don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Ah, so that's why it wasn't working. Well, thanks to you, it is now. I appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Hi all, I hope this is the right place for this, apologies if not.

I’ve recently acquired an Everdrive X5, and I’m interested in homebrew VGM music. There’s a whole scene out there and I’m looking for a way to use the Everdrive to play these files on the console directly. I’ve done some research and there are some sort of players available but I’ve read mixed to negative things about a few as they don’t convert samples or are just poor quality. Some of the stuff I have seen comes pre-loaded with hundreds of game tracks as a package but I’m not interested, I simply want to know how to play individual VGM’s of my choice through the Everdrive. I know this might be a bit picky from someone not technically minded in this field, but if anyone does have any recommendations on this I’d greatly appreciate the help.

3. Cokie

Cokie

C. Okie Member
    Some questions:

Are these two subroutine in the title functionally the same except one is for sonic 1 and the other is for sonic 2?

I know they deal with respawning objects that need to be remembered. Can someone explain the overall function?

Why does ObjectManager_Init ( Part of ObjectManager) look to the left of the camera one chunk two times . Each time looking for objects that are to the left of this position and need to be remembered. Why does it subtract a chunk left of the camera TWICE? It appears the first subtraction of d6 by $80 deals and the following label - deals with objects going right and the second subtracting $80 and proceeding - label deals with objects going to the left… that confused me Left and right of what? Both labels are bls.s branches so how is one checking right of something and one checking left ?

Code (Text):
    1. +
    2.     ; initialize each object load address with the first object in the layout
    3.     move.l    a0,(Obj_load_addr_right).w
    4.     move.l    a0,(Obj_load_addr_left).w
    5.     lea    (Object_Respawn_Table).w,a3
    7.     move.w    (Camera_X_pos).w,d6
    8.     subi.w    #$80,d6    ; look one chunk to the left
    9.     bcc.s    +    ; if the result was negative,
    10.     moveq    #0,d6    ; cap at zero
    11. +    andi.w    #$FF80,d6    ; limit to increments of $80 (width of a chunk)
    13.     movea.l    (Obj_load_addr_right).w,a0    ; get first object in layout
    15. -    ; at the beginning of a level this gives respawn table entries to any object that is one chunk
    16.     ; behind the left edge of the screen that needs to remember its state (Monitors, Badniks, etc.)
    17.     cmp.w    (a0),d6        ; is object's x position >= d6?
    18.     bls.s    +        ; if yes, branch
    19.     addq.w    #6,a0    ; next object
    20.     addq.w    #1,a3    ; respawn index of next object going right
    21.     bra.s    -
    22. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    24. +    move.l    a0,(Obj_load_addr_right).w    ; remember rightmost object that has been processed, so far (we still need to look forward)
    25.     move.w    a3,(Obj_respawn_index_right).w    ; and its respawn table index
    27.     lea    (Object_Respawn_Table).w,a3    ; reset a3
    28.     movea.l    (Obj_load_addr_left).w,a0    ; reset a0
    29.     subi.w    #$80,d6        ; look even farther left (any object behind this is out of range)
    30.     bcs.s    +        ; branch, if camera position would be behind level's left boundary
    32. -    ; count how many objects are behind the screen that are not in range and need to remember their state
    33.     cmp.w    (a0),d6        ; is object's x position >= d6?
    34.     bls.s    +        ; if yes, branch
    35.     addq.w    #6,a0
    36.     addq.w    #1,a3    ; respawn index of next object going left
    37.     bra.s    -    ; continue with next object
    38. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  4. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    There's a couple of things you need to know before the game's object spawning makes sense. We've got our data structure that we're iterating over, the object layout; we've got the respawn table and the indexes/address into its entries to maintain; and we need to know which objects to spawn at a given time. Let's start with the last one.

As you move through the level, the objects manager spawns objects that are within a certain distance to the screen, horizontally. Let's call this the spawn area. Relative to the current camera position, snapped to chunk coordinates (that's why we and the camera position with $FF80), the spawn area stretches from one chunk to the left of the camera's position to five chunks to its right. With this, the visible play area is surrounded by a spawn area roughly twice its width. The camera's y-position is completely irrelevant, which makes the spawn area infinitely tall.

