Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I see no difference between the "Uber" versions and regular....

2. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    Woops. Didn't mean to cause an uproar.

I'll tweak the Grabber. I understand completely what is necessary, I just hadn't studied the current graphics as fully as I should've the first time around.

Also, the Balkiry is only dithered because that's a .gif animation of it, some quality is lost. Here's the original. I'll smooth up the shading lines, anyway.

[​IMG]

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=312131:date=May 25 2009, 03:13 PM:name=Meph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meph @ May 25 2009, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312131">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Open your eyes. The uber drawings clearly look better. Why would you rather have a rubbish lucking one than a smoother, more realistic one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Taking your subjective opinion and blindly imposing it in a condescending manner, eh? Nice to know that you think a perfectly competent piece of art is "rubbish"--you've concretely proven that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2D games are only on portable games consoles these days. Let me show you an example...

[​IMG]

Look at Edgeworth's sprite from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. The game was originally made for the GBA. In those days, their primitive game engine only allowed for a small amount of colours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ANIME USES SOLID TONES AND LIMITED SHADING TO DEFINE DETAIL. CLEARLY IT IS USING A PRIMITIVE FORM OF ANIMATION THAT IS MADE BY A BIG STUPID POOPY HEAD.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PC are able to use modern state-of-the-art game engines that support multiple colours. Lets embrace that. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're a real piece of work, you know that? I don't think you have the slightest clue what you just typed out. The availability of as many colors as you could possibly want or need does not mean you should use every single one.

But let's just say that we should for the sake of argument.

[​IMG]

Hardcore color steps! Wildly defined shapes! State of the art technology! :eng101:

Give me a break.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm kind of at a cross roads here. I don't know which one I like more. The uber shading looks smoother sure but when you look at that Sky Chase Bird how can you not say that's awesome just the way it is?

Perhaps two versions of the game are in order? One with and without Uber Shading?

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=312163:date=May 25 2009, 04:43 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ May 25 2009, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312163">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps two versions of the game are in order? One with and without Uber Shading?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you draw the non-uber versions of the art that are already uber, sure. ;)

No, but seriously—that's a horrible idea.

6. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Changing art styles now would not only be stupid but it would render everything done so far useless. Seriously, we can argue all we want which looks better and what not, but that doesn't change the fact that it needs to be "uberized" to fit with the rest of the game.
    I am with tweaker on this. I think the gradient style looks kind of stupid, but I'd rather have a game looking like something than sitting here discussing over pointless shit.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=312164:date=May 25 2009, 12:46 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ May 25 2009, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312164">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=312163:date=May 25 2009, 04:43 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ May 25 2009, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312163">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps two versions of the game are in order? One with and without Uber Shading?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you draw the non-uber versions of the art that are already uber, sure. ;)

No, but seriously—that's a horrible idea.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ya it is, isn't it?

You're right Kirinja. We can complain all we want but the style stays either way.

8. What I've realised is with your "uber" stuff, you've added so many shades that they cannot properly be differentiated from each other when the image is exported to the size it would be at 1920x1080, your "HD" resolution for the game. So everything blends together and makes this not very nice graident effect.

9. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

I very much prefer the Uber style.
    The Balkiry will look much better in it.

10. <!--quoteo(post=312155:date=May 25 2009, 09:19 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ May 25 2009, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312155">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But let's just say that we should for the sake of argument.

[​IMG]

Hardcore color steps! Wildly defined shapes! State of the art technology! :eng101:

Give me a break.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lol. What I mean is that a Genesis couldn't render that. There's far too many colours. However, you're computer is rendering it just fine. So would an Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. We've moved on since 1992 and computers in many shapes and forums can render them far better. This is what Sonic 2 HD is all about! It's about creating a Sonic 2 for modern computers. :)

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=312188:date=May 25 2009, 05:20 PM:name=Meph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meph @ May 25 2009, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312188">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is what Sonic 2 HD is all about! It's about creating a Sonic 2 for modern computers. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was under the impression that it was about creating Sonic 2 in a higher definition with more detail as a result of the more modern technology of modern computers. Not, you know, Sonic 2 let's-use-every-color-just-because-it's-available. Clearly I was mistaken.

By the way—you'll be hard pressed to find any PC game that liberally abuses gradients like that. But, you know, whatever, I guess!

I should stress that you shouldn't let me deter your progress, however, nor should you take it as any kind of indication that this project isn't still officially endorsed by us or that I hold any personal ill will towards any of the artists or leaders involved—I'm just a grumpy old perfectionist who likes things to be a certain way. Ignore me if you please. ;)

12. Digital Xeron

Digital Xeron

[An error occurred while processing this custom ti Oldbie
    Unicomplex One, Canada
    Digibase Operations (TSZP)
    Okay,

This is NOT a 3D game, thus it should not use the same sort of shading 3D games use. It should use the style of shading 2D games (and even animated TV shows) use, which is sharp, defining lines indicating a shaded area with more detail in each area.

This is S2HD, not S23D.

13. I guess we'll have to wait for Vincent's final verdict on this...

14. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

I revised the Grabber. How is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. It's great. I the colours you've used are slightly paler, giving a more fitting, industrial feel to it.

However... the V on it's forehead. Isn't it meant to be black with the head being grey?

16. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

In the art it is, yeah. But I was more working from the original game sprite. It looks more aggressive that way, I think.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    The yellow is too whashed out to me. You removed the shapes of your previous shading, can you just add more shades to it?

18. <!--quoteo(post=312209:date=May 25 2009, 11:00 PM:name=Philosoraptor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Philosoraptor @ May 25 2009, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312209">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the art it is, yeah. But I was more working from the original game sprite. It looks more aggressive that way, I think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have to agree with you there.

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=312202:date=May 25 2009, 11:48 PM:name=Philosoraptor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Philosoraptor @ May 25 2009, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312202">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I revised the Grabber. How is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To all Style discussion people, move ahead on the reply I've just posted on <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=10111&st=1470&start=1470" target="_blank">General Project Thread & Feedback</a> and keep this out just for art drawing stuff! :)

Phil, check you PM messages.

EDIT:

My proposed Uberized ver
    [​IMG] Your ver[​IMG]

Legs and part of the neck are very good improvements! ^^
    However I'd work more to make it resemble the proposed uberized version, before adding additional lighting as it rises many problems(that's the same concept problem with adding shades to Balkiry!)::

-The the jaws(they do seem too extended vertically now)
    -The spotlight of the back don't keep the anime-styled reflection nailed before, and was pretty nice! ^^
    -The Grabber is going down a wall, so it's impossible that so many bright shades are visible on the wheel and the entire body.

Can you upload the source file on the Database, I can show you the Uber work applied as example! ^^

20. <!--quoteo(post=312202:date=May 25 2009, 10:48 PM:name=Philosoraptor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Philosoraptor @ May 25 2009, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312202">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I revised the Grabber. How is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why does the shine have a transparent gradient applied, it makes it look like a bad Web 2.0 joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.