don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. <!--quoteo(post=571339:date=Mar 21 2011, 06:41 PM:name=Erinaceus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Erinaceus @ Mar 21 2011, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571339">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571331:date=Mar 21 2011, 08:20 PM:name=Friend of Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Friend of Sonic @ Mar 21 2011, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571331">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571069:date=Mar 21 2011, 03:29 AM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Mar 21 2011, 03:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571069">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for where to get them, I advise Tails.Kicks-ass.net, which has all the Archie AND Sonic the Comic comics scanned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All I could find was cover scans. Am I doing something wrong?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have to register as a member of the site in order to access full issue downloads.

Also, make sure you have the program "CDisplay" in order to read the files.
    Thank you!!

2. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    <!--quoteo(post=571235:date=Mar 21 2011, 04:55 PM:name=Herm the Germ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herm the Germ @ Mar 21 2011, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571235">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know what's creepier, the fact that Vector has the anatomy of a Kenyan Olympic runner, or that Mighty supposedly has the arms of a gorilla?

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    <!--quoteo(post=571311:date=Mar 22 2011, 12:34 AM:name=Quarterman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quarterman @ Mar 22 2011, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571311">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571303:date=Mar 21 2011, 05:18 PM:name=SteelBrush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteelBrush @ Mar 21 2011, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571303">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571235:date=Mar 21 2011, 09:55 PM:name=Herm the Germ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herm the Germ @ Mar 21 2011, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571235">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ROFL

Why does Vector have an erection?
    Oh god. As if this art wasn't bad enough, now I have to contend with the fact that I'll never be able to unsee that.

Does this picture strike anyone else as a bad Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ripoff? Anthropomorphic animals with muscular human proportions fighting evil. Then again, I can just be over-analyzing again and this could simply be shitty artwork.

This pic is by a veteran Archie TMNT artist, which DOES show on his art.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That picture basically covers everything you need to know about the Archie comics. Bad art, anthros making out, Knuckles lookalikes galore, realistic proportions.. That picture's got it all.

5. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=571414:date=Mar 21 2011, 10:43 PM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Mar 21 2011, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571414">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This pic is by a veteran Archie TMNT artist, which DOES show on his art.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah that explains it then, and perfectly highlights why an artstyle used for one series doesn't necessarily work for another. Because damn. That picture is unsettling.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=571414:date=Mar 21 2011, 10:43 PM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Mar 21 2011, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571414">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[This pic is by a veteran Archie TMNT artist, which DOES show on his art.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So thats why Mighty looks like a ninja turtle abit!

Yeah 90s TMNT style does not fit this comic at all.

7. <!--quoteo(post=571415:date=Mar 21 2011, 10:49 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Mar 21 2011, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571415">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That picture basically covers everything you need to know about the Archie comics. Bad art, anthros making out, Knuckles lookalikes galore, realistic proportions.. That picture's got it all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two words: Ken Penders.

8. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    <!--quoteo(post=571424:date=Mar 22 2011, 02:00 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Mar 22 2011, 02:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571424">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571414:date=Mar 21 2011, 10:43 PM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Mar 21 2011, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571414">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[This pic is by a veteran Archie TMNT artist, which DOES show on his art.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So thats why Mighty looks like a ninja turtle abit!

Yeah 90s TMNT style does not fit this comic at all.
    It's like getting Rob Liefeld to draw Mickey Mouse.

9. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

<!--quoteo(post=571401:date=Mar 22 2011, 05:08 AM:name=SomeSortOfRobot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Mar 22 2011, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571401">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571235:date=Mar 21 2011, 04:55 PM:name=Herm the Germ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herm the Germ @ Mar 21 2011, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571235">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know what's creepier, the fact that Vector has the anatomy of a Kenyan Olympic runner, or that Mighty supposedly has the arms of a gorilla?
    I think the face of the guy on the topmost right can give those a fair challenge.

<!--quoteo(post=571415:date=Mar 22 2011, 05:49 AM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Mar 22 2011, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571415">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That picture basically covers everything you need to know about the Archie comics. Bad art, anthros making out, Knuckles lookalikes galore, realistic proportions.. That picture's got it all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, basically.

<!--quoteo(post=571427:date=Mar 22 2011, 07:45 AM:name=Ashram)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ashram @ Mar 22 2011, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571427">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571415:date=Mar 21 2011, 10:49 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Mar 21 2011, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571415">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That picture basically covers everything you need to know about the Archie comics. Bad art, anthros making out, Knuckles lookalikes galore, realistic proportions.. That picture's got it all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two words: Ken Penders.

Flynn has anthros making out, Knuckles lookalikes and realistic proportions as well. It's not much different but a softer approach.

10. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Out of those, I'd only really accuse Ian of having anthros making out :P the Knuckles lookalikes were all created by Penders (or in the lone case of Finitevus, Bollers),and even then he killed most of them; and I'm not quite seeing how he can be blamed for "realistic proportions" when he's only the writer, while Penders DID draw for the comic :P

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. I personally have pratically no qualms with Ian's run on the comic (WHY WOULD AMY ACT LIKE THAT IN #222, IAN? WHY?), but I see some here who do. What are the things you guys DON'T like in his tenure as a writer? I'm just trying to see the other side, since mostly when I see people disliking Ian it's because "WAAAH HE KILLED ECHIDNAS", and I trust you guys to have somewhat of a better opinion than that :P

11. While I don't really like that he killed the Brotherhood effectively ("They're in another zone, never to return!"), I think it was because I liked the IDEA of the Brotherhood. A long time ago I really liked the Knuckles comics because back then, story-wise Knuckles had a lot more going for him. Sure, that was because Penders had a giant hard-on for the giant gaps of Knuckles' family history that Sega intentionally left from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but still.

As far as Knuckles look-alikes though, I think Finitevus is the lone exception to the rule that they're all bad. Sure, he did originally start out as a nameless Knuckles knockoff, but the idea is that he's SUPPOSED to be a Knuckles look-alike but evil.

While I do kind of miss Penders occasionally for his attempts at writing, I have no problems with Ian as a whole.

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>As long as this "pseudo-reboot" thing doesn't stick.</span>

12. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    The Brotherhood aren't properly dead, though; and in fact, it's been recently hinted that we may end up seeing them in some time, with Knuckles deciding to hook Dimitri to Haven to try and solve things. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up figuring where to did Finitevus kick them.

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    The REAL problem with that image is that it was quoted 3 times on this page. That's 4 times too many.

God, maybe I shouldn't try to catch up on the comic. I'm about 200 issues behind, but now... I mean, there was kissing before, but at least it wasn't awful like that.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=571437:date=Mar 22 2011, 02:11 AM:name=Namo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namo @ Mar 22 2011, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571437">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The REAL problem with that image is that it was quoted 3 times on this page. That's 4 times too many.

God, maybe I shouldn't try to catch up on the comic. I'm about 200 issues behind, but now... I mean, there was kissing before, but at least it wasn't awful like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't worry it rarely is as awful as that. And I'm pretty sure that image must be quoted about 4 more times.

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I just remembered one thing that kinda bugs me about the Archie comics -- since Sonic Adventure 1, there really haven't been any straight adaptations of the games anymore. It's only ever "Play the game to find out how it continues!," despite the fact that the comic adaptations almost always try to set themselves up to fit somewhat into the Primary Archieverse yet still tell the game's story. Granted, Sonic Adventure 2 at least has gotten a finish to it's adaptation relatively recently -- in Sonic Universe #1, I think, through flashbacks.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=571452:date=Mar 22 2011, 06:15 AM:name=Herm the Germ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herm the Germ @ Mar 22 2011, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571452">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just remembered one thing that kinda bugs me about the Archie comics -- since Sonic Adventure 1, there really haven't been any straight adaptations of the games anymore. It's only ever "Play the game to find out how it continues!," despite the fact that the comic adaptations almost always try to set themselves up to fit somewhat into the Primary Archieverse yet still tell the game's story. Granted, Sonic Adventure 2 at least has gotten a finish to it's adaptation relatively recently -- in Sonic Universe #1, I think, through flashbacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think Sega banned them from doing full on adoptions after their SA1 one if I recall correctly. Plus none of the games really fit the story lines (although the Sonic Universe series could be a great place to house mini game adoptions series. After all the whole Tails arc was loosely based off Tails Adventure)

17. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not to mention there's that liiiiiittle issue of the games taking place on Earth instead of Mobius (in name, anyway), and having a completely different geography to boot.

18. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

<!--quoteo(post=571434:date=Mar 22 2011, 09:50 AM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Mar 22 2011, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571434">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are the things you guys DON'T like in his tenure as a writer? I'm just trying to see the other side, since mostly when I see people disliking Ian it's because "WAAAH HE KILLED ECHIDNAS", and I trust you guys to have somewhat of a better opinion than that :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dislike the overwhelming focus Sally and her love life have. I dislike that Sonic doesn't have much independence from the kingdom or the Freedom Fighters. I dislike that most of the arcs don't bother to have a proper setup and end up rushed. The comics have some entertaining stories every once in a blue moon, but if there was an alternative, I would not read them.

19. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    <!--quoteo(post=571458:date=Mar 22 2011, 04:00 PM:name=0r4ng3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Mar 22 2011, 04:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571458">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dislike the overwhelming focus Sally and her love life have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought that pretty much died down in recent years?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but if there was an alternative<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sonic the Comic and it's free, fan-made, partially-endorsed-by-the-original-authors online-continuation? :v:

20. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    The reason Ian doesn't do adaptions is because it would clog the comic- he'd rather do the usual short stories, then at his time adapt what elements he wants from the game.

As for what you said, 0r4ng3, I mostly agree, to be honest; but I guess it doesn't bother me that much.