Next, let's look at the object layout. It is a one-dimensional sequence of object definitions, sorted by x-position. That last part is important. The spawn area is a horizontal range that represents the part of the level that we could consider active. In other words, this is the part of the level where we want to have objects spawned. Think of it as a window into the object layout. Every object whose x-position is between the left and right edges of the spawn area need to be spawned. Sorting the objects along the x-axis allows us to scan the object layout until we've found the objects closest to the spawn area's left and right edges. That's what the loops with the bls exit conditions do. Obj_load_addr_left and Obj_load_addr_right are pointers to the objects that we found by doing this. Note that the left object address is inclusive, while the right one is exclusive. That means the object pointed to by Obj_load_addr_left points to the first object that is inside the spawn area, while Obj_load_addr_right points to the first object that's beyond the spawn area.

Now, every time the spawn area moves by at least one chunk width, we use those left or right object pointers to determine which objects to spawn. Assuming we moved right, that means we'll calculate the new right edge of the spawn area, and start iterating through the object layout starting at the right object pointer, and spawn everything that's within the spawn area's new position. After we're done, the right object pointer will again be on the first object beyond the spawn area. We then need to adjust the left object pointer iteratively, until it's pointing to the first object that's inside the new spawn area. Going left it's basically the same thing, except in the opposite direction. What I've explained here isn't shown in your code snippet, but it's important in understanding what the Init routine is doing.

See, the Init routine is doing some prep-work, setting up the object pointers and last frame's camera position (Camera_X_pos_last) so that Main will then spawn everything inside the spawn area all at once. It sets up the right address to point the first object on the left that needs to be spawned, and the left address to something before that. It also sets Camera_X_pos_last to -1 (not shown in the code above) so that it will always look like the spawn area moved right. This means it will start with the right object pointer, which is currently pointing the the leftmost object inside the spawn area, and spawn objects until it goes past the spawn area's right edge. Meanwhile, the left object pointer gets adjusted to where it actually belongs.

And there you have it. Obj_load_addr_left and Obj_load_addr_right are pointers that represent the objects on the left and right edges of the spawn area, or where to start spawning from once the camera moves far enough. Every time the spawn area moves, new objects are spawned and the pointers moved until they are on the edges of the spawn area again.

I'm going to skip the respawn table and index/address for now since this has gone on long enough. If you've understood everything else I've explained here, then figuring out how that part works should be easy. Hope this helps.

5. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Hi everybody! I have the question:
    How i can insert/port Sonic 2 SW beta music to Sonic 2 final? I need to port sound driver, or something? Thanks in advance :)

6. Cokie

Cokie

C. Okie Member
  7. I've been experimenting around with the idea of an 'Original Mode' patch for The Return of Dr. Eggman that essentially makes the game near-identical to vanilla Sonic 2 (but containing the bug fixes and improvements from TRoDE), and I want feedback on whether I should go ahead with it.

Below is a .zip file containing the ROM; ThumbsUp for 'yes' and Wrench for 'no'.

Attached Files:

8. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    So.... I port the Sonic 2 Clone Driver, but now- music plays without FM-channels and DAC samples. Only PSG. Has anyone ever had this? Can anyone help me? File at bottom- example for music at this moment

Attached Files:

9. Cokie

Cokie

C. Okie Member
    I am often looking as the assembly code for Genesis Sonic games in an
    emulator. I'm looking for a way to bring back the lost symbols
    labels, expanded macros, etc during the assembly process. I can
    think of several possible ways. I will simplify it and focus on
    just he ASW assembler used for the Sonic3k Github and The Sonic 2 Dissasembly.

Is there Emulators that can map things using the list file? Exodus? Is there extensions
    for emualtors that allow this. Could Ghidra let you use a list file to generate something
    that lets you active assembly and the labels?

If above is impossible ( viewing live assembly with labels ), alternatively, could I just trace the part of code I am interested in.
    And then use a tool ( does it exist ) that uses the list and trace file to put the list files line of code beneath each raw trace line?
    For Example if your trace file was

1B5A0 70 00 MOVEQ #$00,D0
    1B5A2 10 38 MOVE.B ($F76C),D0
    1B5A6 4E FB JMP $02(PC,D0)

It would use the trace file and list file to generate:

1B5A0 70 00 MOVEQ #$00,D0

36773/ 1B5A0 :
    36774/ 1B5A0 : ; =============== S U B R O U T I N E =======================================
    36775/ 1B5A0 :
    36776/ 1B5A0 :
    36777/ 1B5A0 : Load_Sprites:
    36778/ 1B5A0 : 7000 moveq #0,d0

1B5A2 10 38 MOVE.B ($F76C),D0

36779/ 1B5A2 : 1038 F76C move.b (Object_load_routine).w,d0

1B5A6 4E FB JMP $02(PC,D0)

36780/ 1B5A6 : 4EFB 0002 jmp loc_1B69A(pc,d0.w)

Is there other methods? I know MDStudio.

