don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. xcliber

xcliber

I just started my first project (starting off with a simple sprite hack) and am trying to use Sonik Sprite to do so. So far its going ok but I'm having a problem with the grey parts of the sprites cutting the top of the players head off. I've looked all over for guides on using Sonik Sprite with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    <!--quoteo(post=233649:date=Oct 10 2008, 10:10 AM:name=roxahris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (roxahris @ Oct 10 2008, 10:10 AM) [​IMG]</div>
    I've got SonED2 to save the background... but now it's overwriting objects. I've tried cleaning up the EHZ tiles and chunks, but in the process I deleted the stuff the the animated tiles; the flowers, and those glowing things. You can see that they're loading into the clouds, which isn't very good. I'll probably reimport the background, but is there any way to stop it overwriting enemies? And how do I fix the deformation?
    For those who want to take a closer look,
    here's the hack.[/quote]
    Also you're using Sonic's pallete colours or something, since playing as "Niggles" fucks up shit:
    [​IMG]
    Also, if you want to change the deformation, go to JmpTbl_SwScrlMgr. If you just want the background to remain still, use SCZ's. I tested it out in EHZ & it's fine.

3. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Although Sonik Sprite is good if you're doing just small basic changes to the sprite, I'd say SonMapEd is the better option. There's a guide that makes it easy to understand, plus it's REALLY useful. I've used it in my hack Sawnik to replace all the sprites, and even add new ones with no problems at all.

4. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Deformation isn't the main priority... it's the fact that enemies are broken ;)
    Problem fixed, via removal of corkscrew loops.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I've ported the Sonic 1 SEGA Screen from the S2NA disassembly, it does work (although a bit glitchy fixed now) however my problem is that attempting to go into the Level Select will bring a Red Screen of Death.
    If you want to see the thing, have a rom, here.

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    SOTI's problem was fixed. He forgot to EVEN the art and mappings.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    No, the problem still exists (Red Screen of Death when accessing Level Select), try going to 2 PLAYER VS, which usually goes to the Level Select, the usual way also RSOD's.

8. Have you modified GameModesArray in any way? If so, could you post the new GameModesArray?

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Code (ASM):
    2. GameModesArray: ;;
    3.     bra.w   SegaScreen      ; $00 SEGA screen mode
    4.     bra.w   TitleScreen     ; $04 Title screen mode
    5.     bra.w   Level           ; $08 Demo mode
    6.     bra.w   Level           ; $0C Zone play mode
    7.     bra.w   SpecialStage        ; $10 Special stage play mode
    8.     bra.w   ContinueScreen      ; $14 Continue mode
    9.     jmp     TwoPlayerResults    ; $18 2P results mode
    10.     bra.w   LevelSelectMenu2P   ; $1C 2P level select mode
    11.     bra.w   JmpTo_EndingSequence    ; $20 End sequence mode
    12.     bra.w   OptionsMenu     ; $24 Options mode
    13.     bra.w   LevelSelectMenu     ; $28 Level select mode
    I've fixed it now, this guide had a fix for it & it works, problem solved. GameModesArray obviously doesn't like jumps.

10. Yeah, because GameModesArray is coded in such a way that it only works properly with bra.w instructions. The other alternative is converting it to dc.l form, which also eliminates the need for routines which jmp to a certain game mode.

11. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    OK I'm a total nub at this, so apologies. I've just finished a layout in CPZ on Sonic 2, and I've moved the end level sign to the new area where my new layout ends. Whenever I approach this sign, the sign is a weird glitch thing, with spike sprites and such, and passing it sends me back to where the end was, getting Sonic stuck in a wall.

[​IMG]

What've I overlooked here and how do I fix it? Is there a pointer in hex I need to change?

I'm using ESE II by the way.

12. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    You have to edit the level size in the ROM in hex, since the sign is only designed to load when you get to within a certain distance of the level's edge.

Also I'm sure you've heard this 1,000 times, but if you're looking to extend levels all said and done, try moving things to a split disassembly so that you have more room in the ROM to add objects to the level.

13. How about not using ese? Especially with a sonic 2 rom, jeez, why do people jump to the 'easiest' and stick with it, then end up with their rom raped.

14. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Because I have to learn somewhere, I've only just started hacking. I'm going from the very basic and working my way up =P

15. Using ESE is a step on the wrong foot so to speak :V. The SonED 2 guides were made for a reason.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Using ESE is perfectly fine if you're just starting out, especially if you don't use it in conjunction with any other programs. He can transfer everything he edited into a disassembly easily enough once he gets the hang of things. I haven't seen this kind of mindless ESE bashing since 2004, though—there's a lot more factors involved than just "lol ESE sucks."

For the record, ESE has absolutely nothing to do with his problem. The problem in this case is that he needs to correctly set the level boundaries, which is documented in the Nemesis hacking guides. SCHG:Nem s2 should have the information you're looking for.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    In any case I would use both ESE and ESEII, as some features are available only in one of the two versions. That said, from own experience, they normally do not scramble level data. I think that only happened once to me, in fact...

EDIT: why does this remind me to the "don't use C++, use C# and Phyton" posts in GameDev.net? =P

18. Well, ESE DOES move things around, why not use Esreal's new program? It's kinda like ESE 3, no? :V

19. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Not really. It only edits levels. Unfortunately, it lacks a few things...

20. PordyPates

PordyPates

I've got a question. How do I change the music in Sonic 1? Y'know, like put S2 etc. music in it? Unless, that'd be too hard for me, I'm a total nub.