don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    At least there's SOME action going on now.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Since this discussion has been both relevant and productive I've seen no reason to stop it.

However, there has been very little said about the HTZ boss as well. CN is more than capable of doing all the rest of the badniks and bosses in the game, and neither of us will be happy to hear complaints if nothing is suggested on them before he begins working in earnest on them. I'm opening up discussion on all the remaining bosses for ideas and concepts, but the goal is still HTZ.

3. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Perhaps the HTZ boss can shoot out of the lava with force, instead of slowly rising. When this happens, have some fireballs fly up out of the lava ahead of him (above him), making him impossible or difficult to hit before he is completely up and ready to fire.

Furthermore, you could have the fireballs fly out on their way down and light the platforms on each side of him on fire for a short period before he fires his main flamethrower. That way, the window of attack would be more or less limited to when he's on his way back down. This would prevent the boss from being speed raped.

EDIT: For clarification of the second paragraph, the same fireball effect that already happens when he goes down, make it happen when he comes up, along with fireballs shooting up above him and then quickly falling down, giving him a period of 2-4 seconds when he cannot be attacked safely.

EDIT OF EDIT: Upon looking a review of the boss's attack pattern, if this was implemented, the fireballs and platform fire that comes up as he is returning to the lave might need to be removed, otherwise the player might not have a safe place to land after attacking him in the small window that would be available.

Final Edit: I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. Someone discuss if this is even a decent idea first.

4. test-object

test-object

We have actually already discussed him, though there's still options for more suggestions.
    We decided on a lava cool-off timer, so he couldn't get killed in 1 go.

I do think the EHZ boss is very relevant as well though. I have no idea how far you guys are on it, but from what I've heard, it's nearly done.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I personally think that just using the random fireballs from Marble Zone's boss would make things difficult enough, but the cool off timer does indeed sound like a nice idea.

6. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Isn't relevant to see what has been created as the base mobile?

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Why did you just post the same image five times?

8. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Saying that there should be a cool down timer is hardly conclusive discussion for the zone boss Test-Object. Let me be more clear: I wasn't referring to the hard mode options for it. If you have ideas for how the boss should look, and what, if anything can be added for visual appeal, that's what I'm on about.

9. To spur conversation, is it working?

10. test-object

test-object

How in the heavens can we talk about what could be added on, using only our imagination or the original sprite?

11. Pretty sure we need the most up to date version of the egg-mobile before we can discuss what goes overtop of it...

12. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Concept for the Hard Mode HTZ boss:

<a href="http://www.xmission.com/~jake_reed/files/other/HardHTZBoss.zip" target="_blank">http://www.xmission.com/~jake_reed/files/o...HardHTZBoss.zip</a>

Play the ROM, use the savestate. The Nearboss.gs1 will put you just before the last checkpoint with 3 rings and debug mode enabled.

EDIT: After playing this variation a few times and having a few people try it, he can't be speed raped, but he's still relatively easy once you get his pattern down.

How hard is hard mode supposed to be?

13. test-object

test-object

That's actually a REALLY awesome boss, albeit it just seems a bit too fast. I'm just so used of Robotnik being on screen about all of the time... Right now, he's flying all over the screen. It's a great difficulty though. I'm in favour of it.

14. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    How about if he still shot up out of the lava at the same speed, but he descended more slowly? That would give the player time for an extra hit.

15. test-object

test-object

Ugh, fine, I'll bite. You people should have taken initiative yourself though.
    Reminder: the list is on page 26. I would love some more hacks being made using the new boss ideas. Just sayin'.

[​IMG]

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Could actually just make that whole stage dark by default and have it illuminated by the lights in the foreground and add something to spots where there aren't any lights. The flashers would play a more interesting roll in the level then as well.

17. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    That actually sounds really cool, any chance that some of the stones could glow naturally? Like the green ones that crush you? I've always thought those were illuminated somehow...

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    That's what test-object's drawing was showing and I'm sure it could be worked in. I really haven't thought much about mystic cave yet.

19. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    WFZ: An extra platform.
    <a href="http://www.xmission.com/~jake_reed/files/other/WFZHardBoss.zip" target="_blank">WFZ Hard Mode Boss Concept</a>

That'n was easy. I'll upload more as I do 'em, and as my technical skill permits.

20. test-object

test-object

Good job, McGuirk ^^

That was still a really easy boss, though, I think you can even add 2 more of them. Alternatively, make it go faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.