10. Halved

Halved

What Member
    I need some help, how can I remove the 2P mode from the GitHub disassembly of Sonic 2? The only modification I did so far is to add the S3K rings manager.

11. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo

Be a boss-man and come to my big and tall man shop Member
    Quick question: I've noticed a strange bug where the camera gets delayed when going too fast in Sonic 1.
    ASIA (14).001.png
    ASIA (14).002.png
    Now I'm aware it's possible to fix it by setting the lower y-boundary x-axis in the resize subroutines but I've had little to no luck in getting them fixed after inserting that code. Does anyone know what occurs? If I do sound a bit blunt and you want me to provide some code, please let me know.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The camera in Sonic games scroll slower vertically when you're on ground (probably to make the camera smoother during loops and such), I don't have the code on hand but it sounds like you want to increase that speed (or remove the on-ground check entirely).

13. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo

Be a boss-man and come to my big and tall man shop Member
    I managed to fix the bug myself upon further inspection. Unfortunately, since I shifted SSTs to port the S3K object manager, I forgot to change FFFFD014 to FFFFD020. This is the player's RAM plus the inertia after the shift.

14. Halved

Halved

What Member
    Hello, my code isn't compiling. I added a advanced error handler and ported the S3 sound driver. What did I do wrong? I did everything as said in the page.

The s2.log file is below.

