don't click here

And yet again SEGA releases Sonic 1.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JaxTH, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    <!--quoteo(post=502295:date=Sep 7 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Sep 7 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502295">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502293:date=Sep 7 2010, 10:06 AM:name=MegaDash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MegaDash @ Sep 7 2010, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502293">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it turns out the illegal roms are better than the legal ports, I think the choice is obvious.

Hell, I bought Sonic Classic Collection for the DS, and Sonic 1 suffers from some slowdown. It's not crippling, but it's there. Then there's fucking Sonic Genesis, which was a travesty. Taxman was about to release a perfect port of Sonic CD to the iPhone, but SEGA seems to have banished him to the Twilight Cage indefinitely.

Whatever. SEGA's taking advantage of the retro revival and the press that Sonic 4 has garnered as of late. Pray they use whatever pretty pennies they get to develop and test better games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"SEGA's ports are of poor quality" is different and more valid than "don't buy it, you can just get the roms". That's what I'm stuck on.

Also, iirc, Taxman didn't "port" Sonic CD per se, he just imported all the assets into his home made Retro Sonic engine.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the real point behind the "easier to pirate" argument comes from the fact that sega is trying to penetrate a marketshare that has had 20+ years to download the game for free, the same people who also already own it on the original hardware or own one of the numerous re-releases.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <!--quoteo(post=502289:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:55 PM:name=SomeSortOfRobot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Sep 7 2010, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502289">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 1 = Most Ported Video Game of All Time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This point has been brought to attention other times in the past, it's a close match between Sonic 1 and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_and_ports_of_Doom" target="_blank">Doom</a>.

edit: old thread: <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=18779" target="_blank">http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=18779</a>

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    <!--quoteo(post=502234:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:40 AM:name=MarzSyndrome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarzSyndrome @ Sep 7 2010, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502234">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, for those saying it's on DVD, according to <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEGA-Mega-Drive-Classic-Collection/dp/B0040QDY0I" target="_blank">the artwork on the Amazon listing for it</a> - it isn't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's interesting because the video clearly says it's a DVD, but yeah, on Amazon and even on Sega of Europe's website, it says CD-ROM.

Mind you it's been a long time since I've seen a new PC game released on the CD-ROM format. They must really be doing it on the cheap. Though then again this looks like it was ochestrated by Sega of Europe so there's a very good chance they simply don't have manpower to give us something new. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see what emulator is used. Whether they've moved on from old versions of KGen or not.

4. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=502297:date=Sep 7 2010, 10:15 AM:name=Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dude @ Sep 7 2010, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502297">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502295:date=Sep 7 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Sep 7 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502295">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502293:date=Sep 7 2010, 10:06 AM:name=MegaDash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MegaDash @ Sep 7 2010, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502293">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it turns out the illegal roms are better than the legal ports, I think the choice is obvious.

Hell, I bought Sonic Classic Collection for the DS, and Sonic 1 suffers from some slowdown. It's not crippling, but it's there. Then there's fucking Sonic Genesis, which was a travesty. Taxman was about to release a perfect port of Sonic CD to the iPhone, but SEGA seems to have banished him to the Twilight Cage indefinitely.

Whatever. SEGA's taking advantage of the retro revival and the press that Sonic 4 has garnered as of late. Pray they use whatever pretty pennies they get to develop and test better games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"SEGA's ports are of poor quality" is different and more valid than "don't buy it, you can just get the roms". That's what I'm stuck on.

Also, iirc, Taxman didn't "port" Sonic CD per se, he just imported all the assets into his home made Retro Sonic engine.

I think the real point behind the "easier to pirate" argument comes from the fact that sega is trying to penetrate a marketshare that has had 20+ years to download the game for free, the same people who also already own it on the original hardware or own one of the numerous re-releases.

While I am a firm believer that you ought to be able to "pirate" stuff you already own a copy of, I think you're overestimating how many people actually own or still have their Genesis and games. I for one have Sonic 1 and 2 but never owned any of the other titles. Beyond the hardcore oldbies here, I'd be suprised if more than 2% of current Sonic fans actually own every Sonic Genesis game.

5. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I own 1,2,3, S&K, 3D, Spinball and Mean Bean Machine.

I have CD for Win 95, and Chaotix can suck a bag of cocks.

does that make me "hardcore"?

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=502316:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:12 PM:name=Uberham)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uberham @ Sep 7 2010, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502316">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I own 1,2,3, S&K, 3D, Spinball and Mean Bean Machine.

I have CD for Win 95, and Chaotix can suck a bag of cocks.

does that make me "hardcore"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. If you can't handle Chaotix, you're a pussy.

