don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    How about making Robotnik's car bounce at unpredictable times? It's an idea at least. >_>

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    You're all idiots, but so am I. He's got a perfectly good weapon installed in his mobile already, we just didn't think it could be used as one.

[​IMG]

3. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    That idea rocks, test-object.

But how would the player manage to avoid getting hit? That seems to cover too large of an area for a jump to clear.

4. Woot

Woot

He would spin his rotors rapidly while moving towards the player to attack. When he starts lifting from the ground, he will have to slow them down to remain in the scene, that's when sonic will be able to land a successful attack.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic could easily spindash from behind to attack; the problem was that of not being able to jump over the blades.

6. test-object

test-object

How come you're so sure you can't? :3

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Because clearing that distance at that height, if not impossible, would require some very precise timing.

8. test-object

test-object

If it is, we could always make the blades just slightly shorter.

itt, DigitalDuck gets the point.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    No, I mean "precise" timing as in "it'd be too fucking cheap, especially for a first boss" timing. You have about a frame's room of error if you're starting from standing, running, and jumping just as the boss has finished entering the screen, or again about a frame's room of error if you spindash and hope that you get the height from the slight curves in the ground.

Shortening the blades would help, though.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Bit much for the first boss, I agree.

Also, I thought Test Object meant something among the lines of literally attacking with the helicopter blades some how, like a weed whacker sort of scenario.

11. test-object

test-object

I would like to test it out first, before jumping to conclusions like "it's too wide" or "it's short enough". Would there be a way to do so? Maybe through a hack of Sonic 2 or some sorts? I am not a hacker myself, so don't blame me if I'm asking the impossible.

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Well, I'm no Sonic 2 hacker either, but doesn't the first boss just go left and right? A hacker could raise the Y coordinate of the boss. + - *inb4 "that won't work, stupid"*   :v:

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    As far as the drilldozer boss goes, that blades idea is the first really good one so far. But I agree, the implementation on how difficult it would be to dodge would be the problem. Maybe this could be overcome by having it speed out from the sides of the screen with the blades already extended, but fly up at a slight diagonal. This would force the player not to just stand by the sides or the middle and wait for the attack opportunity, but use a precisely timed jump from the end of a spindash to hit it underneath as it flies overhead instead.

14. zemulii

zemulii

That sounds pretty cool, as long as it doesn't get too predictable.

15. test-object

test-object

I do think this is a bit far-fetched. The mobile starts flying? The boss needs to become harder, not change entirely. You'd be better off shortening the blades a little, in my opinion at least.

16. Boinciel

Boinciel

Turbocharge his engine to the point where there are flames left behind him, which hurt Sonic.

[​IMG]

17. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    ^I like this one. He appears on the edge of the screen and revs up his engine then bolts across the screen. You'd have to do well at timing and aiming your hits. Hit too far in front and you'll bounce back in front of the vehicle and be ran over, hit the backside too early and you'll fall into the fresh trail of flames once he takes off, so instead you have to hit him just before he takes off so you'll be airborne long enough for the flames to dissipate.

I haven't read the other suggestions yet. this one just caught my eye.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps he could shoot a drill each time he reappears on screen?

Also, had the helicopter blades been supposed to be strong enough to lift the whole car, he could have come flying with it from the beginning.

19. test-object

test-object

Why does everyone think I want the entire machine to fly? I just want a bloody rotor on my machine >_>

I've been suggested to maybe mix up the 2 concepts (Rotor blades and Trail of fire), although I do think it would make things too confusing. Any supporters or not at all?

20. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I vote yes, since it seems to propose a solution for this boss better than any other brought forth. But seriously guys, isn't there something more immediately relevant to bicker about? Like the art for the HTZ boss? Dang, I wish I knew Inkscape better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.