
    14.         move.b  #3,($FFFFD29C).w
    15.         move.b  #$38,($FFFFD2C0).w                ; load stars  object ($3804)
    16.         move.b  #4,($FFFFD2DC).w
    17.         tst.b   ($FFFFF7AA).w                 ; is boss mode on?
    18.         bne.s   Obj2E_ChkEnd                  ; if yes, branch
    19.         move.w  #$87,d0
    20.         jmp (PlaySound).l                 ; play invincibility music
    23. Obj2E_ChkEnd:
    24.         rts         ;
    If the rom doesn't build correctly, go to command prompt and see what the problem is. If it says jump distance too big for something such as bra.w or bsr.w, just replace bra.w with jmp and bsr.w with jsr. If any other problems occur, post them here.

Also, if anyone is to use this, the eggman monitor or any other asm thing I post here, I expect you to fully analyze what has happened. This isn't for you just to use, this is for you to learn.

7. Dr. Kylstein

Dr. Kylstein

Where are the DPLCs for Tails's tails in S3 or S3&K?

8. At $344D74 in Sonic 3k, length of $10C bytes. It would be easier for you if you downloaded a text version of Stealth's disassembly from the Disassemblies page, it has all this stuff labelled.

9. Dr. Kylstein

Dr. Kylstein

I looked, but I couldn't find them. Thanks.

10. Use Sonmaped? I'm pretty sure it's there.

11. Hey, I've been meaning to edit the brown and orange tiles in GHZ, but where can I find it in my disassembly so that I can open it up in SonMapED and edit in paint?

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    SonMapEd doesn't work on levels. Try SonED2.

13. Any idea on where a tutorial is for editing tiles in SonED2?

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'll be writing up a guide on how to, be patient.

15. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I am being baffled by a sudden error, I edited the palettes in GHZ using SonED; played the ROM, decided that it need adjusting slightly, altered the palette again, now all emulators refuse to load the ROM, all I get is a red screen. Any suggestions?

16. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Why are you still using SonED? You should use a split disassembly and SonED2 if you want to do serious work.

The problem you're getting is probably caused by the checksum. Fix it by using fixheadr.exe (or fixheader.exe), which comes with the latest split disassemblies.

17. Its usually the checksum. You can download CheckSum check at Hacking Cult > Utilities.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  19. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sorry to bother you all once again. I've come very close to getting the title screen accurate. The title screen now uses SBZ deformation. The bottom and the top scroll perfectly, however I don't know why this happens

[​IMG]

The logo moves with the background. Once I get that "Sonic the Hedgehog" banner thing in place that should be it for now.