don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Neat!

2. Tylinos

Tylinos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Included the full credits this time because of the sale date (since it's not a standard issue) and the fact that there are three writers on this one.

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/17/exclusive-archie-announces-worlds-unite-battle-books-promotes-vi/

Also, assistant editor Vincent Lovallo is now taking over from Paul Kaminski as the lead Sonic and Mega Man editor.

The article has an interview with some more Worlds Unite tidbits.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Did Paul Kaminski leave or did he retire? whats going on?

4. MisterEightySix

MisterEightySix

Jerk of All Trades Member
    Project FTA
    I think we should take a moment just to appreciate "Sonic Man". I'd frankly be more surprised if that ISN'T a reference to that terrible old game for the PC, what with the "Vector Man" joke in Worlds Collide.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Pretty sure that's a reference to this guy:

[​IMG]

Sonic 2006 references, wasn't that stricken from the canon?

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well, the places and people still exist but not the events thats the official canon to 2006. all there is to 2006 now is that Sonic and his friends visited Solenanna during a festival 1 day, had fun, and left.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I heard word it was removed entirely, as in not even Soleanna is in. Then again, the comic's adapting Sonic 2 Master System and Sonic the Fighters, so I guess anything and everything is in the comics.

I wonder how Flynn will go about Labyrinth...

8. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I thought Soleanna was mentioned as a location the FF were around during the beginning of The Chase. And now just checking "Soleanna Forest Zone" was the caption.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yes it was mentioned and no Soleanna isn't off limits, just the events of 2006 are. so we can still visit those locals just not in the same way 2006 happened.

And everything other then Unleashed, Lost World, and Chronicles has happened in the reboot. Neo Metal Sonic from the Heroes era was just seen recently in a flashback.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    What I hope this means is eventual issues of Sonic Universe or even dedicated mini-series being dedicated to properly adapting some of the games in flashback form. Probably Sonic Heroes, or a real adaptation of SA2. Even though artistically, issue #98 is probably the best drawn issue of the entire series, SA2 needs more than an issue dedicated to it.

11. Tylinos

Tylinos

[​IMG]

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Admittedly that panel looked rushed, noticeably, in the President's hand and foot, but the biggest issue with it, Rouge, is a coloring and shading issue. Get rid of that weird center neck line and shade her neck and faceline right, and she looks fine.

Also, keep in mind this was the "golden age" of Ron Lim on the comic. Even that panel doesn't come close to the abominations he, Penders and "Many Hands" released in their tenure.

I still think the comic is one of the best drawn. I'll counter your argument with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stand by my statement.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic's spines look weird. They look flat, though considering Sonic the Comic's spines for a while...

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

Spaz has always had trouble with Modern Sonic's spines for some reason.

As for the rest of the art in that issue, it certainly had a lot of effort put into it, but it's just never been my taste is all.

Actually, looking at those scans, I just noticed: "I'd feel better running!" Shows just how early on they did this issue. The line was like that back in the Sonic Adventure 2: The Trial demo.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    He should chat with Evan Stanley. She's my favourite artist working on the comic, perhaps she can give him a few pointers on how to get the spines to look right.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I never really took to Spaz's work. I mean the detail is certainly commendable, but a detailed drawing isn't always a good drawing. A lot of his work is hard to look at due to how damn cluttered the whole thing is.

Not to mention his occasional off model tendencies and fondness for strange poses (he was one of the first that insisted drawing all the females humanoid).

Richard Elson of STC was similar. They seemed like artists who could work great for a different franchise, but looked odd trying to work with a cartoony franchise like Sonic.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Yeah, I remember in an issue of Sonic-Grams, it was mentioned that at the time no one at the office had played anything of SA2 "Except for Spaz, who may have played the demo" or something to that effect. So The Trial would have been the only thing they would have to go on.

18. Tylinos

Tylinos

And, unfortunately, Shard's been in-not-quite-so-many-words "confirmed" as being gone, due to his vague, tangential link to Penders concepts.

https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/579376193486659584

In lighter news, though, Aleah Baker (Writer of Spark of Life, and Ian's wife) posted the first set of answers to her still-ongoing Q&A session on Bumbleking.

http://bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=423146#p423146
    http://bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=423147#p423147

Some highlights include info on the unused redesigns for Hershey and Saffron, some info on Liza the Chameleon's history post-deroboticization, a tiny bit more info on Phage (that she wants to help Eggman but he doesn't want her help), some stuff about how she tends to work on designing things, and a little info on Spark of Life's production.

If you have something you want to ask, hop in now while you have a chance.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thats fucked, thats really fucked y'know?

That was 1 character I was hoping that it avoided the bullshit ban due to its lore as a metal sonic, but no thanks to that stupid gem a whole character has to be cut instead of worked around.

That just really burns me, I waited months to hear an answer about this character. just wish he said no from the start instead of all this dickpulling for months on end.

20. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    I don't think I've ever wanted to strangle Penders more.