don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Tylinos

Tylinos

If I recall, some reprinted back issues in the early days would have updated ads in them too, to fit with the times. I have a copy of the In Your Face Special (came out around the time Issue #20 did) that has a back issue order form in it going all the way up to Issue #46.

2. upg

upg

Ahh ok, this makes sense, thanks!

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    If you guys don't mind me butting in real quick, my bud FTA is going to be interviewing Tracy Yardley for his site in a few days and we're looking to get some good questions fans of the comic might want to ask. Obviously stuff like "How'd you get started at Archie/What's your favorite character to draw" is already covered, and "Is there a dart board with Ken Pender's face on it at the office?" is out of bounds (though hopefully the answer to that is a yes).

I've only recently started to get into the comic (picked up Sonic Saga Volume 1, the Genesis arc hardcover and Worlds Collide Volume 1), so I figured you guys might have some more in-depth/knowledgeable/out-of-the-box questions we could consider. This will be going into his podcast (The Super Power Flower Hour) but if your question gets asked I'll happily PM you the response if you're not interested. That said, his interview with Ian Flynn was a great listen and this should be similarly good.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Ask Tracy if he got better at drawing MegaMan. :v:

5. upg

upg

Awesome, my question would be — how many pages do you complete in a week, what is Archie's requirement for that?

6. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

Unrelated to the above posts but...

Source: http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7327&start=15#p381419

Long story short, not only does SEGA not want the world to be known as Mobius, but they have the unoriginal name "Sonic's World" in place instead of giving it a damn name. Is this not an Alternate (future) Earth anymore? Can we not settle for it to be called Earth even if it's got a slightly different continental placement? I'm rather uncomfortable with our friends living on an unnamed planet, as it can make some wording very awkward.

Oh, also Sonic Universe #60 is out, but I'll get back to that when I get the issue myself.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Okay, Sega, I'm fine with you wanting to streamline the more convoluted and contradicting elements of the games. But... Sonic's World? There's minimalism and then there's laziness. Multiply laziness by four, and you get... Sonic's World.

8. Tylinos

Tylinos

Sounds like a middle ground instead of still calling it Earth, because people complain about these things. Heck, over at Bumbleking there were some people complaining because they thought Ian was trying to call it Earth in the comics. They can't win no matter what they do, so they picked a non-answer where we can fill in the blank ourselves.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm not caring for Shadowfall at all.

I do like that Peppers is doing the art but even that seems off in these two issues.

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

Yeah it felt wierd when Eggman said it in Colours, no wonder Generations uses "this world" instead.
    This decision is not that new, and I bet it was done by some marketing team instead of some writers.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The pratical result is just that they'll have to talk like normal people do and not mention the planet's name every 2 panels.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Welp, it has got to this point now, we can't even use the names of Penders characters anymore. wonder what they are going do to in the comic every time the name is said?

Also, Sonic Dash adaption is out.

I'm gonna get soo much abuse out of this:
    [​IMG]

(feel free to edit and clean up this btw, its just a dirty edit I made.)

13. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Considering they're actually still going to reprint it, added with the removal of Penders characters from covers but remaining in reprints, it's more likely Archie just can't use them in covers materials without paying since it'd count as using them for publicity and competition against hypothetical Penders covers in a shelf.

Same reason why back when Shazam was named Captain Marvel, DC couldn't have him or his name on covers.

So that's the only thing to expect now- no Penders on covers.

14. I am kind of surprised Sega isn't forcing them to completely Sega-fy the comic and remove the SatAM characters. They look like Sega characters now so maybe it's okay...

15. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    If this Tumblr Blog were of any indication, it stated that they fought with Archie's legal team to keep the SatAM characters. Also, I don't think there's any indication that SeGa wanted the comic to go into a hard reset after the PendersGate.

16. THis was a great read. Thank you!

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I agree. That was an excellent summary of the events, and helps me really see the full picture of how much Penders actions caused Sega to gut the comic and tighten their leash. Good thing Ian's such a good writer, a lesser one would have let the ship sink. Flynn's passion for the book is the only thing keeping it alive at this point.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bump, the unleashed arc begins!

Also:

+ - Sweet, glad the Sonic X and Gizoid bans are lifed, guessing SEGA doesn't give anymore of a shit due to Boom. Also, lul The Lost World.  

19. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    "So long as we aren't redesigned again."

PFFFFTTT hahahahahahaha. The timing of this offpanel is impeccable.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]
    >Needlemouse
    >That Robotnik design

Amazing. =P