don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I like the latest version of the drill much more than the others, I do think it needs to go in reverse though.

Would it be possible to just use an image editing program to finish the drill grooves? Or would that being saved in such a program make the image too messy?

The spikes look fine to me, but being angled upward would do nothing but improve, and being left this way would do no damage, so I don't think it's an issue, and mainly I'll roll with whatever the artist wants and be content.

2. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    No, but I also didn't see any need to with you putting so much work into yours.

But its nice to know that without mine you might not have done yours.
    Too bad it was a staff member contributing and not a regular user. :/

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The whole reason I'm putting up the work I'm doing is to motivate others to do the same. By all means continue yours, especially if you think of another idea not present in either of our designs right now.

4. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

But my take on it is out there and I little incentive or reason to change it because putting more time into it really wouldn't get anywhere.
    I've been trumped, and completely honest there's no hard feelings about it. Like I originally said, I didn't spend time on it because I just wanted to show what it might look like in motion, not perfect it.

And no offense by this, and I hope none is taken.
    But I'd assume that since your staff and you consult the rest of the staff that you would kind of know what you want to get out of this rotating cone.

[​IMG]

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I wish Chrome had APNG support, I never know if something is supposed to be animated.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I see no reasons for un-fixing it.

7. -I personally do feel it looks better in reverse, "going down".

-Does anyone else think the spikes should be a bit bigger, and/or pointed more upwards like the eariler concepts?

8. Volpino

Volpino

I don't know about being bigger, but pointing upward might be an option, maybe have the upper spikes point upward, then as it gets down to the lower spikes, they straighten a bit?

9. Cryops

Cryops

Again I want show what I have and again it not finished yet, sorry... I want ask, what are you think about his eyes? and what with his legs?
    [​IMG]

10. Looking good, but it seems the complaint has been made about 30 times that the one leg is smaller than the other. I'd work on that, you need to get the shapes perfect first.

11. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Since very little work has been done on either the Spiker or the Rexon, I will be working on both, using the process I outlined in my guide. If you remember back to when I first worked on the Whisp, this will be very similar to that.

I will make an update at most a couple times a week, outlining a new step from the process each time, for each badnik. I encourage you to chime in with ideas, even if they aren't used, they can lead to others. Since I started working on the Ghora here, it's only fair to show you where he's at as well. That means I will only be working on the legs and base for now. The drill will come later, since the process for that is obviously going to be a little different.

[​IMG]

I used outlines so it is easier to differentiate all of the parts. The reason it is so important to start with just the basic shapes is that if you need to change something, you don't have to mess with any shading. You need to make sure this is perfect first. I always use vectors for anything I do, so changing a shape is as easy as a few clicks. This method also makes life easier when it comes time to animate.

The main things to think about at this stage are getting the right proportions, perspectives, and how it will animate. Once these are finalized, it is time to move on to the shading.

12. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I don't think that spot in the "belt" (for lack of better terms) is a badge as you are depicting, but a light that fits inside the belt, almost as if the belt itself was a slot in which the light could move.

SIDENOTE:
    If this idea could be worked into an animation with lighting as good as your Flasher, even if the slot/light idea wasn't SonicTeam's original intention, it will look attractive enough to be used anyway.

13. Volpino

Volpino

Yours looks smoother but I like the colors of Cryops' spiker more, they look less monochromatic and better fit into the style. I know you aren't working on the shading yet, I just thought I would point that out. The ghora head's colors look very nice though.

I agree about the light, I think it's supposed to be a light inside the black strip. And even if it isn't it would look nice.

14. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    It actually is intended to be a light, it looks a little odd right now because it has that outline around it. I played around with different light ideas for the front, and this one seemed to fit best. I even made that knight rider light, I'll show it off a little later for fun. But yeah, it seems we're already on the same page with the light.

Edit: Volpino, colors have no meaning right now other than filling in the shapes. It's what I tried explaining to Cryops already. Correct coloring will come with the shading.

15. Volpino

Volpino

Oh. Sorry, it's just something I think about a lot. I can't wait to see that flashing light, by the way.

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    All the times we've been saying, "Start with the shapes", this is what we've been referring to. People just chose to go ahead with shading when the initial forms weren't correct. CN is following the process everyone should be in creating badniks.

17. Something about it just really bugs me, but I can't put my finger on it. So I thought I'd try my own (I exaggerated and added some shit like the screws to make it look less like a person and more like a robot. In my opinion, Nebula always looked like a person in a tiny ship)

[​IMG]

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I'm assuming that is just to look at because it isn't in the right perspective.

19. Yeah it's just to look at. I'm not a part of this project. It needs work but I can't be arsed with it. It took me like 10 minutes to draw and considering someone else has already done the art for Nebula I don't want to tread on any toes.

20. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    You fixed the EYES! My day has been made better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.