Code (Text):
    1. // LDebugger is from https://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/advanced-error-handler-and-debugger.4442/#post-78456
    3. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(24): warning: address is not properly aligned
    4. > > >                 move.w  sr, -(sp)
    5. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(25) __FSTRING_GenerateArgumentsCode(60) WHILE 1/32__FSTRING_PushArgument(51): warning: address is not properly aligned
    6. > > >                 move.w  {__operand},-(sp)
    7. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(25) __FSTRING_GenerateArgumentsCode(60) WHILE 2/32__FSTRING_PushArgument(51): warning: address is not properly aligned
    8. > > >                 move.w  {__operand},-(sp)
    9. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(26): warning: address is not properly aligned
    10. > > >                 movem.l a0-a2/d7, -(sp)
    11. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(27): warning: address is not properly aligned
    12. > > >                 lea             4*4(sp), a2
    13. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(28): warning: address is not properly aligned
    14. > > >                 lea             __data(pc), a1
    15. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(29): warning: address is not properly aligned
    16. > > >                 jsr             ErrorHandler___global__console_writeline_formatted
    17. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(30): warning: address is not properly aligned
    18. > > >                 movem.l (sp)+, a0-a2/d7
    19. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(34): warning: address is not properly aligned
    20. > > >                         addq.w  #__sp, sp
    21. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(36): warning: address is not properly aligned
    22. > > >                 move.w  (sp)+, sr
    23. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(37): warning: address is not properly aligned
    24. > > >                 bra.w   __leave
    25. > > > s2.asm(799):1: error: symbol undefined
    26. > > > sndDriverInput
    27. > > >  jsr (sndDriverInput).l
    28. > > >
    29. > > > s2.asm(11278):8: error: symbol undefined
    30. > > > Pal_FadeTo
    31. > > >  bsr.w Pal_FadeTo
    32. > > >        ~~~~~~~~~~
    33. > > > s2.asm(12063):1: error: symbol undefined
    34. > > > Night_mode_flag
    35. > > >  lea (Night_mode_flag).l,a1
    36. > > >
    37. > > > s2.asm(85864) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    38. > > > ArtNem_Waterfall
    39. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_Waterfall
    40. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    41. > > > s2.asm(85865) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    42. > > > ArtNem_EHZ_Bridge
    43. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_EHZ_Bridge
    44. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    45. > > > s2.asm(85866) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    46. > > > ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    47. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    48. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    49. > > > s2.asm(85914) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    50. > > > ArtNem_MtzWheel
    51. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzWheel
    52. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    53. > > > s2.asm(85915) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    54. > > > ArtNem_MtzWheelIndent
    55. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzWheelIndent
    56. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    57. > > > s2.asm(85916) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    58. > > > ArtNem_LavaCup
    59. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_LavaCup
    60. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    61. > > > s2.asm(85917) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    62. > > > ArtNem_BoltEnd_Rope
    63. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_BoltEnd_Rope
    64. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    65. > > > s2.asm(85918) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    66. > > > ArtNem_MtzSteam
    67. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSteam
    68. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    69. > > > s2.asm(85919) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    70. > > > ArtNem_MtzSpikeBlock
    71. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSpikeBlock
    72. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    73. > > > s2.asm(85920) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    74. > > > ArtNem_MtzSpike
    75. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSpike
    76. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    77. > > > s2.asm(85934) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    78. > > > ArtNem_MtzAsstBlocks
    79. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzAsstBlocks
    80. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    81. > > > s2.asm(85935) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    82. > > > ArtNem_MtzLavaBubble
    83. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzLavaBubble
    84. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    85. > > > s2.asm(85936) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    86. > > > ArtNem_MtzCog
    87. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzCog
    88. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    89. > > > s2.asm(85937) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    90. > > > ArtNem_MtzSpinTubeFlash
    91. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSpinTubeFlash
    92. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    93. > > > s2.asm(85981) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    94. > > > ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    95. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    96. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    97. > > > s2.asm(85982) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    98. > > > ArtNem_HtzRock
    99. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzRock
    100. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    101. > > > s2.asm(85983) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    102. > > > ArtNem_HtzSeeSaw
    103. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzSeeSaw
    104. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    105. > > > s2.asm(85984) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    106. > > > ArtNem_Sol
    107. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_Sol
    108. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~
    109. > > > s2.asm(85997) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    110. > > > ArtNem_HtzZipline
    111. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzZipline
    112. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    113. > > > s2.asm(85998) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    114. > > > ArtNem_HtzFireball2
    115. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzFireball2
    116. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    117. > > > s2.asm(85999) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    118. > > > ArtNem_HtzValveBarrier
    119. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzValveBarrier
    120. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    121. > > > s2.asm(86052) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    122. > > > ArtNem_Crate
    123. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_Crate
    124. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    125. > > > s2.asm(86053) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    126. > > > ArtNem_MCZCollapsePlat
    127. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MCZCollapsePlat
    128. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    129. > > > s2.asm(86054) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    130. > > > ArtNem_VineSwitch
    131. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_VineSwitch
    132. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    133. > > > s2.asm(86055) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    134. > > > ArtNem_VinePulley
    135. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_VinePulley
    136. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    137. > > > s2.asm(86066) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    138. > > > ArtNem_MCZGateLog
    139. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MCZGateLog
    140. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    141. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(24): warning: address is not properly aligned
    142. > > >                 move.w  sr, -(sp)
    143. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(25) __FSTRING_GenerateArgumentsCode(60) WHILE 1/32__FSTRING_PushArgument(51): warning: address is not properly aligned
    144. > > >                 move.w  {__operand},-(sp)
    145. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(25) __FSTRING_GenerateArgumentsCode(60) WHILE 2/32__FSTRING_PushArgument(51): warning: address is not properly aligned
    146. > > >                 move.w  {__operand},-(sp)
    147. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(26): warning: address is not properly aligned
    148. > > >                 movem.l a0-a2/d7, -(sp)
    149. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(27): warning: address is not properly aligned
    150. > > >                 lea             4*4(sp), a2
    151. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(28): warning: address is not properly aligned
    152. > > >                 lea             __data(pc), a1
    153. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(29): warning: address is not properly aligned
    154. > > >                 jsr             ErrorHandler___global__console_writeline_formatted
    155. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(30): warning: address is not properly aligned
    156. > > >                 movem.l (sp)+, a0-a2/d7
    157. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(34): warning: address is not properly aligned
    158. > > >                         addq.w  #__sp, sp
    159. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(36): warning: address is not properly aligned
    160. > > >                 move.w  (sp)+, sr
    161. > > > LDebugger.asm(2) Console(37): warning: address is not properly aligned
    162. > > >                 bra.w   __leave
    163. > > > s2.asm(90083):66: error: symbol undefined
    164. > > > movewZ80CompSize
    165. > > >  shared word_728C_user,Obj5F_MapUnc_7240,off_3A294,MapRUnc_Sonic,movewZ80CompSize
    166. > > >                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Code (Text):
    1. warning: address is not properly aligned
    I think the advanced error handler is included in the ROM right after the Sonic 3 sound driver stuff.

