don't click here

Anybody ever seen this Sonic 2 copy before?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shoemanbundy, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I have no way of determining what this is since the seller has been impossible to deal with. I probably will never have it unfortunately, so I'm asking you guys so I can see if anybody recognizes it. The seller is from Brazil.

[​IMG]

All the screenshots look to be from the numerous shots you saw throughout magazines when the game was being previewed all over the place. The fact it says Sonic Hog 2 would indicate that that cover must be a pirate, since only piraters would have a reason to cut off the full name.

And just for the record, I recently found out that this..

http://www.sonic-cult.org/imagebin/sonic2p...pecoverscan.jpg

..is in fact not a Megadrive pirate, but a pirate of the SMS Sonic 2.

[​IMG]

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Definitely looks like a pirated copy. It might have the final ROM or one of various hacked versions.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Isn't it just Sonic 'Hog 2 'cos the screenshot's over it? I suppose it might still have been purposeful.

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Who knows. Also odd how the shot of Emerald Hill at the bottom right is blocked with pic of Chemical Plant over it. A recent mail with the guy, he's saying he made the cover from a "catalog." Maybe all the shots came from a magazine after all, and just the regular Sonic 2 is in there. No idea why he'd have to make his own cover though, that's just weird.

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Alright, I'm going to go about this another way.

Does anyone have any idea at all who Andre Dirk sold his Sonic 2 beta to?

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I know the wiki says somewhere, but I can't find it now I need it. This site credits him as the author, you might be able to contact him through that. (There's a mirror of the site elsewhere lacking the accreditation, but it may be useful as a starting point.)

7. Vangar

Vangar

It looks like a Sega Master System Cart.

8. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    The last photo I posted? Yeah....you may have missed where I said "..is in fact not a Megadrive pirate, but a pirate of the SMS Sonic 2." :v:

Thanks Quickman. That's a good starting point. Surprised to see it has an active forum. Wonder if the admin there is really Andre or not. Thought he must have been long gone from anyones sights for a long while now.

9. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    I found where it says who owns Andre's betas courtesy of my own edit history - it's in Hidden Palace Zone: ACLA-ATD4 on the wiki, at the bottom of the Ethiopia page. Unfortunately it's not very helpful - most of the people from back then have disappeared, and the only name we have to go on is "Tails".

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    "Tails" is the shortened version of Lostgame's old alias, "Mecha Tails." The problem is that Lostgame never had possession of this prototype. I kind of wonder how valid the entry is, given that basis.

11. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    According to the edit logs, that was added by ScarredSun in December 2004. The context suggests a direct quote from the original document, so you'd have to ask Nayr about that. Is it possible you've got confused and that there was another Tails present in the community at the time?

12. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Actually, due to an error a few years ago, all anonymous edits are now credited to me, so it's pretty dubious as to whether it was me or someone else. However, I'm guessing that yes, it was a direct quote from the document, as I just copy/pasted those with minimal formatting.

13. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I am pretty sure the Japanese Mega Drive cartridges looks like this.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    That's an export SMS cartridge, not a Japanese MD cartridge. (Japanese MD cartridges typically have a notch on the left side for the cartridge lock found in the Japanese MD1.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.