Another team, another new odd format

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MarzSyndrome, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Just when I thought extracting the roms from the more recent Sega Vintage Collections would be a piece of cake, it turns out that with the switch of emulator development teams, comes another poxy encrypted/compressed format which needs to be dissected.

The emulator structure itself is pretty neat, with folders indicating what's what, including a "roms" folder. Problem is, every file is fed through the odd new format. The header reads "mxb" (hence the name).

I've uploaded all the compressed rom files from the sets here (except for the T&J set), for those interested in examining it under their microscopes-o-fun.

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I thought the M2 was interesting. Too bad 3DO failed in the marketplace, I got one when they were marked down to a little over 100 bucks. It was great, I played Gex and Need for Speed all the time. I think being able to save in Gex made the game alot better. Plus the secret level select code let you play unused levels, some of them perfectly playable.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    This M2 is a different thing entirely. (Apparently either D or D2 started out on the M2 console?)

I'm surprised the compression format changed from the Sega Ages 2500 ones I ripped out (also M2). It doesn't appear to be lzs2 or based on it, though here is the source to the decompression program Treeki wrote if you want to try tinkering around.

The method I would use for something like this would be to disassemble the game's executable and find the code. That was how Treeki and I figured out the lzs2 format...

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Out of curiosity, did this go anywhere? Thanks.

5. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Just bumping this since it's been over a year now and I don't think anyone's really thought to look into this, nor do I see solutions elsewhere on the web.

Anyone still interested in dissecting the format? The Mediafire link in my initial post still works, quite surprisingly.