7. Badnik

Badnik

<!--quoteo(post=502288:date=Sep 7 2010, 12:48 PM:name=trakker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trakker @ Sep 7 2010, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502288">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Troble is, really, if you want to play any of these on the PC, there is a pretty easy and pretty free way of doing it.

legit? no, traceable? no<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ethical? no.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who have never played these games before. There are also people who don't have internet access. Sega keeps re-releasing these games because people keep buying them. Why leave money on the table like that?

Space Harrier 2, however, can eat a dick.

8. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I distinctly remember a thread on here titled "Fuck your ethics" that talked about pirating roms, but now I can't find it. Maybe it was on another forum.

But other than that, yeah, good points. It would just help SEGA if they gave people more incentive to buy compilation packs than "Hey, these are worse than the original cartridges and existing roms, but you can buy them for $30-$50 and get naught more than a cd cartridge and flimsy instructional booklet."

Also if they released Knuckles Chaotix, SegaSonic the Hedgehog Arcade, and that obscure Arcade game in working order.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=502298:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:17 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Sep 7 2010, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502298">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502289:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:55 PM:name=SomeSortOfRobot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Sep 7 2010, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502289">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 1 = Most Ported Video Game of All Time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This point has been brought to attention other times in the past, it's a close match between Sonic 1 and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_and_ports_of_Doom" target="_blank">Doom</a>.

edit: old thread: <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=18779" target="_blank">http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=18779</a>
    Sonic 1 is usually emulated, not ported, and therefore doesn;t count. Doom wins with Lemmings a close second.

Also, for everyone going "omg why is Sega wasting time and effort on these" - it's an emulator front-end with a few ROMs, the entire dev cycle considering the emulator already exists is likely measured in the weeks. Gotta give SoA SOMETHING to do. =P

10. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    It's really sad to me that there are some of your that honestly pirate things because you know that you could get away with it. I'd like to think that most people only pirate shit because the companies are too stupid or unwilling to offer the content you're after in the format you prefer/without DRM. For example, I'm more than happy to pay for Pandora premium and Netflix to stream things because they are convenient for me.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    I'll buy their collection when they actually offer more to it than just roms with an emulator. Even minor trivial things would help.

Capcom Classic Collection did it wonderfully. A bunch of arcade games, and along with the games came unlockable production art, detailed back stories, soundtrack for each game, music remixes, trivia and other extras. Not to mention the games actually played like the originals. Sure it was just a collection, but at least they went the extra mile to make it worth it.

This? This is shit. Not worth the price.

12. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

<!--quoteo(post=502360:date=Sep 7 2010, 04:14 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Sep 7 2010, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502360">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's really sad to me that there are some of your that honestly pirate things because you know that you could get away with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Getting away with it"? Where did you get that out of the arguments being made? From what *I've* read, the reasoning came out to quality. Anybody who has played SEGA's re-releases of Sonic games now that they are emulated far from perfectly. Gens + Sonic 1 [Genesis] gives you a nearly perfect experience though.

<!--quoteo(post=502226:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:50 AM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Sep 7 2010, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502226">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why on earth do they need to produce different volumes... surely they can fit more than half a dozen games and an emulator onto a DVD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On a DVD they could probably fit ALL the SEGA Genesis/Megadrive games [915 titles, am I right?] AND the emulator.

13. Yuzu

Yuzu

<!--quoteo(post=502226:date=Sep 7 2010, 03:50 AM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Sep 7 2010, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502226">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why on earth do they need to produce different volumes... surely they can fit more than half a dozen games and an emulator onto a DVD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because they can earn a hell of a lot more money by forcing people to buy the volumes to play certain games, and it's pretty much money for little effort.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<!--quoteo(post=502364:date=Sep 7 2010, 09:24 PM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Sep 7 2010, 09:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502364">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll buy their collection when they actually offer more to it than just roms with an emulator. Even minor trivial things would help.

Capcom Classic Collection did it wonderfully. A bunch of arcade games, and along with the games came unlockable production art, detailed back stories, soundtrack for each game, music remixes, trivia and other extras. Not to mention the games actually played like the originals. Sure it was just a collection, but at least they went the extra mile to make it worth it.

This? This is shit. Not worth the price.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See, they sort of went the extra distance with Gems Collection. It included the art, a few remixes and games that otherwise are very difficult to play today. And then they did Classic Collection on the DS. That was their laziest.

15. dsrb

dsrb

And before Gems Collection there was Jam, which sported a fairly impressive amount of additional content (and ports with some extra features, however diminutive). It seems that Sega's steady downhill trajectory applies to almost everything, and I say this as a relative outsider.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=502406:date=Sep 7 2010, 02:59 PM:name=Blue Blood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Blood @ Sep 7 2010, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502406">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502364:date=Sep 7 2010, 09:24 PM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Sep 7 2010, 09:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502364">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll buy their collection when they actually offer more to it than just roms with an emulator. Even minor trivial things would help.

