don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemulii

zemulii

I also think just keep it simple and stick to the style in this case (especially for the sake of consistency with other art in the game eg. Rexon). Just with some little extra polish/detail (as just about all HD artwork needs so it doesn't look too bland when scaled up...). Maybe tiny drops trailing off randomly or something. It'd have to be barely noticeable though. Nothing extreme. Otherwise it looks like we're trying too hard ;).

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    One google search and liquify later.

[​IMG]

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

^ That. Thts is a perfect mix of style. If I saw that, I would know what it was, and if I hadn't seen it before, I'd take the guess that it was some form of dense liquid, kinda like Perfect Chaos.

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Interesting idea. We'll keep that one in mind.

5. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Or we could just make more menu space.

6. zemulii

zemulii

Honestly I don't think menus need to be filled up with trivial things, it just gets messy.

7. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I actually REALLY like the top one.

8. I feel the same way. A menu cluttered with stupid little details would look ridiculous and very unprofessional. I'm sure that the development team is aiming for the most professional game possible, so they must be confident about their work and go with whatever they think is right. Every game has details someone dislikes, but if the team does their job well, the majority of the players will be satisfied despite that, so that's hardly a problem.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yep, that's pretty much it right there.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The menu has already been laid out, and includes only the core functions needed at the present time.

11. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Late suggestion, but why not make the liquid balls look somewhat transparent?

12. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    I prefer the top-left one in AndyMan's post. The one test-object posted is overly realistic due to its bumped texture and would clash with the vibrant cartoon art style.

13. Shwazoom

Shwazoom

^^^TIME STONE^^^
    Middle of Iowa
    Sonic Walkthroughs & Playthroughs on YouTube
    I agree that would be pretty neat and cool.

Aww crap last post

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I think it would look really nice to have the outer areas being fairly transparent but have the center of it being far more thick in feel and much less transparent.

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I think the middle concept there is the best idea for it. Having transparent orbs filled with liquid would look the least awkward while still having a similar look to the original.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Hm, I always saw the fact that they're blue orbs was because of hardware limitations. I've seen a lot of flexible material in Sega Genesis games made out of segmented sprites.

An example that comes to mind is the trapeze and diving boards in Aero the Acrobat.

Look around 3:08 - theres a trapeze artist swinging back and forth, and then Aero runs off of a diving board. Both of them are made of balls.

Another example (though I think it was a style choice in this case) would be Mr. Skops from Rayman.

In short, I guess, I don't think the chemical thing should be made of circles. That's just me though.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Just make them wobbly blue balls with a bit of transparency and some bubbles inside them.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, They appear to be some sort of transport of the blue liquid from the pipes. I think they should be full of it.

18. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    It is true, many things on the Genesis/MD were made of segmented circles. Another example from Sonic 2 itself is the part of Robotnik's Submarine from Oil Ocean that fire the laser.

However, I hold the opinion that regardless of what it is intended to be, the 'blue orb' hazard from CPZ should retain she 'blue orbs' shape. The bubbling sound it makes when exiting the tube is very fitting to its physical appearance. Likewise, its shape is a defining characteristic of the hazard -- that's what it's recognized for.

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Ah yeah, that bubbly-sound. Then should they look like blue gas bubbles filled with toxins?

20. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    I always thought of it as blue globules of whatever blue liquid is in the pipes that make up the floor of the level. Same stuff Robotnik dumps on you for the boss.

I personally like the idea of a mix between the top left and middle of test-object's concepts -- slightly transparent, but still maintaining their signature dark blue color, with perhaps some smaller bubbles inside. Pretty much what Sonica posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.