don't click here

Anybody seen this before?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by fuzzbuzz, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Many Many Programming/hacking tools...
    Please shoot me if this has already been discussed, or if you hate me.

Okay, so I was hacking my Sonic 1 Rom, redesigning the entire level, when something very unusual happened.

Without changing and objects, and only placing 2 53x999 tiles next to eachother, I get this strange thing that happens. The first tile, is one of those cylinders in the ground, the ones that go in an s-shape, hard time explaining it, and as soon as I get out of it, and I hit the second tile, actually the first tree in the tile, I lose all my rings. I'm going really fast out of the tube, but when I go back, just walking, not going through the tubes again, I lost all my rings again.

Here's a bigger catch. Every time I walk by that tree, my ring count resets, AND massive amounts of rings start flying from the top right and bottom right of my screen. 5 or so fly out as I move back and forth. Almost like a fountain, just I always lose the rings when I pass by the tree. Weird, huh?

I don't have pics with me, but I'll post them soon, at least if this hasn't already been discussed. :)

Fuzzbuzz

2. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    Wow that's weird. So your rings reset and rings go everywhere like a fountain. But other than that can this kill you, or nothing more than a ring reset? I can't wait to see a pic of that :lol:

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sonic 1 has 256x256 tiles, not 128x128

4. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    That's what I meant. It's been one of THOSE days... -_-

EDIT: Well, I guess I might as well post the Pics now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Damn right I double posted...*bump*

I made this crap video of it happening, well, because I can. As you will see, I'm not much of a videographer...

Sorry, but the video is in WMV format, instead of something cool like MPG. Oh well, everybody that has windows should be able to view it.

The Video.rar

So damn weird...

Fuzzbuzz

6. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

That's freaky!
    *turns ring sprites into tomatoes and then makes rings hurt you*

7. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Yep, and I have no idea what could cause it...

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Probably just an invisible object that caused sonic to get hurt.

9. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    But why don't I die after I do it multiple times, with no rings?

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I guess it's because you've put the "spill rings" object near that place, not the "kill sonic" object (if it even exists).

11. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    But I haven't changed any objects...That's the weird part. I've ONLY touched the tiles. I've only moved objects, not modified what they are.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I don't think there's any other possible explanation, as far as I know the tiles can't hurt Sonic by themselves. =|

13. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Weird. It's kinda annoying. I have to find a way to stop it from happening. I don't think my player's would appreciate their ring count going to 50 to 0. :)

14. Mecha Mazgoth

Mecha Mazgoth

Unleash thy fury. Banned
    Bowels of Hell!!!!
    Super Sonic part1: The Beginning
    1. You must have placed a lava tle there so Sonic would get hurt.
    2. You were in debug, so I belive that is why Sinic didn't die.
    Otherwise, you made an immortal Sonic. Oh noz! *shot*

15. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    If you noticed in the video, I was not in debug. So #2 doesn't work. And #1, I don't there there is lava in GHZ...

16. Mecha Mazgoth

Mecha Mazgoth

Unleash thy fury. Banned
    Bowels of Hell!!!!
    Super Sonic part1: The Beginning
    I haven't looked in the video, but 2. is off anyways.
    As for 1, you can place a lava DAMAGE sprite there, so you can, in a way, have lava in GHz.

17. raVen

raVen

He Returns Soon......... Pending Member
    now that's unusual, its like there flying right to him magically, maybe its meant to be something special, or somethings messin with the "lose rings" data, or I don't know and am probably gonna get shot.....(btw, work on your camera skills :P )

18. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

When you said modifying tiles, that should have only been an image change right? Fixing a few pixels on a tile shouldn't make any difference. Or did you port a tile or any other such things that may have effects behind them? There may be a small chance that some string of bytes across a tile is being interpreted as more than just an image, but there's probably very little that we haven't figured out in the rom. I could also use better camera experience so I can take better pics of my Tails plushies :lol:

19. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    I just used ESE to modify the level layout. That's all I did...Oh, and it seems like it's just a huge verticle line that's screwy. I was lower in my level, and when I passed directly under that same point, BAM! all my rings gone and a few ones flew at me.

Fuzzbuzz

20. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

It sort of reminds me of the Ring Station in Sonic R at the Reactive Factory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.