This? This is shit. Not worth the price.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See, they sort of went the extra distance with Gems Collection. It included the art, a few remixes and games that otherwise are very difficult to play today. And then they did Classic Collection on the DS. That was their laziest.

This isn't Gems Collection though. And Gems Collection contained games that are hard to get physically nowadays so that alone was worth the price. Then they added a bunch of shit on top of that. That was a good collection.

17. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Jeez, I go away for a bit and this thread grows two more pages? :v:

<!--quoteo(post=502302:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:27 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Sep 7 2010, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502302">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502234:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:40 AM:name=MarzSyndrome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarzSyndrome @ Sep 7 2010, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502234">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, for those saying it's on DVD, according to <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEGA-Mega-Drive-Classic-Collection/dp/B0040QDY0I" target="_blank">the artwork on the Amazon listing for it</a> - it isn't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's interesting because the video clearly says it's a DVD, but yeah, on Amazon and even on Sega of Europe's website, it says CD-ROM.

Mind you it's been a long time since I've seen a new PC game released on the CD-ROM format. They must really be doing it on the cheap. Though then again this looks like it was ochestrated by Sega of Europe so there's a very good chance they simply don't have manpower to give us something new. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see what emulator is used. Whether they've moved on from old versions of KGen or not.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Something tells me this is essentially the collection available on Steam, but on an optical disc. Naturally.

<!--quoteo(post=502404:date=Sep 7 2010, 10:56 PM:name=Krigo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krigo @ Sep 7 2010, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502404">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502226:date=Sep 7 2010, 03:50 AM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Sep 7 2010, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502226">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why on earth do they need to produce different volumes... surely they can fit more than half a dozen games and an emulator onto a DVD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because they can earn a hell of a lot more money by forcing people to buy the volumes to play certain games, and it's pretty much money for little effort.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->There's actually a second volume of games out already, but curiously not on Steam. According to Sega, 12 more games were released a couple of months ago...

<a href="http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/07/22/sega-genesis-classics-release-for-pc/" target="_blank">http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/07/22/sega-...release-for-pc/</a>

Also, I've only just realised that as far as Sega are concerned, Sonic is officially not part of any MD/Genesis download pack at all, which probably explains the price-hike for titles in that series. I quite like the <a href="http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/2/9641/product/Buy-Sonic-Spinball-Download" target="_blank">new Sonic Spinball logo</a> somebody clearly made an effort at though.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    <!--quoteo(post=502290:date=Sep 7 2010, 05:58 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Sep 7 2010, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502290">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=502224:date=Sep 7 2010, 03:27 AM:name=steveswede)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steveswede @ Sep 7 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502224">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a bit of a dumb move to bring that to the PC. Not only are there better emulators for the PC than the one that comes with that collection. But the whole collection of games for the Megadrive can be so easily obtained from rom sites.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow the comments on this thread are practically giving me a headache. Do you realize what you just said? You are making the case that SEGA shouldn't release these games legally because it's so easy for us to pirate them.

Are you daft?

Oh come on. Your attacking me with your moral standard on a site that distributes hacked Megadrive games. Lets cut to the chase shall we. I'm sure Sega are fully aware that roms and emulators of their products have been on the internet for many years. I'm sure as dammit know that I read somewhere that Steve Snake even sold his emulator (before Fusion) to Sega back in the late 90's. With this in mind I was merely pointing out that it's not a clever move to bring it to the PC. Regardless of what I think about downloading roms. Ain't gonna change a damn thing of the outcome of the PC sales which I'm sure will be very poor.

I can't believe that you took a few words that I said out of context like that. I never knew the thought police were in force around here.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<!--quoteo(post=502431:date=Sep 7 2010, 11:41 PM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Sep 7 2010, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502431">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't Gems Collection though. And Gems Collection contained games that are hard to get physically nowadays so that alone was worth the price. Then they added a bunch of shit on top of that. That was a good collection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was exactly my point. And dsrb brought up Jam too. The collection are just getting worse. They're quick cash-ins now with no attempt to hide it.

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    <!--quoteo(post=502360:date=Sep 7 2010, 04:14 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Sep 7 2010, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=502360">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's really sad to me that there are some of your that honestly pirate things because you know that you could get away with it. I'd like to think that most people only pirate shit because the companies are too stupid or unwilling to offer the content you're after in the format you prefer/without DRM. For example, I'm more than happy to pay for Pandora premium and Netflix to stream things because they are convenient for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who said I wouldn't pay for those games later when I had the money?

Also when they end up being in good compilations?

Chances are I'm going to stock up on retro Genesis cartridges, so SEGA won't get my money eitherway. The only way they do is if they give me a product worth buying, like maybe the Ultimate Genesis Collection or something that includes even more obscure games like Knux Chaotix and SegaSonic Arcade.

Also: I'm a packrat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.