don't click here

Attention: Those Who Want to Mirror

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    If you're looking to help mirror drx's prototypes after they are released, please first

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON "FREE"/SHARED HOSTING. Yeah, your package sheet may say you get 2TB bandwidth, but realistically, you have something like 30GB before they'll cut you off. Sorry, that's how the Internet works. If you have hosting, please make sure your bandwidth is actually alloted to you.

That being said, if you want to be a mirror, go ahead and reply to this with what you plan to mirror, what your bandwidth cap is, and the physical location of your server. I'm thinking of either making a big regional mirror list or setting up a round robin dns to distribute traffic more evenly.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Another thing, it may be said that it has 2TB, but maybe it's 2TB between all the pages their host. So you may have to take that into account. Besides he's right, normally you get around 30 or 50 GB of bandwidth... for paid posts. Free hosts normally don't give you more than 5GB. So forget it.

I would mirror in Sepwich as no bandwidth no size limits are assigned to me, but I know Sepwich would get down immediately with so many downloads, so no :P

3. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Total Bandwidth Provided: 5680 GB ($0.1/GB over)
    Total Used So Far: 0.955 GB

Yeah, DreamHost shared hosting... obviously you can see we use a whopping ton of it.

It might not be much, but I can probably offer at least some, provided I can get some free time on Saturday/etc...

Although I do wonder where we'd actually get cut off :P

4. I can mirror - Server based in the states - 2 different websites.

I will edit this post a bit later with the capacities

x2 obviously.

5. I will:

Seed with Torrent for 10 days after the release.

Host the whole thing on a FREE HOST OMYGOSH (20GB Bandwith, 5000MB Space or what): http://protos.freehostplace.com

Host the most interesting betas in http://oerg866.10gbfreehost.com/protos/, 20GB Bandwhidth, 10000MB space

Host the whole thing on a FTP Server. 40GB Space, unlimited Bandwith. Server will be running at: Sonicprotos.game-server.cc, port 21, user: protos, password: protos

Host the most interesting betas on megaupload.com.

Greets
    Oerg

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I have dedicated hosting.

I'll probably use my qjim.bo URL.

I should have enough space to mirror the entire archive.

Bandwidth usage limit: 1000GB/mo
    Throughput: 10mbps

I can also just shell into my server and wget from the master server in order to mirror stuff.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Aw :P

8. what aw

Is that not enough?!

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Just speaking to drx, sounds like he's not planning to do mirrors, just seeding a torrent from the server.

I'm happy to run rtorrent on my server in order to help seed. Having a bunch of people with fast lines seeding the torrent is probably a better way of distributing the load anyway.

10. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I won't be mirroring, but I will be seeding everything on the following systems (#2 I'm not positive about yet):

gs_server.gerbilsoft.ddns.info:
    - 100 Mbps line
    - 500 GB HDD
    - Unlimited bandwidth

hellfire.dusers.drexel.edu:
    - 1 Gbps line
    - 146 GB RAID-5 array
    - Unlimited bandwidth

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    drx may want to do torrents, but I'll be damned if we don't set up mirrors of our own accord anyway. I hate using bittorrent when I don't absolutely need to. =\

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Well once it's finished downloading I can set it up as a private direct download for mirrors, then once it's sufficiently mirrored we can announce the direct download locations.

13. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    I use to think of hosting services as banks. They lend out more money than they have.

14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

All companies are guilty of that sort of thing, the most recent one that springs to mind is comcast.

15. Skaarg

Skaarg

Do I need to upload my paper I just wrote on that? :P

As far as hosting goes, I could host the Sonic ones if needed on el servo, but I don't have very fast upload (640k). Bandwidth is not an issue though. As far as space goes I have about 20GB left on it that are on SCSI 10,000RPM drives in RAID-5. It's located in eastern Iowa, U.S.

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

I have 1TB bandwidth and 2TB space, so I will be hosting about 3 days after release.

17. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Well the server I have in mind has 3TB bandwith, and 25GB of available disk space. If my router didn't suck total bollocks I would set up a small webserver and mirror the files from my home.

18. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Bluehost:

it'll be like http://www.saveonepiece.com/whatever

Disk Space Usage: 55.14/307200.00 MB
    Monthly Bandwidth Transfer 735.90/3072000.00 MB
    I'll host all the Sonic and Chaotix betas in a zip file if that's okay.

EDIT:
    I don't know the physical location of it though =/

Oerg866, they said no free hosts, isn't that a free one? I know they say you get a lot, but trust me, there's always limitations. Not saying it won't work with all the other mirrors but, it probably won't last long =/

19. Franz

Franz

ALL OF THE LIGHTS Member
    I can also mirror then if needed, 5800 GB bandwidth available this month on my dreamhost plan. (lol dreamhost)

The physical location is California from what I remember. edit: yup, Los Angeles

20. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I can mirror too, my parents got hosting and there is so much space that there is nothing better to use it for. I should have them up late monday early tuesday. Also, are pending members still able to reply in proto discussion, because this is my last trial post O-o