don't click here

Annoucement and Request

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mystic, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystic

Mystic

Oldbie
    Sonic Robo Blast 2
    Needless to say, I think most people here probably remember Sonic 2Z. It isn't anything new. I'm currently working on Metropolis 1, and hopefully I'll be able to complete the thing this time.

That being said, I've noticed a lack in research in a very critical area: Practical knowledge.

When I created Sonic 2Z initially, the level design of Sonic wasn't documented, and henceforth, I pretty much was running into a pitch black forest with a pocket flashlight. We already knew the format, we knew the design, but what we didn't know was the practical stuff and the details. The object listing was non-existant. Many things weren't editable.

It's been about 2 years since I left, and that hasn't changed at all. The object listing is still very similar to how I left it. It seems that no one has ventured out of EHZ and CPZ on the level design end, and those that have haven't talked much about it. I'm still using the same process for level design that I used back in 2001 when I started Sonic 2Z: Get a piece of paper and write down what all the objects are when I start a new zone. Then harass Stealth (Ultima now) to add them to the SonED configuration. I did that with Emerald Hill back when I started, and here I am three years later doing it with Metropolis.

Everyone is doing really amazing things in their hacks, no question, but the lack of the simple things is making it very hard to do those simple things. We still don't know the format of many level design things, like the Chemical Plant warp pipes. We have no clue how the Solidity Plane Switches actually function. These things will be necessary if we're ever to make level hacks that compare to the original product. I don't care what my fans say, Sonic 2Z is nothing compared to the original game's level design.

I'd like to see some people try to document the less exciting stuff in Sonic research. I know it's not as cool as altering the assembly code or adding Hidden Palace into the final, but it's very important towards the long-term goal of being able to understand how Sonic 2 really works. If we master the little things, we can make the big things that much bigger.

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Which is exactly what I'm currently trying to work on. I'm working on the CPZ pipes.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    There is some object documentation on Nemesis guides, some on Saxmans Guides, and I'm sure everyone has their own documentation collected.

Yes we do, I used a bunch of those in my hack and JUK has a huge documentation on what each one does.

4. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Johnny's doc on the tags didn't seem to be very accurate. It gives a general idea of what some of the tags do, but some of them seem to work the exact opposite way to what he noted o_O

I found out while editing CPZ that Johnny's tag documentation was fairly inaccurate, so I've done my own research on it, and with some help from Chaos, figured it out (almost completely). There is a strict pattern in how the tags work, and their sizes. Anyhow, I'm gonna be putting some visual representations of the tags in my SonED object definition files, so that should clear them up for people who use SonED. I've also posted my notes for those who don't =P

5. Mystic

Mystic

Oldbie
    Sonic Robo Blast 2
    The other thing is, where did all the new editors go? Back when I was making Sonic 2Z originally new editors and tools were coming out all the time, helping those of us who don't have any actual hacking skill (Read: me) make a hack out of Sonic 2 with very little technical knowledge. I still don't have a clue how you people do all this insane stuff, but I know how to make an okay level using the tools. It would be really nice if some people started coming out with more tools to allow us less skilled members of the community to use these more advanced features.

6. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    ...And I Totally agree with you. Less experienced people are not really good with hex codes (In fact I don't know almsot nothing for hex codes) and things like that. But using Esreal's Sonic Editor II.. I have gone to make my own hack with only 1 act done but with a whole lot of glitches.. there is always time for me to learn.. But not right now.. I have to learn how the loops work and how the 360 degree turns in 3d work.. How the layers work.. I will eventually learn how to do this.. but if there were any more programs that helped little poor NEWBS like me it would obviously greatly appreciated.. I've had my fair share of being a "fucking idiot" but like I said I will get better and make some great hack in the future when I have time. I have a crazy imagination.. and I have drawn plans and stuff like that.. But It never comes onto a hack because of me being idiotic and not learning Hex Codes. I will learn Hex Codes throughout the summer and.. I will use The Programs that people will make for less fortunate idiotic NEWBS (like me) to work on something.. And get good reputation.. (Like all the other Members Here)

Blah I let out my Two 1/2 Cents again.. It's good to let out your Emotions (Two 1/2 as I say) every now and then.. It keeps you alive and active.. I think there's something wrong with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.