don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Badnik

Badnik

<!--quoteo(post=599474:date=Jun 25 2011, 11:29 PM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jun 25 2011, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=599474">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=599472:date=Jun 25 2011, 10:25 PM:name=Badnik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Badnik @ Jun 25 2011, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=599472">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's not, like, an issue number where it suddenly gets good. The quality has been slowly getting better over the last two years or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I checked not even 5 issues ago and it still was crap to me, especially Universe. Suddenly, both titles have incredibly awesome stories happening.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but it's a higher quality crap. They've polished that turd to a mirror shine :P

2. <!--quoteo(post=599478:date=Jun 25 2011, 10:47 PM:name=Badnik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Badnik @ Jun 25 2011, 10:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=599478">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, but it's a higher quality crap. They've polished that turd to a mirror shine :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A description like that really doesn't incline me to read the comics.

Also, one reason I stopped reading the comics was because they weren't fun to read anymore. At least back in the beginning up until a little past 75 it was still fun to read. In fact, one reason it wasn't fun to read Ian's writing was because he spent too much time doing his "clean-up" of what he didn't like that it interfered with making a good or at least fun story. Now that all of it is out of the way finally, I might actually read the comic on a somewhat regular basis.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    So I finally unsealed that nine-issue pack of SU #23 copies, and discovered the source of my inconsistent subscription deliveries. The package, which I assumed to be a mis-mailed comic-shop shipment, is actually a SUBSCRIPTION shipment. The issues within all bear various addresses, including mine, in the NJ area. So the blame lies ultimately not with Archie, but with the postal service not distributing their periodicals correctly. It's all bunched up in the second half of the subscription period, too, so it may be exactly one incompetant jackoff causing this problem for the people in this area. I've sent a message to Archie detailing exactly what happened and what issues I didn't receive, so hopefully they may do something about it. I also recommended they "idiot-proof" their subscriber packages to avoid losing business over a few idiots who fail at the postal system.

By the way, anyone here subscribed to the comic live in Jersey and missing this particular issue? Because I just might have your copy of Sonic Universe #23 on my desk right now! :v:

EDIT: Got a reply from Archie. They'll be shipping me all the issues I missed, and will be giving their distribution department the information I provided regarding the postal fail that caused this problem. Well, that's good. Feel kinda bad for blaming Archie without thinking, earlier.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I finally read the new issue (226) and all I have to say is that issue is probably 100x better than any issue preceding it. Tell me, WHY is this reboot only temporary? The only part that sort of bums me out (which I was thinking they would probably do anyway) is that they no longer call him Robotnik in this reboot, which makes sense judging that they're starting fresh so why would they use any of the American stuff if they don't have to, but at the same time they're calling Rotor Boomer again. But still all in all it's a really fun issue.

Oh and the fun part is that Sally can actually do something, she can talk to the animals... ok kinda stupid but it's better than nothing. She asks a Flicky to temporarily go back into a reprogrammed Buzzbomber so it can help them out.

5. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    Yes, Sally has become the Aquaman of Sonic. :P Her superpower is talking to flickies.

I picked up this issue a few days ago. It is indeed very fun, although to be honest I can see why they didn't do this kind of thing to begin with-- while it's enjoyable to see hand-drawn versions of the levels and enemies, the writing ends up being "Pointless banter while we fight this enemy from the games. We beat him. Onto the next level." Which is a problem that also occasionally affected the UK Sonic comic, in stuff like the "Attack on the Death Egg" story from Issue 6. The more faithful you are to the games, the more the story becomes simply narrating the events of each level. That's fun for a bit, but the novelty would wear off pretty fast.

As I said, the art is the biggest draw for me. Does the comic look this good all the time now? I quit reading shortly after the Ron Lim era. Ron Lim was obviously a decent human artist, but he couldn't draw Sonic for shit.

My favourite adaptation of any Sonic game is NetRaptor's "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" fanfic. I only really read up to Hydrocity, because at the time, that was all that was complete. At the time, I loved it. Although a couple of years later I remember skimming through the later chapters and finding some weird stuff about a dragon befriending Knuckles or something...

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=603214:date=Jul 7 2011, 07:55 AM:name=aaronlong)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aaronlong @ Jul 7 2011, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603214">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I said, the art is the biggest draw for me. Does the comic look this good all the time now? I quit reading shortly after the Ron Lim era. Ron Lim was obviously a decent human artist, but he couldn't draw Sonic for shit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ron Lim? Eesh! I remember his style...

But yeah the art has stayed a one universal style since the 190s either its been the 1 artist all the time or other artist have adopted the same style. I noticed alittle difference in the FCBD2011 issue but it wasn't a big deal.

7. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Misfit
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    <!--quoteo(post=603214:date=Jul 7 2011, 09:55 AM:name=aaronlong)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aaronlong @ Jul 7 2011, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603214">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, Sally has become the Aquaman of Sonic. :P Her superpower is talking to flickies.

I picked up this issue a few days ago. It is indeed very fun, although to be honest I can see why they didn't do this kind of thing to begin with-- while it's enjoyable to see hand-drawn versions of the levels and enemies, the writing ends up being "Pointless banter while we fight this enemy from the games. We beat him. Onto the next level." Which is a problem that also occasionally affected the UK Sonic comic, in stuff like the "Attack on the Death Egg" story from Issue 6. The more faithful you are to the games, the more the story becomes simply narrating the events of each level. That's fun for a bit, but the novelty would wear off pretty fast.