Put this line in right before the include of the error handler:
    Code (Text):
    1.         even
    The 68k cannot process instructions (or any data) that are on an odd address. Normally instructions are always aligned to even addresses, and the instructions themselves are a multiple of 2 bytes in size, ensuring all instructions one after another always start on an even address.

However, I assume installing the Sonic 3 sound driver either has a load of binary includes or dc.b's and they are ending on an odd address, and so the instructions of the debugger are starting on an odd address. The "even" directive will insert an extra byte if the address is odd, forcing the instructions to an even address for you, and resolving both the warning message and the potential address error of the CPU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Halved

Halved

What Member
    Thanks @MarkeyJester ! I did what you said and now there are only the symbol undefined errors. How can I fix those? I think while installing the sound driver, some art data got left or something? I don't know how to fix it though, I'm really new to ASM stuff.
    Here's the s2.log now:
    Code (Text):
    1. > > > s2.asm(799):1: error: symbol undefined
    2. > > > sndDriverInput
    3. > > >  jsr (sndDriverInput).l
    4. > > >
    5. > > > s2.asm(11278):8: error: symbol undefined
    6. > > > Pal_FadeTo
    7. > > >  bsr.w Pal_FadeTo
    8. > > >        ~~~~~~~~~~
    9. > > > s2.asm(12063):1: error: symbol undefined
    10. > > > Night_mode_flag
    11. > > >  lea (Night_mode_flag).l,a1
    12. > > >
    13. > > > s2.asm(85864) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    14. > > > ArtNem_Waterfall
    15. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_Waterfall
    16. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    17. > > > s2.asm(85865) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    18. > > > ArtNem_EHZ_Bridge
    19. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_EHZ_Bridge
    20. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    21. > > > s2.asm(85866) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    22. > > > ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    23. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    24. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    25. > > > s2.asm(85914) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    26. > > > ArtNem_MtzWheel
    27. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzWheel
    28. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    29. > > > s2.asm(85915) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    30. > > > ArtNem_MtzWheelIndent
    31. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzWheelIndent
    32. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    33. > > > s2.asm(85916) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    34. > > > ArtNem_LavaCup
    35. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_LavaCup
    36. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    37. > > > s2.asm(85917) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    38. > > > ArtNem_BoltEnd_Rope
    39. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_BoltEnd_Rope
    40. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    41. > > > s2.asm(85918) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    42. > > > ArtNem_MtzSteam
    43. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSteam
    44. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    45. > > > s2.asm(85919) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    46. > > > ArtNem_MtzSpikeBlock
    47. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSpikeBlock
    48. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    49. > > > s2.asm(85920) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    50. > > > ArtNem_MtzSpike
    51. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSpike
    52. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    53. > > > s2.asm(85934) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    54. > > > ArtNem_MtzAsstBlocks
    55. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzAsstBlocks
    56. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    57. > > > s2.asm(85935) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    58. > > > ArtNem_MtzLavaBubble
    59. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzLavaBubble
    60. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    61. > > > s2.asm(85936) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    62. > > > ArtNem_MtzCog
    63. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzCog
    64. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    65. > > > s2.asm(85937) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    66. > > > ArtNem_MtzSpinTubeFlash
    67. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MtzSpinTubeFlash
    68. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    69. > > > s2.asm(85981) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    70. > > > ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    71. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzFireball1
    72. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    73. > > > s2.asm(85982) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    74. > > > ArtNem_HtzRock
    75. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzRock
    76. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    77. > > > s2.asm(85983) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    78. > > > ArtNem_HtzSeeSaw
    79. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzSeeSaw
    80. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    81. > > > s2.asm(85984) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    82. > > > ArtNem_Sol
    83. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_Sol
    84. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~
    85. > > > s2.asm(85997) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    86. > > > ArtNem_HtzZipline
    87. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzZipline
    88. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    89. > > > s2.asm(85998) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    90. > > > ArtNem_HtzFireball2
    91. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzFireball2
    92. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    93. > > > s2.asm(85999) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    94. > > > ArtNem_HtzValveBarrier
    95. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_HtzValveBarrier
    96. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    97. > > > s2.asm(86052) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    98. > > > ArtNem_Crate
    99. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_Crate
    100. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    101. > > > s2.asm(86053) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    102. > > > ArtNem_MCZCollapsePlat
    103. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MCZCollapsePlat
    104. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    105. > > > s2.asm(86054) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    106. > > > ArtNem_VineSwitch
    107. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_VineSwitch
    108. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    109. > > > s2.asm(86055) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    110. > > > ArtNem_VinePulley
    111. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_VinePulley
    112. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    113. > > > s2.asm(86066) plreq(1):17: error: symbol undefined
    114. > > > ArtNem_MCZGateLog
    115. > > >         dc.l    ArtNem_MCZGateLog
    116. > > >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    117. > > > s2.asm(90083):66: error: symbol undefined
    118. > > > movewZ80CompSize
    119. > > >  shared word_728C_user,Obj5F_MapUnc_7240,off_3A294,MapRUnc_Sonic,movewZ80CompSize
    120. > > >                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'll also link the S2.asm, just in case. https://www.mediafire.com/file/dz4tvoib7078zwl/s2.asm/file

