don't click here

'Asterix' SMS and 'Asterix: The Great Rescue'

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Vangar, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Vangar

Vangar

So I thought I bought 'Asterix' SMS from a pawn shop for $10. When I got home and tested it, the game inside the box was 'Asterix: The Great Rescue' SMS; the game is not the same as the box!

However, this game is from 1994, where as the original is from 1991. It's a totally different game by CORE and it plays quite nicely.

So now I can't make up my mind on what to do.

Should I Return it?
    Is 'The Great Rescue' worth more then the original Asterix? Is it rarer?

I can't find very much information online, so I thought I'd go to the guys that should probably know.

Cheers.

2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    It only cost you $10, why bother?

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I rather like Asterix the Great Rescue on the Genesis... I'd hesitate to call it a good game outright, but I had fun with it. Kind of have to get used to standing still while punching, letting enemies walk into you and die, instead of actively pursuing them, more often than not getting yourself hurt. Also a lot of tricky jumps; kinda annoying, those.

Haven't tried the Master System versions, though.

4. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    I don't know about The Great Rescue, never played it. But I grew up playing the original "Asterix" game and it is very good. Also, veeeeery hard. And long, there is a lot of levels. So I don't know if you should return the one you got, but if you can get the original, give it a try.

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    fuck! if you doesn't want that I would gladly buy it for you! It's quite rare in Spain and I like it a lot

6. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I never played it on Master System but I played it on Genesis; it's a fun game and I'd say it's worth $10 especially since you're in Australia. It's not the greatest game as mentioned above but it's still fun.

7. Does it really matter which one is rarer? You should make a decision based on what the game is worth to you, play them both on emulators and see which one you like better. Whether you like the game you got or not, the honest thing to do would be to let the seller know what happened, in case he made a mistake. If he doesn't care and you like the game, let it be. Personally, I quite like The Great Rescue (I also managed to buy a copy recently), and find it one of the better looking games of the SMS, a great showcase of what's graphically possible on that console.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think both the original Astérix and The Secret Mission (made by SEGA, I believe) are so much better than The Great Rescue, Mega Drive version included... I'd personally return it or sell it to somebody interested, but only because I really dislike this game, which you might not.

9. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Yes, The Secret Mission is not bad, but very short and a lot easier than the original Astérix.