don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    yeah, I always double check about the the tiles, maps and plc's. The animation it's kinda acting like it should, except that...it just only shows a frame instead of 4. And that only frame is a garbled one. Maybe I didn't program it correctly...what I did was writting this in _anim sonic.asm:

Code (Text):
    1. SonAni_Jumpland:     dc.b $5E, $5F, $60, $61, 0
    I tried adding $FE and $FE, 0 later, but none of them worked. Maybe I did something wrong.

PS: for mapping the sprites, since I used all the extra tiles that the spindash guide included, I had to make new ones by following the SonMapED tutorial. I dunno if that's a problem as well since I don't have any other method of adding new tiles like the ones of the spindash tutorial

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    SonAni_Jumpland: dc.b $(insert animation speed here), $5E, $5F, $60, $61, $FF

3. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    ouch X_x and I have no idea which animation speed should be...

4. nineko

nineko

italy
    Try an intermediate value such as $10. If it's too fast, raise it; if it's too slow, decrease it. $0 is the fastest speed possible, meaning that each frame of animation is played on each actual frame (60 frames per second), so you probably don't want that.

5. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    kinda works, but...garbled sprites :( and I double saved all the tiles, mappings and PLC's. I dunno what to do about that...

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Did you add a note at the top of the anim file like for the other animations?

Code (ASM):
    1.         dc.w SonAni_JumpLand-SonicAniData      

7. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    yes I did, I added it after the spindash one

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hmm, my only other guess is that you may have made a typo (which happened to me a few odd times). Here's what I have for my land code now for example. Did you put a wrong comma or anything in the code?

Code (ASM):
    1. SonAni_JumpLand:    dc.b 3, $6A, $6B, $6C, $FE, 1

9. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    Not at all, I just copy pasted what you wrote and changed the $21 for $20 since that was my assigned animation. I'm starting to think it's problem of SonMapEd...that program hates me so much.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    What programs could I find to rip textures from Sonic Adventure 2/2B.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The textures are in prs files, which contain pvm files, which contain the textures. You can find a prs decompressor here, and for the pvm files you can use Puyo Tools' archive extractor, which can automatically convert the textures to png files.

12. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    just wanted to say, I fixed the problem of the garbled sprites :) I had to delete all unmapped tiles and now I see my character jumping. Thanks! :D now I just have to figure how to make custom abilities such a walljump and a tailspin like the one of Tails from Sonic Advance :P if someone could tutor me on how to get started on this will be much appreciated :) if not, it's ok, I'm happy that at least she can jump that way

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    Just a few days ago a new guide about adding new moves was posted here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=21669.
    It might not be the best though, especially because it targets the highly counterintuitive SVN disassembly instead of the 2005 disassembly you're using.

14. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    oh yeah I had a look at it. Well, thank you anyways for everything

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

If you figure out how to make a wall jump code that would be useful to me as well. :D

As for the tailspin, do you mean like a flying move, ground attack, or a little mid air dash like in the later Advance titles? If it's one of the latter two I can help you with the basic programming and then you can just put your animation over it. Kinda surprised a 'Tails flying move' tutorial hasn't been made actually, would be a nice Sonic 2 equivelant to the spin dash tutorial for Sonic 1 (plus would teach character specific programming).

Okay, Sonic 2 ending queries here:

* Does anyone know how to get the mappings and tiles for Sonic's ending animation to load properly on MapEd? If not will an alt program like PlaneEd or something work for editing the mappings?

* Does anyone know which bit of coding to edit so Sonic's normal 'non-Super' ending always plays even when you collect all the emeralds?

16. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    the latter two will be like awesome if you can help me with them :) and I'm still trying to figuring the wall jump. The only thing that comes to mind right now is porting Knuckles's wall climbing or something like that...but I don't know ASM that well so I dunno.

And in regarding about Sonic 2 ending sprites, have you tried with PlaneED? I heard it's for that kind of stuff but I'm not sure since I haven't try it yet

17. nineko

nineko

italy
    Well, I never hacked Sonic 2, but the number of collected emeralds is stored into ram location $FFFFFFB1, therefore you should find out if that RAM address is cmpi'd with 7 in the ending code, and either remove the cmpi or rewrite the branch accordingly.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay for a mid air dash, I will direct you to Selbi's jump dash tutorial, simply add an activation line for whatever animation you want in the code (probably near where the sound is activated is best):

http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=972

As for a ground attack I can help with that as well, however you will also need to edit which controls you use to activate it, eg. make the attack activate with A and then edit the jumps coding to only work with B or C.

You will also need to add branches in the Touch_Enemy/Monitor coding if you want your animation to attack enemies and boxes.

19. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    ahh uhm... ._. sorry, that's...kinda moonspeak for me right now XDD I have no idea how to do that stuff, the activation lines and stuff ^^; as I said before, I don't know ASM that well...all my experience was copy pasting from other parts and I don't understand the tutorials, I'm sorry :(

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Selbi's tutorial isn't too hard to figure out and has the coding you need displayed ready to 'copy and paste' (though it helps if you understand what it says). You just need to add a line recognising your animation in the coding like you did for your landing one, eg:

Code (ASM):
    1. move.b    #2,$1C(a0); use "jumping"    animation
    If you don't place it then the worst that will happen is likely the animation won't change while the move is activated and the character will just use normal jumping animation.