don't click here

Banper's amazing school of facts!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well you seem to have hit a goldmine here ICEKnight, well done ^^
    I'm still not sure if I'm confortable going on just one side of the Desert Zone arguement... I know it's silly but it doesn't feel right.

EDIT: Intresting how Desert Zone is the only zone name in japanese.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Actually, 'Chemical Factory' is in Japanese too, it just has the English pencilled in above it.

Interesting observation about that name, by the way, LOst.

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Yea, and here is the best things found so far that makes it interesting:
    1. Mappings were down on paper and pre-calculated. Not by a tool like LOst Library.
    2. Hill Top and Chemical Factory were the very first levels. Which includes Green Hill and the desert zone which most likely were renamed to Dust Hill. (most likely!)
    3. Time travel were planned. At least in the Desert Zone (which means palette modifications like Brenda said).
    4. The bridges were supposed to be in Hill Top and the fire that burns in the grass were probably going to set fire on the bridges. The bridges destroy routine was probably used in Hidden Palace to change the path to lead you to the green stone. It never got developed that far I guess.
    5. Chemical Factory was too big to fit the Genesis sprite X offset. Neo Green Hill was large but did fit. Maybe because of small bugs you can see in Sonic 2 Delta made them change the zone name to Aquatic Ruin.

4. Is it me or it still undefined if we're talking about Mystic Cave and its old name or the deleted level and its reminiscent named slot?

Anyway, you're doing an excelent work ICEknight. Congratulations!

(I'm so sad no one else speaks portuguese here, so I can talk about it ;))

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Very Interesting indeed. Rock Zone = past of Desert zone, plus that frog enemy definately interests me...

Damn ICEknight, you hit the jackpot! 2005 is our year, no doubt.

To add to the name "Chemical Factory", I believe the name was in a magazine scan I saw somewhere. It may have been the CulT. I will try to look for it again, as it also had the name "Deep Caves" for MCZ.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's a mention to Chemical Factory.

I don't think I've ever seen any mention to "Deep Caves" outside some people claiming it.

7. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Illustrations by Yasushi Yamaguchi. Provided by ???.

Who's your source?

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My source will remain anonymous until he/she tells me otherwise, for obvious reasons. =|

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    A completely unrelated question:

ICEknight, now that the secret section has changed, what's going to happen to that 'The Truth About Genocide City' text that used to precede the 'Sonic 2 Prototype Enemies' section?

EDIT: I would have presumed ICE's source is Tom Payne, for the simple reason that most of those sketches for behaviour / graphics correspond with the Digitizer pics that Mr. Payne provided ICEknight with (Bee/Wasp, Snail, Ball, Bubbler, Mother Bubbler, Banper/Sandcrab), and since it says on the site that the drawings were made as visual aids for the artists and others. However, that's purely speculation and doesn't really fit with the fact that Payne is credited for his previous contribution.

If ICEknight's source wishes to remain anonymous then I guess that that's that, whoever he or she is.

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    So it is a new guy this time? Neat!

A new guy with deep secrets to tell! It must be more than just these pictures. A new interview? That would be awesome.

One thing, if you got to Yasuhara, I'm sure there will not be any more secrets left.

11. [offtopic]
    On the ICE just linked a few posts ago, we read this:
    OMFG, he is the responsible for this awfull piece of shit he calls "a game". Naka could've skipped this one. I had it on my Master System and it just sucked so much ass.
    [/offtopic]

I'd like to see Sonic 2 on Sega CD. It would sure boost its sells. So, Sonic CD is a split from Sonic 2 afterall...

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh, you're right! I guess I'll have to add it somewhere in the future... Oh well, I'll think of something eventually.

13. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    Wow. Time travel WAS planned, and the 'burning log' isn't ChikiChiki boys data?

I am in awe. Well done, ICEknight. 2005 is looking good already.

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Actually, ICEknight only said that that graphic 'might have been' related to that concept. I'm not sure if anyone's checked if that particular graphic was in Chiki Chiki Boys or not, since Nemesis only highlighted those graphics which were well-known as 'lost graphics' throughout the community at the time.

If nobody else has checked by the time I've finished my revision, I'll download the Chiki Chiki Boys ROM and do the search myself. Shouldn't be too hard, as if I'm not mistaken the offset for the 'burning log' GFX in the S2 proto is listed on this very site.

15. AndyAML

AndyAML

Canada
    burp
    FRIP FRIP FRIP FRIP FRIP

Couldn't stop laughing at that.

Attached because Tripod is being a butt.

Attached Files:

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The "burning log" graphics are stored between the seesaws and the Hill Top rocks. What a coincidence! ;)

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Illustrations by Yasushi Yamaguchi. Provided by *insert name of choise using the ones below*.

1. Hirokazu Yasuhara
    2. Yasushi Yamaguchi

I say Yasuhara because:
    He knows English.
    He's available.
    He's a nice guy.

Both of these guys knows most of the secrets in Sonic 2. So I'm very excited to read an interview. But if it isn't these two, then it's probably just that Tom guy that drew the enemies ;.;

Well, Tom Paine maybe remember something... hopefully x.x;;

Of course it is Tom Paine. There are no other options.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Has anybody tried putting one of those unused lava spitting objects from Hill Top next to a log bridge? The graphics for the fire they cause are loaded separately, and appears in both Hill Top and Green Hill.

Perhaps both zones were to feature burning log bridges, one because of the bees, one because of the lava. =\

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I will check that out

20. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Wow! Just wow!
    Looks like S2 Long Version needs some changes, updates and new things.
    If only I was good enough to remake these sprites... It's time to master ASM language.
    LOst, are you around to help me? :P

Welcome to 2005! Very nice ICEknight, as always.