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    According to the SCHG I believe you've been following, the guide says you need to remove all calls/references to "sndDriverInput", and included a list of labels to go to:
    • VintSub0
    • Loc_54A
    • Vint0_noWater (only touch the " bsr.w sndDriverInput ; give input to the sound driver" line)
    • loc_748 (only touch the " bsr.w sndDriverInput ; give input to the sound driver" line)
    • Vint10_specialStage (only touch the " jsr (sndDriverInput).l)
    • loc_92A+++++ (only touch the " jsr (sndDriverInput).l) - - - - - - - - - - - - THIS ONE HERE
    • loc_BD6 (only touch the " jsr (sndDriverInput).l)
    • VintSub18 (only touch the " bsr.w sndDriverInput)
    • VintSub16 (only touch the " bsr.w sndDriverInput)
    • Loc_EFE (only touch the " bsr.w sndDriverInput)
    It looks like you've missed one, according to your s2.log, it's on line 799, remove it.

The Pal_FadeTo is a very old label, if you try to search it in the source code you'll find:

Code (Text):
    1. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. ; Subroutine to fade in from black
    3. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5. ; ||||||||||||||| S U B R O U T I N E |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    7. ; sub_23C6: Pal_FadeTo:
    8. Pal_FadeFromBlack:
    The labels "sub_23C6" and "Pal_FadeTo" have been commented out with ";", these are the old labels for this subroutine. The actual label name is "Pal_FadeFromBlack". Change "Pal_FadeTo" to "Pal_FadeFromBlack" on the instruction "bsr.w Pal_FadeTo".

The Night_mode_flag again I would assume is an old label, the newer label will be called something different now.... ...it seems to me the SCHG guide you're using is also using older labels, so it's not compatible with the disassembly you're using. You're going to have to look up what all of the old labels are and swap them.

As for the art labels, it seems you've deleted all of the includes for all of the art files, I don't quite know how that's happened, either you've accidentally done it by mistake, or (most likely) the guide is outdated enough.

18. Halved

Halved

What Member
    Thank you so much! I'll do the things you said, thanks for helping!

19. Halved

Halved

What Member
    @MarkeyJester Also, yep, it was the SCHG.
    Code (Text):
    1. +
    2.     move.w    d0,(Sound_test_sound).w
    3.     andi.w    #button_B_mask|button_C_mask,d1
    4.     beq.s    +    ; rts
    5.     move.w    (Sound_test_sound).w,d0
    6.     ;addi.w    #$80,d0         ;<-- remove this line
    7.     bsr.w    JmpTo_PlayMusic
    8.     lea    (debug_cheat).l,a0
    9.     lea    (super_sonic_cheat).l,a2
    10.     lea    (Night_mode_flag).w,a1 <-------- there it is
    11.     moveq    #1,d2    ; flag to tell the routine to enable the Super Sonic cheat
    12.     bsr.w    CheckCheats
    14. +
    I sometimes see things like "Fixed by x" after the "Guide by x". How do people edit the pages?
    I am sorry for the ping by the way...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    You're welcome.

Information about editing the wiki can be found here, you'll have to carefully read through though and make sure you know the rules, etiquette, etc...