don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Previous question not nessacary, this one's a little more hacking related.

In Sonic 2, where are the (sprite) mappings for the text on the Title Screen? I'm planning on scrapping the 2P mode and replacing the option with something else in the future.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  3. I'm trying to edit a current object's art and mappings, but all it does is freeze. Do the S2 mappings have a size limit? How can I increase the size?

4. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Maybe there's something wrong with the compression format?

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

In Sonic 2 when performing certain animations 1 player's character's sprites sometimes clash with Tails' (eg. tiles of Tails appear in 1 player and vise versa). My guess is the memory the first player uses need to be expanded or something, any idea what to do?

This usually happens to me. You have to be careful to save in the same compression format the file was in before other wise it won't load and freeze the game. Artunc is uncompressed, Artnem is Nemesis compressed. Forgot what the other ones were as I've rarely had to edit outside those folders.

6. It's not the save format, nor the object code. I've double and triple checked everything.

7. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    That's weird. Did you add the object to the object pointer table? What about PLCs? I had issues with the first PLC for a zone being bigger than $B, so I moved other stuff in the secondary PLC.

8. Zone PLCs have not been touched, and it's an edit of another currently existing object—I was going to edit the art before I started editing the object. All I did was make the art have 7 8x8s instead of 4, and the mappings MUCH larger (re-using tiles)

It's for a speed booster that I want to impliment. Its size is about 4 16x16s horizontally and 2.5 16x16s vertically.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I've had a similar issue, although I didn't edit Sonic's art at all. After the bincludes for level layouts, ring placement and objects, add align $1000. You could possibly do the same for the level art.

Not sure whether or not this will help, but I've had no issues in my hack so far.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sort of an additional query to my previous spring code, I've tried adding another move branch on the top of the routine (a mid air related animation this time if that makes a difference). It activates however the spring only activates a small bounce (if you continue bouncing on the spring it continues the tiny bounces until you land on the ground). I've tried both animation branches as well as flag related ones, any idea what's wrong?

11. Was that at me? What would that do? @_@

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yes it was directed at you. It might get rid of that garbled mess.

13. I think I know who the anon user is :colbert:!

I'll try that now. Standby. Although I don't see how that would fix it. I'll add that right after the mappings include.

Edit 2: Got it, thanks to MarkeyJester! :>

14. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Ideally, the engine would be 2D, but the behind-the back segments would be made of 2D images as well, kinda like Sonic 2's special stages. As for coding, I've never touched a string of code in my life.

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
  16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I saved the WAV versions back then, but not the RAW dumps. You can't directly use them in your hack, but it's not that hard to find out how to handle the conversion. I can mirror them here for a while.

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I just need them for FLStudios. Thinking about learning music composing.=E
    But thanks anyway!

Edit: These appear to be DAC samples, are the ALL instruments used? If not, how can rip all the samples from Sonic 3/Sonic Knuckles?
    Okay. I got the Sonic1 Diassemly, but how to convert/decompressed the .bins in the sound folder to Wav?

18. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]

Ok I give. How DO you get rid of this? It pops up every time the screen appears a second time.

Also hurt monitors. I would like to know how to correctly do them. The closest I got was adding HurtSonic, however it makes it fling rings out of the monitor instead of Sonic.

19. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    HurtSonic sounds like a good option. You just need to set up some variables the way the routine expects them to be (the function's arguments, if you prefer). The object with address stored in a0 is the one that's being hurt, and a2 is the one that's doing the hurting. If you're calling a subroutine from within an object, a0 will usually refer to the object, which is why it's the monitor that's being "hurt" in this instance. You'll need to store a0 somewhere else, put Sonic's address ($FFFFD000) into it, jump to the HurtSonic routine, then put a0 back when you're done. Check out the spikes' behaviour in Obj36_Hurt for an example of this.

An alternative to HurtSonic is Touch_ChkHurt, just above it. This adds an extra check for Sonic's invulnerability (flashing after being hurt) beforehand, which you can use to avoid spike bug-style behaviour. It also moves a1 to a2, because a lot of objects tend to store Sonic's address in a1.

20. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    This is a little odd question, but regarding GameGear music, is there a way to do something to that to make one part of the music not play? Like, if there's foreground music, is there a way to only hear backfround musics? Like mixing channels on a .MIDI file?