don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Also, we got some info from a Sonic Stadium interview with editor Paul Kaminsky.

1- Two new writers are coming to the main book, to write back-ups.

2- Amy will have a more important role.

3- Sally's fate is not as obvious as the cover shows. Combined with some comments by Ian, this seems to indicate Sally may die, but somehow keep lingering on- perhaps they'll copy Ben Hurst's backstory for Nicole and make Sally an AI?

That Babylon Rogues arc is written by Tracy Yardley! and I'm quite curious as to how it'll be. The Scourge arc currently going is also pretty good, to a lot of people's surprise.

2. So... we get to see Classic Sonic reappear in the Generations side story? :D The last time we saw Classic Sonic in Sonic X (right?) was awesome.

3. Tylinos

Tylinos

The Gigan Mountains/Rocks/Device were Babylonian ruins in Zero Gravity that pretty much set Zero Gravity's plot in motion.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks for explaining that. like I said its just a partial adaption but not a full blown riders adaption.

Don't get too excited, lately their game adaption storys have been 2 page remakes of the first cutscene of the game its adapting. on the plus side, we may know more about generations story soon!

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Soon = November.

6. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Back ups as in the 2nd stories in the comics? This is good new either way because it puts some pressure of of Flynn so he can relax some. I still haven't read any of the Genesis comics though but when I do I can already tell they're going to be a treat.

7. Impish

Impish

I'm just glad that the entire continuity is no longer going to be controlled by one guy, it doesn't make for a varied universe, having the "show runner" also write every piece for the comic.

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Well, so long as they don't take a wrong turn into drama town like they did with their last main writer, this is totally fine with me. The comics have seemed rushed for a very long time now, and aren't as compelling, although one could argue the stories are better. I'm just not a fan of the art as of late. I'd like it varied a bit, like it was some time ago. Get Steve Butler doing some more work on the main book again, or bring back J. Axer, he had a nice style. Heck, I'd love Sam Maxwell to give it another go, I dug how he drew Sonic back in #86-87; it was like an awesome fusion of classic and modern Sonic. There were some weird things with eyes and proportions, but overall, I loved it.

[​IMG]

His Metal Sonic design was pretty cool too :)

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    And still died off immediately like every other Metal Sonic.

It's like Archie hates Metal Sonic or something. It isn't even shocking to bring him back since you know he's gonna get destroyed before the issue/arc is over.

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Ian Flynn has the mentality that you must always kill a Metal Sonic or else it won't stop until it kills you.

That's probably half of the problem. Ever since Heroes, neither Sonic Team nor Archie Comics has been making any effort towards making Metal Sonic less of a soulless machine and more of an actual character

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That's exactly how I feel about it. The reason that fans loved Metal Sonic when he first showed up is because he was a. a serious threat and b. seemed to have a personality of his own, like when you saw him in the holograms in Sonic CD and when he wagged his finger like Sonic before the Stardust Speedway Race. There's something sort of unsettling about it.

I thought the 'original' Metal Sonic who died in #87 was the best way they've ever handled the character, both in Archie and Sega. He'd gone through character evolution in addition to physical changes, and their reasoning for him having a personality was believable enough. He was still limited by his programming like he stated, but he had his own way of getting things done, and you didn't know his intentions when he did something strange. I only wish that arc had lasted longer, in order to build him up as more of a threat. I feel that it was the purest form of what the comics always should have been: Sonic and Tails, on an adventure.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You know I gotta say I'm really enjoying this temporary reboot so far, It's a nice fresh start that gets to ignore the SatAM Robotnik designs, the bogus reasoning for how Sonic got green eyes, Knothole, the relationships, and the rest of the crap,

Also I've been reading the Sonic the Comic comics lately, Honestly they're not as bad as I thought, however after reading some of them I've come to the conclusion that while I prefer the overall stories shown in the Sonic the Comic issues (The main Sonic stories that is, not the Sonic's World crap and those strange ass Tails adventures), I much prefer the characters and the art direction in the Archie comics, Porker Louis and Johnny Lightfoot just have some really strange looking designs that I don't really care for, and I don't know what's up with Amy's design but I'm not liking that either, And they chose AoSTH Robotnik for his design, it doesn't really fit his evil character as it makes him look more like a goofball (I get why they chose the design but beyond AoSTH I don't think it fits well in anything)