As I said, the art is the biggest draw for me. Does the comic look this good all the time now? I quit reading shortly after the Ron Lim era. Ron Lim was obviously a decent human artist, but he couldn't draw Sonic for shit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're liking Yardley's obvious control over Spaz here (I'm surprised that the art barely changed went it went from Spaz's hands to Yardley's.... Blech), then yeah, the art's really good. It's sad that this is the best I've seen from the comic and it is this lacking in substance. I'm especially hating what they've done with Sally. Especially Sally. They just cannot seem to make her look retro. Then again, from time to time, Sonic's face looks like a copy and paste from Yardley's gallery of psuedo-Uekawa Book of Sonic Faces, so Tracey's disease has made its way through the whole damn book now.

Them simply narrating over events from the game is rather burning my ass at the moment instead of thinking about plot over going through all the locations. Considering that this isn't a video game and that this is a comic book where a story should be taking place, this is incredibly bland. I also want Sally to just stop. She's getting so..... horny with Sonic, it's embarrassing. I love the change of pace for Rotor seeing as he hasn't done anything all too important for years. Robotnik having the name Eggman though is really bothering me now. Unless he's being referred to an incredibly dumb nickname now, this is beginning to bother me, especially with him being the bumbling oaf who can't even remember his master plan or what the Death Egg is used for. Fine, the Time Warp screwed around with his memory, that's a half assed but viable excuse considering that he was the cause of the Time Warp (noted in the Off Panel at the end of the issue, thanks for ruining whatever hint of a surprise there was, Flynn).

This isn't up to snuff, but it's only average. A shame. I wanted to explore awesome top notch work celebrating the past and crafting new stories around the Classic Era. But someone's eyes are looking way too green for their comfort here.

Let's hope it gets better from here. This first impression isn't good at all. But it's still the best we've had in years and the thought of that gives me the feeling that I'm wasting my time here.

8. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    In other news, people are just as hard to please with the comic as they are with the games.

THERE'S TOO MUCH PLOT WAAAH.
    THERE'S NOT ENOUGH PLOT AAHHH.
    SALLY DOES TOO MUCH.
    SALLY DOES TOO LITTLE.

God damn.

9. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an issue to release on iPhone after it hits print?

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Am I the only one who like Ron Lim?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=603549:date=Jul 8 2011, 06:31 AM:name=JaxTH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaxTH @ Jul 8 2011, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603549">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I the only one who like Ron Lim?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably. His art was horrid.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The Genesis arc is only four issues long, of course they're going to go light on plot to fit the entirety of Sonics 1-2 in.

As for part one, I thought it was alright. Not especially good and not especially bad, but alright.

13. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    I didn't mean to give the impression I didn't like #226, in fact I loved it. This was my first full issue of the comics in about 100 issues outside of the free comic book day stuff and some partial scans online, and I really enjoyed it. I'm just saying it's good they haven't been doing this kind of thing for 226 issues.

And yes JaxTH, you are literally the only one who liked Ron Lim's run on Sonic. :P

14. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    <!--quoteo(post=603549:date=Jul 8 2011, 05:31 AM:name=JaxTH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaxTH @ Jul 8 2011, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603549">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I the only one who like Ron Lim?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He's not a bad artist, he's just not good at doing Sonic. The thing about Sonic comics is that you'd need someone with more of a preference in cartoons than comic books.

You could get Jim Lee to do Sonic, but he'd probably suck at it too.

15. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I haven't seen much of Ron Lim's work, but a recurring issue in what I have seems to be that, unless Sonic is angry or determined, his eyes are drawn really huge with little to no brow separation, as if they were a pair of Scuba Goggles. I can see some logic in that, but it just looks really off for the character.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    <!--quoteo(post=603629:date=Jul 8 2011, 11:17 AM:name=Clutch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clutch @ Jul 8 2011, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603629">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't seen much of Ron Lim's work, but a recurring issue in what I have seems to be that, unless Sonic is angry or determined, his eyes are drawn really huge with little to no brow separation, as if they were a pair of Scuba Goggles. I can see some logic in that, but it just looks really off for the character.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way he drew Sonic would make the model from Sonic '06 cry. He wasn't too bad when he first started out, but all of a sudden, every issue he did after issue #91, his entire style changed. His lines were more jagged, he went from pretty much only ever showing Sonic with three spines to the customary 6 and made them super long, made him tall and lanky and overall freaky looking. Even as a kid I knew it was terrible-looking.

This panel can pretty much sum it up.
    [​IMG]

17. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    OH GOD MY EYES. I knew it was bad but I forgot just how bad.

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Egh, worse than Mick McMahon from StC.

And I friggin' HATED Mick McMahon.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bump.

So you people liking the Genesis arc so far? the cover for the arc after genesis aka the same arc has already been released looks like sally didn't bite the bullet, but of course who actually thought she would?...

Cover for #230:
    [​IMG]

Info:
    Also, looks like a partical adaption to riders is coming for the next arc of universe:
    [​IMG]

Info:
    Also, heres the preview for #227.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm not seeing how that is a partial Riders adaption.