don't click here

Atlus' parent company going into bankruptcy

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Candescence, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    For a while now, Index, Atlus' parent company, was being investigated by Japanese authorities for what is basically fraud. At the same time, Index was also going into severe debt. This time, however, it seems to have had some severe consequences for the company. Index is now going bankrupt.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66624001#post66624001
    https://twitter.com/sprsk/status/350164804150886400
    I'm not sure what civil rehabilitation proceedings entail, but if the creditors start selling off Index's assets, many people have been speculating that the most likely potential buyer would be Nintendo, who have a close relationship with Atlus and a vested interest in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, not to mention the SMTxFire Emblem crossover that Nintendo will very much want to see completed at all costs. It's not the first time Nintendo has bought a prominent JRPG developer, as shown with Monolith. Namco Bandai is also a possibility.

I actually kinda do want to see the former happen, partly because I want Persona games on Nintendo consoles, and to watch the inevitable shitstorm that will occur when Sony and Microsoft fans realize they're not getting Atlus titles ever again.

Edit: Also, for the record, Index isn't being liquidized, it's reorganizing. They're trying to get sponsors for a buisness transfer for the games division. They're either expecting to partner up with someone or they're looking to be completely bought up.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Why not SEGA? They were publishing their titles for a bit.

EDIT: Distributing them rather.

3. It's questionable whether Sega is in a good financial position to buy up companies again. I'd say wait to see if they sue GearBox over Aliens: Colonial Marines before considering them as an option.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I don't think Sega has the cash to throw around on this. Nintendo certainly does.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Capcom or Konami I would say sounds the more likely candidates. Their style of games match Atlus' more than Nintendo or Sega.

6. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    It's like Marvelous or GungHo would pick them up; I'd prefer Marvelous. If anyone other than them is going to pick them up, should be Nintendo since they actually seem to respect Atlus. SEGA is not the right partner for them, look at Platinum.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    SEGA worked out well as a partner until their financial situation got so lousy that they could not afford to fund Bayonetta 2. I don't think Capcom would be a good partner because of decisions they made in the past (R.I.P. Clover Studios) and Konami killed Hudson Soft so fuck them. Though if Konami revives the Bomberman series in a very positive way, all would be forgiven. Nintendo would be an interesting choice, but that would ruin their ability to make and produce games for non-Nintendo systems. As for Namco, I don't know enough about the companies (or Atlus in all honesty) to know if they would be a good fit together.

8. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    They barely release anything that isn't for a non-Nintendo system these days, just putting that out there. That's the only reason I think it's somewhat rational.

9. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Persona 4 Arena was released for Xbox/PS3 last fall. I think Persona 4 Golden was on the Vita around that time too, or maybe I just learned about it late.

10. Betcha 2 dollars the current Capcom would try to make Persona into a AAA Western-style QTE-cinematic action game.

While still completely ignoring Breath of Fire.

As for Konami... Well, they could use a JRPG IP, I guess...? I dunno, though. They're a bit westernize-happy as well...

11. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    As opposed to SMT IV on 3DS, Soul Hackers on 3DS, Etrian Odyssey on 3DS, two Devil Survivor games in one year: One on 3DS and one on DS. I'm pretty sure there's more, but I must admit SMT, Persona, and Etrian Odyssey are the only games I really pay attention to; out of Atlus.

12. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Now that my mind is on Persona 4 Arena, maybe Arc System Works will take the bait. >_>

Unlikely since they aren't exactly a huge developer, but it's an amusing thought.

13. Willie

Willie

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Pretty sure. I mean they bought Relic earlier this year, from what I hear that's been going well for them too.

15. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    That would be the worst fucking thing ever, though. Seriously, kiss any Western Atlus release goodbye.

16. Willie

Willie

Are there any publishers that sound like they would be a great fit for Atlus? From what I gathered, it doesn't sound like any publisher would work all that well because of all the obscure Japanese games they port to the U.S. On the plus side, at least SEGA wouldn't intervene on game development like EA, Activision, or Capcom would. Hell, SEGA as a publisher might cause Atlus to support the PC platform more since SEGA actually values PC gaming nowadays.

17. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Their best bet would be a mega publisher like Marvelous or Gung Ho really. SEGA is a garbage company that doesn't release anything in the West, other than Sonic, due to "poor sales".

18. Willie

Willie

Is there a list of these 20 publishers looking to buy Atlus? I can't find a list anywhere.

19. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    There is no list unfortunately, Sega/Sammy was leaked by bloomberg, but that's it.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm not sure about that, seeing how there's still Atlus USA. Sega could actually use Atlus' localization team for Sega games.

Or they'll fire them because Sega can be dumb like that, we'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.