Like if they had the main Sonic story archs of Sonic the comic drawn in a similar style to the Genesis arc of the Archie comics and if they replaced Porker Louis and Johnny Lightfoot with like Sally and Rotor (and replace Grimer with Snively), I think we'd have a really good Sonic comic, As it stands now though I really enjoy the direction Flynn has taken the comic,,, yes I actually like Flynn, at least in comparison to Penders anyway (god he sucked)

(Oh and sorry about using commas instead of periods, my period button doesn't seem to work right now)

And on a side note I kind of like Metal Sonic being just a machine that dies and gets rebuilt every now and then, Granted while I do love Metal Sonic I think it makes more sense for him as he's a machine, and him being a soulless, ruthless robot that wants to do nothing but kill Sonic makes sense since that's kinda what he's designed to do, so of course he should be destroyed to be ultimately dealt with, otherwise he wouldn't stop

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Upon his very first appearance, Metal was blown to bits (by a huge laser no less). I don't understand why everyone has a problem with it now. With how Robotnik was always rebuilding and pumping out more robot doppelgangers to combat Sonic in the Genesis games I really don't see why it's a problem for him to be destroyed and rebuilt on a constant basis.

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    It's probably because they've gotten rid of all of the other robot...anythings and are trying to make Metal Sonic seem like a legitimate threat. I'm of the opinion that if Metal Sonic is going to constantly be killed in every single appearance, then they need to not only stop promoting him as anything other than cannon fodder, but go back to trotting out the other robot Sonics as well as Metal Knuckles and other such things of that nature. Metal Scourge was a step in the right direction for Archie Comics. Now perhaps it's time for the games to follow suit.

15. THIS. Totally this. I absolutely loathe Flynn's writing, and is a reason I've never gone back to the comics other than checking to see if it's improved every once in a while, which has only recently started to, even if it's no where near the quality of Michael Gallagher's work.

16. Impish

Impish

No, I really like Ian's work, I just think any comic being written by one person gets stale after over 50 issues of the guy.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    True Dude, if Gallagher is your standard of good Archie, (nothing wrong with it, he did some awesome stuff) then this comic hasn't been for you for something like 15 years. Time to let it go, man.

As for Metal Sonic, the reasoning Ian has is pretty good and I like it- Metal Sonic MUST be killed on appearance, as it won't stop before it kills Sonic.

He just needs to make it more apparent. As stupid as the Sonic Heroes-adaption with the Metal Sonic Troopers was, it did convey a sense of power from them- now imagine that instead of a whirlwind of robots destroying Knothole for 3 issues you had ONE robot do all that and even more until it is destroyed.

18. I actually haven't really been reading the comic for a while outside of checking about twice a year, even then I only read the issues at a Comic store. (Which is kind of an asshole move now that I think about it, reading the whole comic without paying for it... I should probably stop doing that) What I've been waiting for has not only been for other writers to finally get a crack at Sonic, but for the comic to actually become interesting for once. It seems both have finally happened, as the Genesis arc and the Scourge arc both look appealing, and I can finally see some other people take a crack at stories to break up the monotony of one writer. (Which was something about the older comics I liked, even if you'd get bad with the good) On another note, I've given in that this isn't even close to the Sonic comic I read as a kid. (Hell, I like to imagine that the original series ended at 70 and everything after is an alternate universe)

The fact that both Sally may stay either dead or as an AI and Amy will get a better role at the same time doesn't suit with me though. Even though I really don't care about romance when reading Sonic, I never liked the idea of Sonic and Amy together, but that seems to very vaguely hint to it.

19. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Hah, you're safe from that one. Until you see a game with Sonic and Amy dating, you won't see it on the comics, that's one of the few certainties.

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Flynn is a huge fanboy of the Sonic and Sally are meant to be shtick. Even if Sega made Sonic declare his undying love towards Amy in the most blatant of ways, Flynn would still be in denial over it and excuse it as 'the comics are not the games hurr hurr' or 'SatAM's last breath'. It is embarassing at this point, but whatever. Every one has its crazy obsessions. If only he didn't focus on it so much.

I wonder about these new writers and what their ideas are. The comic is bland and stale with Flynn on the helm, because whatever conflict exists, its end is rushed and predictable and the status quo unchanged. With fresh people and ideas maybe it will go somewhere. For the worse if Flynn gets too protective of his story vision like Penders was. He seems the type.